It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The anti austerity survival guide. Hints, tips, advice and help for a better future.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
a reply to: flammadraco

There are elderly people today who *may* if they applied be entitled to some

benefits, but were brought up in a different era to have a degree of pride

and not expect hand outs.

Today people grow up with an *entitlement* chip on their shoulders!

The world "entitlement" is thrown around to the slaves and poor and struggling. It is not applicable to them.

The elite, the 1%, the demons in training, the snotty nosed cosmic juvies, depends on what you wanna call them, have taken the land and resources of this planet from the people. Welcome to hell and the dark side for all realms based on that kind of "entitlement" are hell realms.

There are many different versions of eutopias that could have been explored on this planet with freedom to move around from paradigm to another, but the majority who are the losers in this game, and especially if they don't have the health to be a good slave, but the majority if you count it world wide, do not have an "entitlement" complex, they are entitled to justice and return of their free will and resources.

The only group that this term is applicable too, with its implied meaning, is the 1% demons in training.
edit on 19-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

There's a reason the're calling it the MEllennial generation...

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: nonspecific don't forget to smile? It could be worse.

Smile or no smile it could always be better too.

As I said many people seem to be happy to sit there and blame society and life for there problems but when offered help or advice they seem to feel that the effort involved in making it better is too much like hard work and continue to be miserable.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I agreed with all your comments apart from the "Tax Credits". I've staff who refuse to work more hours as they loose their tax credits. These staff would rather be paid by the goverment to sit on their arses after working just 16 hours a week and receive this tax credit.

I believe the tax credit system should be means tested and before handing the credit to anyone the employer should be contacted to see if the employee was offered more hoursand if they refused more hours offered then they loose their tax credits. Everyone thinks they are screwing the government but it's the tax payer that's being screwed!!

I understand what you're all saying but I work with this on a daily basis year in, year out and people will abuse the system designed to help folk and everyone will end up loosing out!

To add to your point that tax credits subsidise businesses, this is ludicrous! Tax credits are paid directly to your bank account, nothing to do with the employer.

edit on 19.5.2015 by flammadraco because: Fat fingers - small keyboard

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

But the 1% don't even pay their taxes due and so it's the working mans tax paying for these bums as they think they are entitled to be kept by the state/ tax payer.

The working Man paying tax is screwed by the bankers, screwed by the 1% and screwed by the bums that refuse to work!! Perhaps if all us tax payers went on strike then these bums, bankers and 1% would realise which side their bread is buttered!
edit on 19.5.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I agree with your sentiments and those of others but the point of the op was to try in tiny little ways to look at the things we can change, to offer support or advice to others to raise the standard of living.

The bigger picture is obviously out of our hands as these same arguments and excuses have been the cry of the common man for generations.

I think we should be looking to accept the things we cannot change and focus on changing the things we can.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific People have to make sacrifices. I'm pretty low maintenance. I live with my retired parents, don't have kids, don't drink, don't smoke, don't have expensive hobbies, don't buy expensive clothes, won't be around to collect a pension, so I'm not really bothered about being austere or advising others on how they should live their lives. Im rarely miserable so don't feel the need to pull myself up by the bootstraps or get on my bike, but some people love to dish out these pearls of wisdom to look down on others which is always quite pathetic. All I know is money will never make you happy so if money is the problem people need to look elsewhere for satisfaction in their lives

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

It was never intended to be a question of money making people happy or some twisted sense of superiority.

It was simply an attempt to come together and as I said earlier find a little hope and information to make life just a little better every day.

Sorry if you did not see it in that way,

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I just find these threads turn out to be nothing more than a finger wagging exercises for those who like to cast judgement on people who are unfortunate enough to be on benefits.

I'm not saying this was your intention, but you see how these things work out. In the process we lose sight of those who really caused the reasons for austerity in the first place. Hint, it's not those on benefits.

A report today by the imf reveals 10 million a minute is being spent by governments subsidising fossil fuel energy companies, more than any nation spends on healthcare. Yet we see posts here about entitlement and entitled generations.

The disparity in wealth between rich and poor has also been highlighted as reasons for a future possible financial crash. Yet people like to sit around and wag the finger at people on benefits.

