It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality and Guns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ZacharyW

if you buy a firearm for hunting - cute fluffy animals are going to get hurt

if you dont grasp this concept - i dispair

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Am I forsaking my trust in the Universe? My love for others? animals included. I seek only betterment of myself and those around me. Am I disillusioned in thinking a gun will help? Am I forsaking my spirituality?

Trust in the Universe? What makes you think it gives a damn about you? Graveyards are full of people who put their trust in the Universe. Spirituality and the desire not to harm others will go right out the window the first time you experience the Universe in it's real incarnation. A place where your beliefs are not going to stop a burglar from shooting you or a gang from stomping you in to paste on the side walk. Get a grip. Outside of people's little Harmony bubble, the world is a dangerous, nasty place, full of people who will cut your throat for $20 and many who will walk right past while you lay bleeding. If you feel safer, get one, but it is not a cure all and if you don't know how to use it, somebody's just going to take it away and beat you with it, right before they shoot.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra
This

plus these

For home defense.

This for hunting

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
OP, guns are fun as a sport, and can be a usefull killing and maiming device
they do stop several million crimes a year:
so do locks

right tool for the job and all that jazz

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

damn i was talking about this song yesterday, upset because someone posted it, when i use it. but that picture matches it except for one missing piece.

edit on 19-5-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
WWJD
What would our spiritual leaders do? Like jesus and The Buddha do, is probably a good place to start. If you really were spiritual, then getting shot would just be a fast track to the after life where everything is blissful and nothing to fear.

I don't really fear death...but I wonder how you would feel with someone holding a gun to your most loved one? In that situation you think you could be like Jesus and just accept it? IDK if you have anyone in your life you love THAT much...I would hope you do...but when you do...seeing them in pain is just not an option. Its not so much about me. I could die today and be fine. I know I will go on...I know I am not the body. I have been on this path for a long time and I am aware in the difference between teaching/learning from a comfortable place but when SHTF are you telling me you wont be seeking out food given there is no grocery store to feed you? will it just be all ok because all is love, while your stomach is growling and things around you are in chaos? maybe you are cool with just starving...I am just presenting some thoughts worth thinking about. Buddha was at such a level he didn't even need to eat food. So those examples are extreme IMO.

I appreciate the replys and reccomendations. I did think about ammo being in short supply which is why Im like: is it even worth it?

I am ok with killing animals for food I am not over-sensitive. When wisdom need be applied I am not going to cry over a dead rabbit if I am concerned about feeding myself and my family (no kids).

Lots of pro-gun replys and thats cool. I do agree a gun is just a tool. I guess it just takes my mind some adjusting to get used to the reality I am being faced with as I am not naturally drawn to owning a gun. I agree its good advice to get practice and become educated FOR SURE. IDK how many of you feel some kind of Spirituality in your life...but for those who do I am also curious about what you guys think. I am not the guy thats like: Anyone who enters my home will get a bullet in the head. I don't wish to do harm to ANYONE but WILL to protect my family. Its really about family and living as comfortable as possible during these hard times. Not about my fear of death...I really don't fear death. But I don't want to just lie down and die. Not interested in a handgun. just one gun...I am not clinging to life here....just one gun is fine. I was thinking a mossberg maverick 88 due to its versatylity. It looks like someone posted either that one or its more expensive counter-part the 500. I only want one and I know some people might say the maverick is a cheapo but I am not really at the point of wanting to spend more. I'd rather just have lots of ammo...still thinking about it. Will be reading more replys as they come

Thanks guys

edit on 12/9/2011 by ZacharyW because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Danbones
OP, guns are fun as a sport, and can be a usefull killing and maiming device
they do stop several million crimes a year:
so do locks

right tool for the job and all that jazz

Locks are like PC anti hacking process . If it exists , there is a way around it .Locks only make it "inconvenient" for a thief , as anti-hacking software does. So , once the lock is defeated , what then ?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
To the original OP , have you considered a bow ? The ammo is cheap and next to nothing if you make your own. To me , is a much more effective (at a closer range of course) hunting weapon that any rifle or shotgun.They are silent and most times allow a second shot on target if you miss the first time.
edit on 19-5-2015 by Gothmog because: grammar

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
To the original OP , have you considered a bow ? The ammo is cheap and next to nothing if you make your own. To me , is a much more effective (at a closer range of course) hunting weapon that any rifle or shotgun.They are silent and most times allow a second shot on target if you miss the first time.

what a great thought!!

for some reason this didn't cross my mind....hmmm...thank you for that...in this case I may do both. How much will a decent affordable bow run me? any reccomendations?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: Snarl

Then ... you'll need lots and lots and lots and lots of bullets for every gun you buy so you can become an expert marksman with each.

