It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predetermined

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I have a theory here, and there isn't really a way to prove it, it's just a belief that can sort of make sense.

I'll do my best to explain.

Everything, in life, is predetermined, what you are going to do tomorrow has already been written in the history books. You think you have a choice but that's really what you were meant to do, you cannot ever go back and change it and if you somehow did, that was also meant to happen. Maybe what I'm talking about is fate or destiny, but you coming here and reading this, was planned an eternity ago.

Now, you may be thinking "Oh yea, well instead of reading all if this I'll stop now", it is what was meant, "Okay I changed my mind again (but I really didn't)", basically you cannot escape what is going to happen because it already was planned for you.

Whatever happened, was already going to happen your whole life is planned out and if you die early it was going to happen, live for 100 years, it was meant to happen.

I can't think of a way to prove this, but I mean, even thought the future can't be told, it cannot be non-existant. There has to be something there, something already planned out.

I hope this was understandable, what do ya think. Hope this is the right Forum.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I always felt more like, there were certain points in your life that were predetermined. Meeting a person, getting a disease, being poor at a certain stage of life or dying. and when we go of course a bit, something comes along and pushes you in the right (or wrong)direction. Of course i hate the thought of me not having any Real free will.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yes, you learn lessons in life. I believe some decisions are put there so you can learn from experience. There is no way around them, but you make the choice. Get what I'm saying? Kinda weird topic, don't think there's a way to prove it. Is there a way to disprove it?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The idea of predestination is very common in many religions, including Buddhism and Christianity:
en.wikipedia.org...

It was one of the principle beliefs of the Protestant sect called "Calvinism."
www.orthodoxphotos.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I've definitely been thinking about this lately. But I look at it from a different approach. I believe in God, because I find it hard not to. I just can't imagine how anything could exist without some sort of supreme being, and even though its hard to explain... well, it has to be. Otherwise, we'd be too powerful.

And, since there is God, he has to be omnipotent, because how could a supreme being not know everything? So if God knows everything, and has the entire history of the universe already planned out, then everything happens for a reason, and you can't really escape that. And I see that sort of thing all the time, where I think, "If I hadn't made that one unimportant decision, this wouldn't be happening now, years later." It just seems so planned to me. And I know people will say its just coincedence, but even from a non-religious point of view, things just seem planned sometimes.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I think about this kind of stuff all the time! I have dreams, they have a theme - they will come in series, and then soon it happens. In the near past I dreamed about people coming in and out of my apt. Now I live in a place where people like to party and I spend alot of time with the neighbors. Once, when I was depressed, I was 'thinking'? wishing? begging the 'spirits' to send me a dream about what was to come and a few days later I had this bizarre dream where I was dating Kiefer sutherland. This was bizarre because I usually have more abstract and landscape based dreams---not too populated by people, and no specific interaction either. So about a week later, on a whim, I called up this guy's personal ad (something I never had done---read them, for laughs)-and I got to talking with this guy and he said he looked like Kiefer Sutherland! He did, too!
I also experience alot of 'coincedences', etc.
I heard once-on the subject of Deja Vu - maybe we're already dead and these are just our memories.
I would like to know more of my future so I would know what I am supposed to do---I am up in the air right now. Where's destiny when ya need it?????

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Keys and Clocks
Yes, you learn lessons in life. I believe some decisions are put there so you can learn from experience. There is no way around them, but you make the choice. Get what I'm saying? Kinda weird topic, don't think there's a way to prove it. Is there a way to disprove it?

People set up their destination wth their wishes, and their achievements. They stick to the path they created, because they feel that's right way to move on. Usually those people have "predefined" future, who are too weak to react to unexpected circumstances, and they still move on the wrong path, still believing that it's the right thing to do. Then they are faced with a situation, which they just cannot explain, or simply don't have any idea on how to handle that.

Nothing is predefined, only you set up ypur future. But if you are too weak to addict to the circumstances, you may call that "predefined", but you could change that any time you wanted to, because everything depends on you. But: there are some things that you cannot change, because you may have fear regarding the consequences. There are unique people who CAN face just about any consequences, and they can even rule the World due to their amazing decisions. Those who cannot do this, simply deserve a hard labour at an unfriendly place, and a cruel boss and a cheap life on hamburger and chips.

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Vertu]

new topics

top topics

join