It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't my Rotisserie, Frame Off, Nut and Bolt '55 Conv. Chevy Bel Air Selling?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Second time posting on E-bay...bidders are within a couple of thousand dollars on my last listing and it didn't sell. We reposted yesterday and although we have more watchers, the bidding seems dead for the past 12 hours. Should I have even used E-bay? How do we sell this car? It was built only for re-sale. It has under 800 miles on the rebuild (the last 275 miles my husband put on the car just to enjoy it somewhat). The only thing we changed from the original specs were a 350 motor. This car has had so much work done. It's way too much too list and I have hundreds of pics throughout the cars progress and every single receipt to show the work done.

At $75,000.00, I thought it would be a steal...but E-bay is tricky. The first listing was so close but then the bids started going from increments of thousands to just $100 bucks. What gives?

Maybe an auction like Mecum or Barrett's? What say you car collectors?

Here's some pictures:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It's a beautiful car.

I don't know what a restored vehicle is worth. Any of 'em. I always thought they were too expensive ... but I do know the investment the restorer makes. Just can't get behind dropping $75K on an old car, when I can get a new car (that's all-around better) for 2/3 the price.

Help me understand.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
what is the standard selling price for a frame- off on that model?

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
cool so we can post stuff we want to sell on ATS now, thats awesome!!!
I have a collection of elvis pres............

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Restorations are a labor of love. Rarely will you get anything close to the money you put in to it and because you are attached to the car you over value what it is worth. Nice car, but way over priced.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

No one is trying to sell the car here and it is posted in an automotive discussion forum. I fail to see any problem with the OP.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Here was a 1 min goog search for whats available

classic cars.com has 146 of those for sale.

This one is frame-off with original motor and 172 miles, for $59,900 asking

listing

Isn't the non-standard motor a major hit to value?

At a couple g's short of your number, I would contact the bidders for second chance offer and see if they bite.

Looks like you did a great job, nice ride.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I was just thinking of that today..we need a classifieds forum here.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

No one is trying to sell the car here and it is posted in an automotive discussion forum. I fail to see any problem with the OP.

bull#, the price is listed, the photo's are listed, the specs are listed,he stated the car is for sale on another site. by proxy for all intents and purposes the car is being advertised here.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

I was just thinking of that today..we need a classifieds forum here.

why not we have everything else now, it would save some hassles. nice car though, i owned a torana lxss77. australian version of the racing chevy monza

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Changing the motor could be bringing down the value if it’s just a standard common 350. Most serious collectors would want the drive train serial numbers to match for that car, otherwise you just have a modified restored car.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
As noted by other posters, matching numbers is a big one to real collectors....

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
As many others have said a frame-off restoration is good, but its essentially meaningless to many collectors if its not a numbers matching vehicle.

Also you probably wont get the money you're wanting from a Bel-Air, BUT what you could do if this is you're kind of thing is ask for around $50-55k and put this money towards something that has a real high value like a Mopar.

Very beautiful car though.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePublicEnemyNo1

Why did you change the motor?

Do you still have it?

Op this was a huge mistake!!!!

Rebuild the old motor, reinstall!!!

It will make a huge difference to any real collector.

Plz op, this is one beauty of a restoration, on a very classy car, do it right!!!

ETA- after you get the original motor back in it, contact "berrett jackson" auto auctions.

They deal in specifically this type of restorations.

And their attendees have the deep pockets to buy it at listed price.

Another problem is real collectors want to see it in person, pics on the net are just pics on the net, not the same at all.
edit on 20-5-2015 by johnwick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01

originally posted by: Metallicus

bull#, the price is listed, the photo's are listed, the specs are listed,he stated the car is for sale on another site. by proxy for all intents and purposes the car is being advertised here.

The op isn't truing to sell it to us, they are asking advice.

In order to do so we would need info.

For example if they were asking $200,000 but never mentioned that, we would not be able to say "hey sorry it isn't gonna sell for half that much".

Don't be so touchy.

The mods would have 404ed the thread if it was a problem.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Well, it's kind of hard to make a non-collector understand and I mean that with all due respect. We kind of make an investment and fix these old cars and hope to at least get what we put into them back out. Kind of like a car stock market. I have a 2011 Cadillac CTS V8 Coupe that I can get $55K + out of right now (has lots of upgrades with an extra supercharger added). I don't get this E~bay deal that my husband started. I'm confused.

The last time I checked NADA, our car was worth $85K and that was just in January 2015. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

PS
I've seen these cars go for anywhere from $65K-$100K for a new frame off resto. Our resto is brand new.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I'm not trying to sell my car on ATS. Anymore measley "irrational" comments you'd like to make
I asked a question and if you can't contribute, then buzz off.

Got it?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I asked a specific question...what and why isn't it selling...not if anyone on ATS wants to buy it. Geesh! What's your deal with me asking a question? I also wonder why some roses are red and some are white. Why do the red roses sell better than the white ones at a farmers market? That doesn't mean I'm trying to sell roses on ATS!

Anyway, anyone with a serious answer or theory would be much appreciated. That's all I asked. Not trying to sell my car to you or anyone on ATS.

Get a life already

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Artlogic
As noted by other posters, matching numbers is a big one to real collectors....
+

From what I've noticed, a numbers matching vehicle such as our 1955 goes for upwards of $110K+ or maybe a resto-mod could go for $120K+ and up. We just have a restored frame off, nut and bolt brand new rotisserie 1955 Chevy Convertible with absolutely no sentimental value whatsoever.I should have asked you all if you have any experience selling on E~Bay a vehicle over $50K? Whether it sold and if not, why you think that might be.

Sorry if I was being vague.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: IntroduceALittleIrony

LOL...It's funny you said a MOPAR. My husband is a MOPAR fanatic. I am familiar with all the MOPAR's except for the fact that they have plummeted in value over the past 5-7 years. I personally, am a gear head for Cadillac's.

In 2006 we sold a 1968 all original 318/1968 Barracuda Fastback for $12K. Never painted...never nothing restored and it ran awesome. Wish we still had that car now. I cried when it rolled out the driveway.

Thanks for insisting on an investment in a MOPAR (my favorite car is a 1969 Hemi Charger of course). Right now, I am hanging onto my two 1979 4 sp T/A's and that's that.

MOPAR will make it's comeback one day soon

top topics

<<   2 >>

join