There's one thing people overlook. That is the fact that ammunition will be in short supply after a couple years. That is the exact reason I backed up all my " tools" with black powder versions.

When the bullets start to run dry I'll be making ball, powder and cap.

Smokeless powder has field expedient versions that can be home manufactured. Cartridge primers can be remanufactured in a home setting and even rimfire cartridges can be reloaded. All the necessary information is available on the web.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
As far as bow prices , you my be able to pick up one at a local pawn shop. The compound bows usually run more. As far as what I have is my Ben Pearson Bear . It is the old recurve style but I have had much success with it hunting for all types including 2 Russian boars.I have it silenced , camoed ,quick quiver , sight , etc . As far as I recommend, you have to choose one that you are comfortable with . Because unlike a firearm , a bow is an extension of you . I went through trying out about 30 different types , pulls , until I found this one.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hard rubber guns only. So you can give people a "jump" in their ass. Nothing lethal though. As for hunting: go vegan.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yep it is and they do.

But still eventually you're going to run into a supply problem. With Blackpowder all you need is urine, manure,Sulfur and hardwood charcoal.

Mercury fulminate is a little tougher. You would in fact have to stock up on mercury and nitric acid. But in production a little of both of those goes a very long way.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Yep it is and they do.

But still eventually you're going to run into a supply problem. With Blackpowder all you need is urine, manure,Sulfur and hardwood charcoal.

Mercury fulminate is a little tougher. You would in fact have to stock up on mercury and nitric acid. But in production a little of both of those goes a very long way.

Yes, but given the choice, I would prefer to fire homebrew cartridges before switching over to black powder, at least until the materials needed for it ran out.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

That's the difference I guess. I would preferred to use cheap easy readily accessible Blackpowder for hunting and minor defense.

And save my good stuff for when I really needed it.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
If the Samurai used the saying "Make it an extension of yourself" for wielding a sword properly, where the Gun could be way more humane an sanitary in that respect...Meh why the hell not.

I've never held a gun before ether but that more or less just because where I live, even though there are millions of guns in Canada. Just make sure you point it the right direction, and hope never need it.
edit on 19-5-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: reldra

Someone, please advize on 1 good gun for personal protection and a reasonable amount of matching ammunition and how long/often hen should go to a shooting range for practice.

That is not what he asked.
He was asking for validation.
He said he considered buying A gun. As in 1 gun. He also said he didn't want to starve, so that could be a hunting rifle. I know nothing about guns. He seemed to be looking for what to buy in case of riot/aapocalypse/runaway Phage (lol).

He did also seem to be on the fence about it at all. But none of the answers were too helpful.

He also listed why he was thinking about it:

1.) personal protection
2.) hunting in a time of famine

And he was advised that to adequately cover those two needs, he would seriously need more than one firearm. It would be like saying you want to do home maintenance and asking which one screwdriver should you buy? Well, that's ridiculous. As anyone knows, there are different types of heads for screwdrivers and you will need various sizes and that's even before we discuss that you might occasionally need a hammer or pliers or any one of myriad other tools to conduct home repair.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotherdaytoday
Hard rubber guns only. So you can give people a "jump" in their ass. Nothing lethal though. As for hunting: go vegan.

Not a bad thought on the rubber gun.

I thought of that...but lets be realistic...scavenging for enough vegetables and fruit to meet nutritional need every day with no land to grow my own food? not realistic. A nice thought though.

I appreciate everyones feedback!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ignore anyone asking you what Jesus or Buddha would do, for you are neither. It isn't your job to be a sacrifice, in general, and doing that doesn't make one more "spiritual," especially if you have a family, people who depend on you for survival.

I don't think buying a gun for protection and possible survival at some point negates your spirituality or belief in the Universal way of the living system. It is essential, however, that you learn how to use it and take care of it, so buying a gun is a big responsibility and a commitment to safety and learning about the weapon: it's use, function, and how to care for it.

If you have the ability, (re: land), for instance, it would be good to have a garden and perhaps some goats and chickens. This provides food sources, without the need for hunting. But, you can't become too attached to the animals, and not be able to see them as food and use them in that way, if necessary. Or, you can become a vegan, or you can rely upon those animals, instead, for what they can provide you vis a vis, eggs and milk and cheese: goats and chickens.

Sorry, just read your last reply, and I suppose you don't, then, have land to do this.
edit on 19-5-2015 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ZacharyW

You're thinking the right way on the ammo part. You need a Lot.

Shotguns are dangerous frikkin' tools. But, if it's just 'one' it may be the right choice. Completely depends on your situation. If you ambush me with a shotgun you'll probably win. If we were in a stand-off greater than a hundred yards ... you'll lose. It's all scenario driven.

Consider range, rate of fire, power, endurance, cost, time and dedication and you'll make a good choice.

-Cheers

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join