It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting flooring idea for those who want to remodel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I've heard of the penny idea. That would be cool.

I've even seen a 1950s model sedan giant car with fins all covered in pennies. Could do that, too - we almost have enough.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
I've heard of using pennies. It would look different.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

And be quite heavy......especially on a big lots-o-metal car.

Seriously, I really really like this brown paper bag idea - in fact, today I received a new dishwasher in a giant corrugated box and thought - "Why couldn't I use this corrugated box as flooring somehow?".

That's really awesome. Kraft paper is easy to come by. The other idea is to use up the cubic yards of fabric that I have - could do that, too - like a decoupage effect. thank you again - this is great.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It holds up quite well. You'll want to put a few coats of poly on it.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Do you know what the technique is called, or where to find more info?

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Wow! I've seen this OregonCottage couple before. Cool!!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I don't know what it's called. My friends saw it on facebook. Sorry I can't be of more help. There are a lot of videos on youtube though.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
We just put a coating of polyurethane on the floor a couple hours ago. Here in a bit we'll put down another. I think there is enough left for 2 more coats. I'll be posting pics once it's finished, and when my friend puts pics up. It'll be a couple of days maybe because it has to dry.

so where are the pics, mark?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I look at that and I see a mold remediation project and a negative resell value.

I love DIY, but not this.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
I'll see if they took any. Thanks for pointing that out lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
BFFT brought up the fact that I forgot pics. Here's one. Sorry, the light sucked and you can't tell the difference. It looks pretty much the same anyway.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

A lot of people here in the UK are wallpapering thier floors right now, sounds crazy but after a couple of coats of yacht varnish it is very durable even in a bathroom.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
I've seen videos where people have done it. In some of them they say it's held up even after 4+ years.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Yes it is far more durable than you would expect and kind of coming full circle as people used to put rugs on the wall not the floor and wallpaper was invented as a cheap alternative to expensive rugs, people started putting rugs on the floor as a way of showing how wealthy they were and now people are wall papering floors lol.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Well that is very interesting indeed. I knew of course about rugs on the wall - tapestries and all that stuff - textiles make interesting wall coverings .... wallpapering the floor, eh? The thing is, do you have to seal it up with polyurethane like the 3 coats they're talking about with the brown paper?

If it does have to be lacquered, when you get sick of that wallpaper, what then?

Do you just lay tile over it? It seems like anything double glued and lacquered would need to be considered permanent - taking it out would be a big fat arse-ache and a fume-producing mess. ????

Still, I'll look into it. Are they shellacking the wallpaper, or just leaving it raw once it's glued down? Very very clever idea. Thanks!

edit on 7/9/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Well that is very interesting indeed. I knew of course about rugs on the wall - tapestries and all that stuff - textiles make interesting wall coverings .... wallpapering the floor, eh? The thing is, do you have to seal it up with polyurethane like the 3 coats they're talking about with the brown paper?

If it does have to be lacquered, when you get sick of that wallpaper, what then?

Do you just lay tile over it? It seems like anything double glued and lacquered would need to be considered permanent - taking it out would be a big fat arse-ache and a fume-producing mess. ????

Still, I'll look into it. Are they shellacking the wallpaper, or just leaving it raw once it's glued down? Very very clever idea. Thanks!

They use yacht varnish 2 or 3 coats and I guess it is pretty permanant after that!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join