It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we have African American Studies and Gender Equality Studies when,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
as far as I know we do not study these two experiments in high school. To me these two experiments should be mandatory subjects that are addressed somehow within every high school and by every student. The two experiments are the Milgram experiment and the Third Wave experiment.

The Milgram experiment is a controversial experiment that showed how people can be influenced by an authority figure. It also highlights the differences between what we believe people will do morally with the reality of how people react under stress and duress from an authority figure.

The Third Wave experiment deals with how people can be swayed and follow fascist ideals without being aware of the direction their actions are leading.

I feel these experiment raise important questions on how as humans we behave in our social environment. The experiments also show the pit falls that all of us can fall into when we fail to question the motives of others. I am providing Wiki links so that people can understand the experiments in greater detail.

Has anyone had these experiments presented in high school. I did not hear about these experiments until fairly recently. I think high school discussions on both of these experiments would greatly help our future generations to understand the pit falls that all of us face.

Milgram experiment

The Third Wave

by looking at the wiki links you can see how badly things went fairly quickly.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Why would government "schools" lay it out for everyone how they're brainwashing and manipulating your children, "molding" them into loyal, unquestioning wards of the corporate state?

Kinda defeats the purpose, does it not?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Yep, I want to defeat the purpose. It may cause a lot of the unrest and unequality to disappear because people will always be looking at how they are being manipulated. Would take a lot of stress out of our lives.
edit on 19-5-2015 by feldercarb because: changed in to out of

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: feldercarb
as far as I know we do not study these two experiments in high school. To me these two experiments should be mandatory subjects that are addressed somehow within every high school and by every student. The two experiments are the Milgram experiment and the Third Wave experiment.

The Milgram experiment is a controversial experiment that showed how people can be influenced by an authority figure. It also highlights the differences between what we believe people will do morally with the reality of how people react under stress and duress from an authority figure.

The Third Wave experiment deals with how people can be swayed and follow fascist ideals without being aware of the direction their actions are leading.

I feel these experiment raise important questions on how as humans we behave in our social environment. The experiments also show the pit falls that all of us can fall into when we fail to question the motives of others. I am providing Wiki links so that people can understand the experiments in greater detail.

Has anyone had these experiments presented in high school. I did not hear about these experiments until fairly recently. I think high school discussions on both of these experiments would greatly help our future generations to understand the pit falls that all of us face.

Milgram experiment

The Third Wave

by looking at the wiki links you can see how badly things went fairly quickly.

I agree, that social psychology, i.e. the field under which the Milgram research falls, is critical to understanding everything from media to war.

But what does this have to do with your title of your op?

Those are important topics too.

By the way, just about anyone who takes an intro psychology class will learn at least a little bit about Milgram, and others. But that is at the college level usually.
edit on 19-5-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
To a very large degree, the curricula of schools in Western Civilization centered around those most powerful in society.
History guided students to study the historical achievements of these powerful people. These powerful people were for the most part, white, and male. When I was in school 50 years ago, this tendency still held true.

As people who did not fit this category began insisting that our schools present a broader perspective of human experience, Afro and feminine studies developed to begin covering those bases that had for so long been ignored. Simple.

The rest of your question is answered easily also. Those two experiments go UN-taught because they would help young people to, as you say avoid the pitfalls that keep people from knowing how they are controlled. It seems to me like these types of things are taught in colleges because maybe those who learn them in college can to on to help continue this system while those who only have high school education will never amount to much beyond short order cook.

But yes, I see you are ranting here and basically asking rhetorical questions and I reply, hell yes. I agree. Our high schools are bunk.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The Progressive Stockholm Syndrome.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I teach /lecture at FE /HE level and it is my opinion that philosophy, ethics, morals and group / community psychology should be taught as standard to appropriate levels for all students of all years /levels. It facilitates comprehension and the rationale behind curriculum objectives.

Though whether the nations governments want such comprehension is another matter. Knowledge is an enabler.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Why would government "schools" lay it out for everyone how they're brainwashing and manipulating your children, "molding" them into loyal, unquestioning wards of the corporate state?

Kinda defeats the purpose, does it not?

Let me guess, you also think that Obama is a Reptilian overlord that is in cahoots with the Pope to create the NWO with the use of Project Blue Beam?

/fail

Those experiments have been taught in some high schools and many junior colleges throughout the country.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
I teach /lecture at FE /HE level and it is my opinion that philosophy, ethics, morals and group / community psychology should be taught as standard to appropriate levels for all students of all years /levels. It facilitates comprehension and the rationale behind curriculum objectives.

Though whether the nations governments want such comprehension is another matter. Knowledge is an enabler.

Add in formal logic and reasoning as part of those courses or as part of math since you really need logic to properly understand math anyhow.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: feldercarb

You think that could cause inequality and unrest to disappear? Good luck with that. Those who feel the unrest and inequality WANT to keep it going.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienmma

Those experiments have been taught in some high schools and many junior colleges throughout the country.

Such as?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I did not hear about these experiments until fairly recently.

Yah, I'm in the same boat as you: heard about it within the last few years and had the same reaction that you seem to have had.

I totally agree with you. It should replace what? Social Studies. right?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

reply because african american history is part of regular american history.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Because you cannot Elect not to pay for sh!t classes called Electives for most useless degree programs.

edit on 19-5-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I am pretty much replying only to your headline:

BECAUSE ALL THE WORLDS HISTORY IS BEING STUDIED IN SCHOOL! WHY NOT STUDY AFRICAN AMERICAN AND WOMENS HISTORY AS WELL?

I know, I know all caps...but yeap. Why? Because, it's necessary to understand ALL cultures and both sexes. Maybe you'll think about that for a minute or two. At least I hope you do.

BTW, how many times have you travelled outside the US or wherever you live? Just a curious question.

Interesting perspective and OP

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I think Mr. Carlin knew the answer a long time ago.
(video contains coarse language)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
It was interesting that this came up. I watch Deadliest Catch, and last night one of the younger captains was self-destructing. Dude has had drug problems for a couple seasons now, and this year, he's using right on the boat.

So, here he is going off to his cabin and smoking, and he tells his relief captain to run the boat because he's been using and can't drive. Then he starts showing up just enough to contradict the relief captain and make crazy decisions like firing an experienced deck hand who is expressing concern when the clearly high captain shows up on deck and runs around like a kid and putting a complete rookie on two of the most difficult jobs on the boat, endangering everyone.

You have five or six other guys watching this one man self-destruct and endanger them all in the process, and they could easily over power him and do what they needed to get off the sea intact. But that all take it. I am thinking about this thread and the experiments about authority and how people have trouble contradicting it even when they know it's wrong.

top topics

join