It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Does One "Make Themselves" Believe?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

matthew 25:29

For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

sounds like a pretty accurate depiction of the relationship between the rich and the poor. the wolves of wall street and congress get fatter and orphans of war get more starved and diseased.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I see ME as my soul. The real me is called the soul.

Precisely.
That's the notion I have in my head and heart, also.
When I first looked into my baby's eyes, when I saw my father's unanimated body after his soul had detached.
When I cry, or see someone I love cry.

And honestly, the thread is in part prompted by the theocrats in this and other parts of the world - ISIS, for example - how do they expect to "make" the unbelievers into believers? By beheading them? Lining them up and shooting them? How are the non-ISIS people supposed to "make themselves" believe?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: beezzer
Do you believe that we have souls?

I don't 'believe' ... I KNOW. I've had near encounters with the supernatural/divine that make this a known fact for me. I was just curious why you think that before you can ascertain the existence of God, you have to believe in the soul. I don't see the need to believe in a soul to believe in a God. God could exist without us having souls.

God exists whether we exist or not.

God isn't bound by our physicality.

Certainly people have souls. People act like they have never had a loved one die, that loved one is still present in many ways in their lives. It is a really strange thing.

Why do people go to cemeteries and speak to the tombstones of their loved ones? Why do people look at pictures of loved ones and talk to them?

Because part of them have never left.

Even people who don't have any religious views still go to the graveyard and respect that loved one.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Before you can assertain the existence of God, you have to believe in the soul.

Do you believe people have souls, or do you believe that we are nothing more than complex meat-machines fueled by bio-chemical processes?

What is your definition of the soul?

From my understanding, the soul is typically identified as a kind of "spark" or "made in the image" of the Divine. However, it has always made more sense to me that what we equate with the soul is actually the sense of separate self or "I", that is actually the same as attention.

The one constant that every experience requires is attention (a focusing of our fundamental awareness). When descriptions of spiritual experiences are testified to, people invariablly speak in similar terms as they do when experiencing perceptions here on Earth - and at the core of it is always attention, that fundamental sense of individuality.

Thus attention is actually the soul - it survives death, and can even actually go beyond the subtle body-mind experiences of higher worlds - into what is traditionally called the "causal" sheath or dimension of consciousness. This is the root experience of the "I", the origin of the illusion of the separate self sense, and often equated with enlightenment itself, but is that actually realization of the Truth? Is the soul ever going to actually realize the Truth as a separate "spark" of the Divine (aka Reality, Consciousness, Awareness)?

Anyway, that is how I see one's "soul".

edit on 5/19/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
So people have souls.

I personally think that religion stemmed from asking such questions.

Everyone has faith, but religion is different from faith.

Religion is just a vehicle or a vessel for faith.

If you already "believe", if you already have "faith", then religion almost becomes superfluous.

And in many cases, religion has superceded faith.

Religion has become more important than faith. As in the case of ISIS, or even Christianity.

Faith is believing in something greater than yourself.

Religion simply puts labels on that belief. And as stated, people start believing more in the labels and the process rather than the simple act of having faith in something greater.

Of course, all of this is just my humble opinion.

Believe, don't believe, have faith, don't have faith.

It doesn't nor will it ever, affect my faith.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

What is your definition of a "soul"? Is it different than spirit? Is God a soul? Is Jesus a soul? Do animals have souls? Is the Earth herself a soul?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

What is your definition of a "soul"? Is it different than spirit? Is God a soul? Is Jesus a soul? Do animals have souls? Is the Earth herself a soul?

I don't know. Honestly, I don't know. I know I have one, but I don't know what it is, or even it's ultimate purpose.

My personal faith is that a soul is a gift from God.

But that is just me.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I disagree. When we come into the world, everything is greater than ourselves. And, as we grow up that reality is pounded into our awareness. Religion informs us how we are a part of a greater picture, not that we have to have faith in things that are bigger, smarter, faster or greater than us.

What is faith anyway, but a surrender to the inevitable and hope for the best?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I don't know. Honestly, I don't know. I know I have one, but I don't know what it is, or even it's ultimate purpose.

