It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy shoots through window, kills friend trying to wake him

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Yea. This is tragic. Even properly trained people make mistakes. Especially being woke up in the middle of the night. You should never shoot at an unidentified target. I will agree he should not have had access to the fire arm. Even though we see many stories about children defending their homes and families with them. He should have went to an adult.

Assuming he thought this was an intruder, how scared do you think he was? Thats why children shouldn't have guns. We can't expect them to have the mental capabilities to make important snap judgments like that.

I have woke up a few times in my life thinking there was someone in my house. I grab my pistol and i make my rounds. (Safely) what he did is definately not an accident. This is negligence. You can't just start off firing shots at shadows. There should be some kind of punishment but nothing too severe. He will need counseling more than anything.

Horrible story. But i still want to keep my weapons.

a reply to: PhoenixOD

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: bobbypurify

Accidents do happen. Sounds to be one. I doubt he meant to shoot his friend in the head.

"Home defense at its finest"

What's this supposed to mean? Some snide remark at citizenry being able to keep guns at the home?

Why can't accidents happen and everyone just leave it at that? Why does it incite everyone's opinion and blame? People die, we can't cure that. Accidents happen too.

Wake me up when guns start going off by themselves and killing people.

I generally agree with your points, however, a 15 year old with a firearm that shoots through a window at a noise isn't an accident, it's a "negligent."

Negligent on the part of the parents that obviously didn't teach him correctly and permitted access to a firearm without said proper teaching.

Negligent on the part of the boy who shot at an unknown target just because he heard a noise. I knew better at 15 and I knew the proper rules of gun handling.

Sure, it's negligent. I can agree with that. But, that's part of our lives. It's sad but I framed it as an accident meaning he didn't have intentions of killing his friend. I probably should have worded it differently.

I just don't like how now everyone's a judge of these parents, firearms and all the sudden an expert on where or what should have taken place. I guess this is commonplace nowadays.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
You come to my house cheesin' around a second floor, bedroom window, in the night ... I'm not gonna 'investigate' what the Hell you re doin' out there ... and you're not gonna survive.

The mistake lies with the parents of the boy who was shot. They should've taught their son better than they did.

Spade.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: Kryties

Accidents do happen. Sounds to be one. I doubt he meant to shoot his friend in the head.

What's this supposed to mean? Some snide remark at citizenry being able to keep guns at the home?

Why can't accidents happen and everyone just leave it at that? Why does it incite everyone's opinion and blame? People die, we can't cure that. Accidents happen too.

So I guess you fully agree with handing 15 year olds loaded weapons to keep in their rooms? As long as nobody tries to take your guns right??

Yes, why not?

Do you cut you 15 year olds steak for them?

You mean you would hand a 15 year old a knife that could kill someone???

Oh my god, are you crazy!!!?

Sarcasm off.

I guess having to deal with a driven-crazy 15 year old with a knife is much easier than a firearm pistol with 19rounds

and in this case a knife wouldn't have shot dead his friend from that distance!

Your logic and the people who share it, are the instigates that allow gun ''accidents'' to happen.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Just because he didn't know WHOM he was shooting, doesn't make it an accident. He shot ON PURPOSE.

I do feel awful for the kid, his parents and the family of the kid who was killed. Tragic, but not an accident.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
You come to my house cheesin' around a second floor, bedroom window, in the night ... I'm not gonna 'investigate' what the Hell you re doin' out there ... and you're not gonna survive.

then you will take the chance of killing someone you know just like this kid did. Proper training means you ident your target.

The mistake lies with the parents of the boy who was shot. They should've taught their son better than they did.

Spade.

That is ridiculous. But i guess some folks can't turn the sarc off.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick
Well of course I was not there, and of course he did not mean to shoot his " friend"..I will go out on a limb and say he meant to shoot what was on the other side of the window..not a stretch as it is what has been described. Who ever taught you all to shoot at an unidentified targets.
Very tragic for 2 families.

edit on 19-5-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2015 by vonclod because: word "window" has vanished from my post??

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

What is this, 1954? Are we in a God damned Enid Blyton novel all of a sudden? The application of a simple text message would have made this whole thing a damn sight less dangerous!

I live in a town center and you see a lot of 'druggie' types throwing small stones at their dealers windows to get them to answer the door.

I wonder if he really didnt mean to shoot him..

edit on 19-5-2015 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Sad story....but similar to negligent acts by teens all the time....more often in cars though. Poor judgement.

Source

A teen swerved into oncoming traffic and crashed his sports car in Queens late Wednesday — killing his friend who was sitting in the passenger seat, police said.
The 19-year-old driver was on Beach 127th Street and Beach Channel Drive in Far Rockaway when the Nissan 350Z crossed into oncoming traffic around 11:20 p.m. and collided with a Kia Spectra with two people inside, cops said.
The driver of that vehicle, a 29-year-old woman, was with a 21-year-old man and they both suffered minor injuries, cops said.
The passenger of the Nissan, Geovanni Balverdy, 19, was rushed to St. John’s Hospital, where he died, authorities said.

Negligence and accidents happen every day. This one involved a kid driving a sports car at high speed, losing control and killing his friend....and injuring a couple other people he hit in the process. Does this mean all people with cars are bad, or just the ones that are negligent about following proper procedure when dirving?

I do love the OP's continual efforts to "shoot" down gun owners though.....never gets old......

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Something no one has pointed out yet, is that this is Montana. There is a deep seeded gun culture there so i'm not sure i can claim surprise that a 15 yo has his own fire arm.

reply to: Woodcarver

edit on 19-5-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

then you will take the chance of killing someone you know just like this kid did. Proper training means you ident your target.

