It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon App Update

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Via Google Play my Amazon App needed to update. It wanted access to my contacts and SMS. What a bunch of B. S. There should be a law against this kind of crap.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
No law should be put in place to prevent YOU from downloading a free app that wants your information! If you don't want to give them the permission, uninstall the app!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I totally agree with your point, but complaining about it on here won't change their mind. But the times they are a changing, maybe not keep stuff on your phone you're afraid might get you in trouble?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I disagree with you. No application free or not should be allowed, ever, to collect my information. It's fundamentally wrong.

I do agree I have a choice. I can not install it or I can uninstall it.

a reply to: Illumin

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

Why do you think they want that information? Sure sure, I can agree that these apps that are just games shouldn't need your info, but the idea behind the gathering of info in most of these apps is to better serve you. It takes what you like, what you enjoy, and then presents to you ads etc. relating to your own personal interests. Is that not helpful? Technology is not entirely evil! A representative from Google Play has never called my dad out of the blue and was like "hey, just found your number on this idiots phone, thought I'd see what's up".

We are moving in a direction where life is becoming more efficient and accommodating and we shouldn't be afraid of progress. Yes Big Brother is always watching us, but your phone, laptop, GPS all allow that in the first place, and if a company offers you a service and requires some info from you they shouldn't be put on trial. Again, you have the choice to let them!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I agree technology is great. I came from an era when there were no PC's, laptop's, smartphones, etc.. I love this technology.

I do agree some of these applications are attempting to help me and others.

If you would please help me understand why Amazon wants access to my contacts and my SMS.

a reply to: Illumin

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

If you are interested in buying a new bicycle, or a new camera, and you start searching online for one. The next thing you know, you're on ATS and there is an advertisement on the side of the page for the same bike you just looked at. How'd that get there? Because now the ads accommodate your search history, your personal interest. If you go searching for a new camera, ads pushing Tylenol aren't going to start showing up.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Its the way the os in your phone works!
You have to give persmission for it to access the hardware etc.
However!!!
Thats where the problem lays, you have no way of knowing whether they will use that permssion to steal your data.

Thats why I creat my own apps.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Ok more detailed explanation.
If I create an app that say....reminds me of unread texts, I have t give that app permission to be able to acces the texts so that it can search for unread texts.
Without that permissoon it cant work.
However, when we give that permission, there is nothing to stop the app from also stealing your text data.
Thats why there's so many free apps, they collect YOUR data!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I agree. This data collection should be made illegal. I don't have a problem providing my permission to help with the operation of the app. I did not give permission to have the app secretly collect my private data.

a reply to: VoidHawk

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bucsarg
I agree. This data collection should be made illegal. I don't have a problem providing my permission to help with the operation of the app. I did not give permission to have the app secretly collect my private data.

a reply to: VoidHawk

It should be law that they MUST tell you if they intend collecting data, and they also should make it very clear exactly what data they will take.

I agree with your rant though, there are so many apps that are free, and dont actually need ny permissions to do their job, and yet they still ask for permissions, obviously because they want to steal data.
Just take a look at all the people downloading free games!!! Guess whats happening to their data?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
what are you running it on?

Android or iOS?

On Android, you can remove all the permissions. Run Z4 root, then Permissions remover.

Get all the free stuff without paying the "price."

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: ipadsux

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Android. Thank you.

a reply to: Mandroid7

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
If you're using an Android device you can block individual permissions for apps with App Ops. It's been a part of Android since Kit-Kat, but you may have to root and modify an xml file or two if it's not available in Settings. Of course, any functionality in the app that explicitly requires any permissions you disable will cease to work.

On a side note, it's Amazon...And you're pissed because they want your information? Really? It's bot like that's a surprise.

new topics

top topics

join