You have one? Is a soul like a belly button, something you're born with? Is a soul created through sexual intercourse?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I disagree. When we come into the world, everything is greater than ourselves. And, as we grow up that reality is pounded into our awareness. Religion informs us how we are a part of a greater picture, not that we have to have faith in things that are bigger, smarter, faster or greater than us.

What is faith anyway, but a surrender to the inevitable and hope for the best?

Okay.

You're more than welcome to disagree.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

You have one? Is a soul like a belly button, something you're born with? Is a soul created through sexual intercourse?

I came onto this thread with honest and earnest intent.

If this is going to turn into a mocking session, then I'll bid you a good day.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

During meditation, the monk's body produces enough heat to dry cold, wet sheets put over his shoulders in a frigid room

news.harvard.edu...

It has ZERO to do with anyone else, any book written by man - or the contents of those books. It is you, your energy(soul) and how you exert it upon this plane-of-existence.......known as Earth.......you've got about 80 years to Master it or you are going to die and come back again and again and again until you get it right.

I've seen some seriously trippy ship done by humans (levitation, pass through structures, dematerialize) - and in the remotest and materially poorest parts of the planet, spent some time in the Jungles of PNG and south America with Sharmen - and none would have a bloody clue who God is - but they have an "aura" that I can only classify as "holy"

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It is you, your energy(soul) and how you exert it upon this plane-of-existence.......known as Earth.......you've got about 80 years to Master it or you are going to die and come back again and again and again until you get it right.

I've seen some seriously trippy ship done by humans (levitation, pass through structures, dematerialize) - and in the remotest and materially poorest parts of the planet, spent some time in the Jungles of PNG and south America with Sharmen - and none would have a bloody clue who God is - but they have an "aura" that I can only classify as "holy"

This I can totally relate to....
Thanks for your contribution.

I'd love to hear more about what you witnessed and experienced!!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

and through what disciplines did they develop these talents?

link   

You're the one that said that in order to "believe", one must believe they have a soul? If you can't converse about THAT, your own premise, that you innocently enter the thread with, well then..............

link   

I came onto this thread with honest and earnest intent.

If this is going to turn into a mocking session, then I'll bid you a good day.

I hope you stay, and thank you for coming onto the thread. You asked very pertinent questions...and have contributed important ideas for thought.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

You're the one that said that in order to "believe", one must believe they have a soul? If you can't converse about THAT, your own premise, that you innocently enter the thread with, well then..............

No, I asked if they believed in the existence of the soul.

And every statement made, but also followed up by saying that it was my own opinion.

Now you are free to mock my opinions, but I am also free to leave.

I generally don't trust the OP or even you in threads like this, but I took a chance and simply wanted to provide some of my personal insight in order to better examine the question.

Maybe I made a mistake.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

i have read of experiments done that "measured" the weight of the soul. the general consensus was 21 grams, although the experiment itself is comparable to the cheese mites of Dr. Crosse. these are experiments i would be very curious to see replicated with the full integrity of modern science.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I generally don't trust the OP or even you in threads like this, but I took a chance and simply wanted to provide some of my personal insight in order to better examine the question.

Maybe I made a mistake.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I don't think you made a mistake, but it's up to you to determine for yourself.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Do you believe in yourself? Do you believe you have abilities like health, determination, youthfulness, usefulness etc?
You don't need to believe "bible stories" all of that is a ruse. The real trick is just to 'believe' you are who you are or you can do whatever you want with nothing standing in your way. Do you believe when you die you end up a pile of dirt or go elsewhere? D Do you believe you're someone special or just another number?

You see, you believe in things now otherwise you wouldn't be where you are at the moment. All of us are only a sum total of our experiences. When you look at other people and their lives, well their lives are a reflection of their beliefs. For example, you don't see doctors squatting in back lanes with homeless people and you don't see homeless people at the golf course with doctors. The direction in our lives depends entirely on your own belief system. That's why we don't tell our kids "you're useless".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join