Spade.

Why would someone I know be crawling around my roof in the dead of night? This is the behavior of serious/dangerous/desperate criminals in some parts of the world. Who knows what that neighborhood is like?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Accidental shooting: Shooter did not intent to shoot a person/gun went off without help.

Intentional shooting: Shooter aims & intends to hit their target.

This was most certainly not an accident, he intended to hit his "intruder". The fault here is squarely with the parents. IF you're going to give a gun to a kid, you damn well better train them thoroughly, or pay someone to. Otherwise, if they're not trained to restrain their teenage brain's impulses, s*&# like this happens.

Piss-poor parenting, plain & simple. That friend would still be alive had they simply not given him a weapon, and might still be alive if he'd had sound training for using the gun in the first place.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Something no one has taken into consideration yet, is that this is Montana. There is a deep seeded gun culture there so i'm not sure i can claim surprise that a 15 yo has his own fire arm.

Then wouldnt the boy have known some basic rules of not firing at unidentified threats?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

The only thing negligent is your train of thought. Why is this solely the parents fault for negligence and not the teenagers fault. Someone who is fifteen is not a child they are a teenager. At sixteen I worked forty hours a week while attending secondary school, to pay for my $10,000 94' z28 camaro I bought. I was a night sous chef at an upper end restaurant in charge of a fifteen man line during summer. At age ten I had high power rifles and ammunition in my room and would never think twice about having it there. If I wanted I could load it and shoot whatever I wanted, but there would be consequences to that action as there is with any faction of life. Accidents do happen, not saying this is an accident as I will never encompass the whole scenario and story leading to this tragic loss of life.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This does not give you a legal excuse to start shooting out your windows at the unknown. Nor a moral excuse to side step proper rules of engagement.

a reply to: Snarl

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

I generally agree with your points, however, a 15 year old with a firearm that shoots through a window at a noise isn't an accident, it's a "negligent."

Negligent on the part of the parents that obviously didn't teach him correctly and permitted access to a firearm without said proper teaching.

Negligent on the part of the boy who shot at an unknown target just because he heard a noise. I knew better at 15 and I knew the proper rules of gun handling.

Sure, it's negligent. I can agree with that. But, that's part of our lives. It's sad but I framed it as an accident meaning he didn't have intentions of killing his friend. I probably should have worded it differently.

I just don't like how now everyone's a judge of these parents, firearms and all the sudden an expert on where or what should have taken place. I guess this is commonplace nowadays.

At 15, I knew and followed the 4 rules. I post them here and highlight the one he violated.

Treat every firearm as if it's loaded. ...
Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy. ...
Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it. ...
Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.

I don't have a problem, necessarily, with a 15 year old having a gun in his room if he is responsible and well trained. Heck, I had one in my room when I was that age--an M1 Carbine, .30 caliber, that I bought with my summer job money.

However, he obviously shot without knowing who or what he was shooting at and therein lies the problem.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Spade.

Why would someone I know be crawling around my roof in the dead of night? This is the behavior of serious/dangerous/desperate criminals in some parts of the world. Who knows what that neighborhood is like?

When I was this kid's age, I had my best friend come a few blocks over in the middle of the night because she woke up to use the bathroom, and heard her mom & her mom's then-boyfriend bumping uglies in their bedroom. She knocked on my window, several times. I carefully peeked through the blinds and recognized it was her. At NO point did I assume a weapon was needed. 911 crossed my mind briefly before my mind registered who it was.

We spent about an hour outside with my telescope, ogling stars. No harm done, nothing thought other than "Do I need to wake mom to call the cops?" The fact that you as an adult would blindly shoot without checking is disturbing. aren't you one of the military on here?? (apologies if I'm incorrect)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Something no one has pointed out yet, is that this is Montana. There is a deep seeded gun culture there so i'm not sure i can claim surprise that a 15 yo has his own fire arm.

reply to: Woodcarver

Excellent point. It's Montana.
Not exactly an urban hive of scum and villiany.

Why would someone be so afraid and paranoid for their life as to shoot someone from a second story window? Wouldnt the first response be to call 911 or wake others in the house (if home), while grabbing a gun?
And why aim for the head? A perfectly good shot in the air to scare someone in the dark that you are armed should suffice for most ne'er do wells in Montana unless you have a beef with the nefarious sort who REALLY mean you harm and I doubt that type would be throwing pebbles at your window to wake you up.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Why would someone I know be crawling around my roof in the dead of night?

Have you read that the boy's room was on a second story? Because I didn't see that in the story. In fact, it's a one-story house. You can see it in the video.

I don't know if it was the parent's negligence, either. We're all assuming they KNEW he had a gun... In any case, he was not trained properly in gun ownership, as everyone who is, knows that you don't shoot at an unidentified target.

I don't have any problem with ANYONE owning a gun, even a kid, as long as they're properly trained to use it responsibly.

Vasa Croe - This kid didn't "lose control" of the gun. He had very good control and purposely shot someone. That would be similar to your story only if the driver purposely drove into the oncoming traffic.

And I don't believe ANYONE here has said anything about taking all the guns away.
edit on 5/19/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It was not an accident that he shot but it was an accident that he killed a friend. Let's get it right here folks. There should be no blame and NONE of you or I know the whole story.

Maybe the kid did not text him because he was coming to rob him? Friends are 98% more likely to rob you than someone random. Maybe they had an argument at school and he told him to watch himself. There are TOO MANY Maybes for the lot of you to assign Murderer to a kid who was simply defending him homestead.

There is no reason the teen should not have a gun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join