It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statin drug use nearly doubles your risk of diabetes, study claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Statin drugs are bad, bad, bad.

The use of cholesterol-lowering statin drugs could double your risk of developing diabetes, suggests a study conducted by researchers from the VA North Texas Health System and the University of Texas Southwestern that was published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine on April 28.

Previous studies have shown a link between statin use and increased diabetes rates, but the new study is the first to show that statins seem to increase diabetes risk even in otherwise healthy people who are not predisposed to the disease.

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=19362022]wasaka[/post
Thank you very much for this. As a diabetic I have some information to go back to the doc with . Now I realize why my A1c has been going up (possibly) . I have changed nothing in my lifestyle as far as I know , but yet it has been holding high for a while.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

That is why I just stick to the Satin ones!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Maybe people with high cholesterol also have an above average chance of suffering from diabetes...

I want to get some government funds to study whether a statistically abnormal percentage of fiercely religious snake bite victims suffer from a decrease in basic intelligence. Unfortunately for me, I have no PHD and therefore am deemed unqualified for such lofty endeavors.

V

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
And the diabetes risk is just a drop in the bucket of statin dangers!

My husband has always been a 'doctors know best' type person, but after showing him the extensive research I found on the many dangers of statin drugs, he was convinced to taper off of them...

Here is a link: www.greenmedinfo.com...

to a site with pages of research articles which report on medical studies showing such side effects to statin use as:

Rheumatoid arthritis

Increased risk of various types of heart disease, including calcification of arteries

Increased risk of Melanoma and other cancers

Neurotoxicity

Neuropathy (my husband was actually experiencing this in his feet and didn't know why until reading the research study!)

Impaired mental processing (on another site, I read about people actually experiencing bouts of amnesia!)

Impairment of the body's ability to utilize nutrients in food

Decrease in energy levels

Depressed mood

Increase in irritability

There is a lot of info out there, if you look for it...Unfortunately, doctors are very ill informed about the dangers of statins and are prescribing based on what they are told by the pharmaceutical companies who are, of course, down playing the risks in order to get the doctors to prescribe!

I don't have a link, but I found articles out of Great Britain talking about how legal action was taken by some ( I believe, medical school) doctors who discovered that the pharmaceutical industry had failed to divulge a lot of statin risks which had turned up in their medical trials!

A warning: If you are on statins and decide to get off, do not stop abruptly! You have to wean off of them over a month or more depending on your dose...

...otherwise, you are at risk for a severe 'rebound' effect, which could cause heart attack or stroke...

edit on 19-5-2015 by lostgirl because: trying to fix link

edit on 19-5-2015 by lostgirl because: fixed Yayy!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Utterly obtuse...the article states " even in otherwise healthy individuals not predisposed..."

The facts are pharmaceuticals are dangerous, over prescribed and under studied over the long term. Cholesterol is the basic building block of our bodies. Everyone really needs to catch a clue and learn to think for themselves.
reply to: Variable

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There has been research going on in Finland which actually said that statins make cholesterol stuck more closely together and sticks much harder in system. 20 years with statins use in Finland showed that instead of helping heart related diseases ( aorta raptures etc ) has raised 40% and also angioplasties are being done five times more than 20 years ago when they started to use statins.
Researchers used information find in statistics ( causes of deaths ) and there is surely connection to pancreas inflammation and increase of type 2 diabetes in both sexes about 50%.
Finnish link in finnish

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Indeed....since the reason we find cholesterol in arteries is that it is there to repair vascular tissues.

since cholesterol is the precursor to hormones its reduction via statins is absurd of course there would be a correlation to reduced insulin...not too mention every other hormone etc...nobody ever died from cholesterol. ..only the symptom of another problem cholesterol was present to fix.

the problem lay in our reductionist theory in science. Isolates and their refined ilk are the basis for todays chronic ills.

to: dollukka

edit on 19-5-2015 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Indeed....since the reason we find cholesterol in arteries is that it is there to repair vascular tissues.

since cholesterol is the precursor to hormones its reduction via statins is absurd of course there would be a correlation to reduced insulin...not too mention every other hormone etc...nobody ever died from cholesterol. ..only the symptom of another problem cholesterol was present to fix.

the problem lay in our reductionist theory in science. Isolates and their refined ilk are the basis for todays chronic ills.

to: dollukka

Actually, you are pretty right on that. I studied the origination of the cholesterol subject. It was only a correlation brought up by another scientific organization and the medical and Pharma jumped on it and started making money.

This is just about making money and doping people so they will believe that the medicines are making them better when they are actually making them worse. The old saying, just think what you would be like if you weren't taking the meds is just a scam half the time.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Appreciate the back up..after 24 years working in alternative medicine in every capacity things like this drive me mad. reply to: rickymouse

top topics

join