It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Police Feared "Trekkies" Would Overthrow Government.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You know, many trekkies insist that the correct nomenclature is 'trekkers.' I proclaim that we rename bronies 'broners.'

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Isn't Earth under a one world government in Trek? I would think TPTB would be ok with this, no?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
We prefer to be called "Trekkers", thank you very much!

I am now going to "Vulcan neck-pinch" my way into authority.

Don't be daft, you're just a fat, chain smoking, whiskey swilling wabbit that looks like Churchill. How could you command authority and powe...Oops! Maybe you do have a point.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Trekkies taking over the government was actually a very real threat in the late 1990's, that was until us Star Wars fans sorted them out.

And then you started your own religion. So why aren't you all on a list?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

a reply to: wasaka

Haha! That's just usual monitoring of population stuff isn't it.
I imagine the Trekky thing was just a report of minor importance, 'just to keep an eye' on it as a possibility.
I know I'm on loads of lists, from sabbing fox hunts in the 90's then later environmental and anti war protests.
Plenty of folk recorded as 'known associates' on my police record lol

edit on 19.5.2015 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
MEH.
A Klingon is only a Klingon.
YOU may all go about your business until my fleet arrives...

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well,once again-Sheeeiiit.
The cops were predending to worry about sci fi fans,when in fact they were getting payed to watch star trek and the X files.
Lucky bastards or what?

Cops:"Oh sarge,by the way-we need the latest massive TV to monitor the X files,in case the whole country goes Jim Jones."
Sarge: "Of course people,its already on the way to the purposely built lounge area.Have at it."

Neo Britain,Once again I am not proud of you.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Junkheap

Haha! That's just usual monitoring of population stuff isn't it.
I imagine the Trekky thing was just a report of minor importance, 'just to keep an eye' on it as a possibility.
I know I'm on loads of lists, from sabbing fox hunts in the 90's then later environmental and anti war protests.
Plenty of folk recorded as 'known associates' on my police record lol

The FBI actually tracked people who bought Falafel,you know-just in case they were a terrorist because of the food they ate.."Follow The Falafel Trail"
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Imagine if they tried that in Manchester UK,the entire student population would be on the list.
OK I admit it:I like falafel and the x files at the same time if possible.
Never would have thought the cops would be interested in that.

edit on 19/5/2015 by Silcone Synapse because: beans

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The day of bunch of nerds take over the power structure of a government is the day the corrupt leaders have moved on to some where else. I would think that group would have been at the bottom of the list. Looks like paranoia knows no bounds.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Maybe they were really worried about invasion by the IRS?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Nah, most folk here know all they have to do is legally/officially leave the UK to be free of tax authorities.
...unlike the US of of course, one of only two countries in the world which still taxes it's citizens when they earn their income while living abroad. The other country is Eritrea lol

*Edit*
...land of the free eh?
edit on 19.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Bunch of jumped up petty minded little hitler official's, Targ's if you ask me?.
This is a ridiculous example of them wasting tax payer money to jutify there wages by concocting threat's that are not there, possibly to pump up statistic's and get themselves more power's by adding another neferious group, still my money is on the guy with the phasor and photon torpedo any day.

Made me chuckle, what a load of numpty's.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I know. It was commentary on how the IRS invades anything and everything. I wouldn't put it past them to try taxing foreign nations, too.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Maybe Star Trek is too near the truth, like it's how it actually is, that they don't want people to know and Trekkies 'knew too much'.

Trekkers is like Hikers, as in Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.... it's all making sense.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Reminds me of the FBI putting "Insane Clown Posse" fans on the possible terrorist list.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Leg it lads! They're onto us!

I vote Picard for President of the United Federation of Planets, since he is an unmitigated badass.

Ok, silliness dispensed with for a moment (a glaring break with tradition if ever there was one), it has to be said that of all the things I have heard coming out of our security services over the course of my life, this has to be one of the stupidest things I have come across.

First of all, a proper Trekkie is a threat to no bugger. I know A LOT of Trekkies. I am a massive nerd for anything Trek related myself, aside from that ghastly abortion that was the Enterprise being captained by Scott Bakula...eesh! The one thing that I have noted is that people who are seriously into the Star Trek universe, are captured as much by the ethos of IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, the core principle of Vulcan philosophy, and a concept which helped from the UNFP) as they are by the way individual episodes play out, the look of the show, and the way the different factions within it come together.

Of all the possible sources of danger and threat, a group of people dedicated to that principle, are about as lethal to the human race as clean air and plenty of exercise is!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
LMAO, makes me wonder what they thought about the sociopolitical desires of the Men In Black fans XD

We prefer to be called "Trekkers", thank you very much!

I am now going to "Vulcan neck-pinch" my way into authority.

THAT'S up for debate, my furry friend. I'm of the Trekkie faction, we're currently at fan-war with Trekkers over which term is proper.
edit on 5/19/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The story originates in papers released in 2005 (yes, our newshounds are hot on the trail of this one) following a Freedom of Information Act request by ufo researcher David Clarke. Apparently someone in the British police got the idea that Star Trek and X-Files devotees might spawn a suicide cult.

Details are on Dr Clarke's blog: drdavidclarke.co.uk...

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Curse you!

I never realized that you were of that foul faction that would demean themselves by such a disparaging title as "trekkie".

*snort*

*harumf*

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Curse you!

I never realized that you were of that foul faction that would demean themselves by such a disparaging title as "trekkie".

*snort*

*harumf*

FOUL faction? Foul? How dare you, you sniveling heathen! < throws Captain Picard action figure at Beezzer >

Wait, give him back, please?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join