It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality and Guns

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: tetra50
Ignore anyone asking you what Jesus or Buddha would do, for you are neither. It isn't your job to be a sacrifice, in general, and doing that doesn't make one more "spiritual," especially if you have a family, people who depend on you for survival.

I don't think buying a gun for protection and possible survival at some point negates your spirituality or belief in the Universal way of the living system. It is essential, however, that you learn how to use it and take care of it, so buying a gun is a big responsibility and a commitment to safety and learning about the weapon: it's use, function, and how to care for it.

If you have the ability, (re: land), for instance, it would be good to have a garden and perhaps some goats and chickens. This provides food sources, without the need for hunting. But, you can't become too attached to the animals, and not be able to see them as food and use them in that way, if necessary. Or, you can become a vegan, or you can rely upon those animals, instead, for what they can provide you vis a vis, eggs and milk and cheese: goats and chickens.

Sorry, just read your last reply, and I suppose you don't, then, have land to do this.
Great reply thanks

Thanks snarl. I think Im going with the shotgun...later down the road I may consider a mosin-nagant. I have a lot to learn, though, first!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ZacharyW

Not a problem, brother. Find something that suits you and something that you'll truly become familiar with. As another poster mentioned, it's better to try it on for size before you commit funds. Don't get in a rush and you'll be fine.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Hunting is a very difficult task which requires a lot of experience and knowledge. Getting a deer might take days or weeks of hunting, and then being able to clean it properly and haul it out of the brush is a ton of work. What will you eat in the meantime to keep your energy up to successfully complete a hunt?

During a times of food shortage, there will be thousands of other hunters out there. It's one of the fastest growing hobbies and has never been more popular. There are so many others planning on hunting as a food source. Maybe they won't appreciate the competition. Maybe they hear your gunshots and come to take your kill or your life and possesions. There are many stories of game populations dropping low during the Great Depression in the 1930s.

I would consider prioritizing backyard farming as a skill over hunting - gardening and raising chickens/goats/pigs/rabbits etc. And focus on the self-defense aspect of owning and learning to use a gun.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
A reliable gun is the revolver for sure...
The Smith and Wesson Governor is good for home defense, small game hunting, self-defense, and can shoot .45 ACP , .45 colt,. and 2.5" .410 shotgun shells... the ability to shoot shells is great since you can shoot different loads...buckshot or slugs...

A gun that can shoot different ammo is an advantage...

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Just an update:

I decided against the gun.

Thanks all for the replys

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join