It just shows how easy it is to shift blame and blame scapegoats and dividing people so they are easier to manipulate
edit on 19-5-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

If that is the case then the thread will die out soon then and that is a shame in my opinion.

As I have said a few times now there is little it seems we can do about the bigger picture so was just looking at the little picture in the hope that maybe someone could suggest something that could make life a little better but there you go.

If people are happier blaming the powers that be and ranting on about the same old unsolveable problems and unwilling to offer a helping hand or handy tip then there really is little else to say.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific I said people need to make sacrifices and look for something more than money and material objects in their life. Pretty good advice others have mentioned growing and making their own food again good advice. Maybe others will chip in with their scrimping and saving advice. But I imagine more will talk about entitlement generations and benefit scroungers, especially after watching benefit street tonight

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

a reply to: nonspecific I said people need to make sacrifices and look for something more than money and material objects in their life. Pretty good advice others have mentioned growing and making their own food again good advice. Maybe others will chip in with their scrimping and saving advice. But I imagine more will talk about entitlement generations and benefit scroungers, especially after watching benefit street tonight

Well if that is the case and everyone wishes to discuss the unsolvable problem and ignore any possible solutions I shall leave them too it.

As I imagine you will also.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

No one in this thread has cast aspersions on everyone on benefits. In fact what has been said was those in need should get more.

The ones on benefits that are being discussed on this thread are those who can work but refuse to do so.

Surely you must agree that we have a group of people pouncing of the state when they are able to work but refuse to do so? I just do not understand the younger generation saying there is no work, then bloody move to an area where there is work. I had to move to get on in life as have many folk.

That's not saying that there are folk who have worked and through no fault of theirs they loose their jobs. Of course we should help anyone in these circumstances until they are back on their feet. But I dispise paying taxes to fund those who refuse to work because they are bone idol!

However all of this was off topic and we've disgressed again. Perhaps you should change the thread title nonspecific as the idea was great!

edit on 19.5.2015 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Don't get ill or lose your job. Pretty simple really. Move back in with your parents? Don't have kids

Don't have any hobbies... don't go on holiday, don't eat healthy organic food - shop at iceland, don't have any dreams, hopes or aspirations for a better job or life, make sure you look after number one and screw everyone else, pat yourself on the back for voting Tory and not being "dole scum", turn your underwear inside out and then back to front, saves on washing, eat out of supermarket bins but don't get caught as that's like a serious criminal offence but bankrupting the country will land nobody in jail, use freecycle and gumtree to trade and swap unwanted gifts and get that new utensil you need.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

edit on 19/5/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

Don't get ill or lose your job. Pretty simple really. Move back in with your parents? Don't have kids

Don't have any hobbies... don't go on holiday, don't eat healthy organic food - shop at iceland, don't have any dreams, hopes or aspirations for a better job or life, make sure you look after number one and screw everyone else, pat yourself on the back for voting Tory and not being "dole scum", turn your underwear inside out and then back to front, saves on washing, eat out of supermarket bins but don't get caught as that's like a serious criminal offence but bankrupting the country will land nobody in jail, use freecycle and gumtree to trade and swap unwanted gifts and get that new utensil you need.

Was that the b side to Baz Lurmans everybody needs to wear sunscreen?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

No... it's the 2015, Austerity Re-release... Instead of Luhrmann they have used Gideon George Osbourne, just to drive the message home.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yet the "how to you eat your steak" thread is storming up the most flagged on the live feed.

Maybe austerity is not as bad as it is made out to be?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Yet the "how to you eat your steak" thread is storming up the most flagged on the live feed.

Maybe austerity is not as bad as it is made out to be?

Wait... there's a STEAK THREAD???

What the **** am I doing here???

*legs it to steak thread*

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I hear what you are saying, but I would rather that a tiny, and by that I mean close to statistically irrelevant number of persons got away with what amounts to some pretty minor scamming, than any one of the genuine, extremely hard working and put upon folk out there who are on benefits despite having made every effort to avoid it have to suffer one single unwelcome letter from DWP. For the government to consider jumbling the lives of the huge number of innocent people who are going to get caught up by over zealous and poorly aimed cost savings initiatives, rather than starting with the tens of billions that are flying out of the coffers as part of a deliberate, industrial corporate scam, is just appalling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join