It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Figurine Raises Questions About Neolithic Cultures

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

A discovery in south-central Israel has raised interesting questions about the first human settlements in the Middle East and challenged the long-held belief that they all belonged to the Yarmukian culture. The figurine, found at a dig aimed at rescuing possible archaeological artefacts before a water company lays a pipe at the location, looks like a fertility goddess and was most probably used for ritualistic purposes, Haaretz reports, citing the archaeologists who took part in the dig. It is likely that the artefact was made by another neolithic culture, Jericho 9, which was initially thought to have emerged after the decline of the Yarmukians. Now, it is possible that the two cultures co-existed and shared a lot of their religious beliefs, even though they lived in different parts of the Levant
www.newhistorian.com...

Amazing this mother goddess's age and spread.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Cool! Have you ever read Sarum by Edward Rutherford?

It's a saga that covers civilization in Britian from the beginning of the last ice age (iirc). A family unit has to migrate to avoid the ice....and then it goes on and on and on. A fertility goddess like the one in your OP is part of the very beginning.

The story covers major points of British history. The following listing of the chapters parallels major periods and events :

Old Sarum

Journey to Sarum (prehistoric Britain)
The Barrow (the arrival of agriculture in Britain)
The Henge (the building of Stonehenge)
Sorviodunum (the arrival of the Romans)
Twilight (the fall of the Roman Empire/arrival of the Saxons)
The Two Rivers (arrival of the Vikings/uniting of England)
The Castle (Norman England)
New Sarum

The Founding (the founding of New Sarum/building of Salisbury Cathedral)
The Death (the Black Death)
The Rose (the Rule of Lancaster)
A Journey From Sarum
New World (The Reformation)
The Unrest (The English Civil War/ the Exclusion Crisis)
The Calm (the eighteenth century)
Boney (the Battle of Trafalgar)
Empire (the British Empire)
The Henge II (World War I/the selling of Stonehenge)
The Encampment (World War II)
The Spire (Salisbury in 1985)

edit on 5/18/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Thanks should be on my must read list sounds interesting especially if it reads like one of James Michener books.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Great find! S&F!
Now we have to wait for the chemical tests to see if the clay was from the South or North as only one will challenge the ideas of prehistorical Israel.

Funny how round all ancient Venus seem to be

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
oops dbl post
edit on 18-5-2015 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Right on spider,
The source says

Now, it is possible that the two cultures co-existed and shared a lot of their religious beliefs, even though they lived in different parts of the Levant
I am actually surpried that is actually in question, because there are clear signs, all across the Levant , that the people in this area had been interacting since the end and of the ice age.
Jericho points and other diagnostic lithics can be found in sites from Syria to Egypt and eastern Jordan.

edit on 18-5-2015 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I wonder what relation this site has with this other site in southern Israel,.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

I wonder what relation this site has with this other site in southern Israel,.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I bet money there are connections, the Levant is not so big people generally reach out to each other over much wider geographical regions,it's a general human characteristic.
Btw great thread wonder how I missed it.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

You also might enjoy Ken Follett's book The Pillars of the Earth.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Spider, have you noticed how the mother goddess/Venus imagery is often found in areas where Neanderthal persisted and mixed with modern humans?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Thank you,
btw

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Spider, have you noticed how the mother goddess/Venus imagery is often found in areas where Neanderthal persisted and mixed with modern humans?

Never noticed that, now that you mentioned it does give pause for thought you are off-course talking about the Venus figurines specifically, and not mother goddess in general.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I talking of the imagery in its earliest incarnations, whether called Venus or mother goddess, it's representative of healthy productive female.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Not to be argumentative, but how do they know for certain what that's supposed to be? To me, it could as easily be the lower half of the Michelin tire man, or the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. It could be some vague sort of female parts, but it doesn't seem like a sure thing to me, on this one. Some I have seen in pics seem a lot more clearly female, at least.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
don't forget the area was a cross roads and things, especially artifacts, have been known to travel
like the travelocity garden gnome

lol
still an FandS

edit on Monpm5b20155America/Chicago19 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Interesting, but what do you think that means? Maybe modern humans worshipped the mother goddess and Neanderthals worshipped a male until modern humans taught them?

But why would modern humans worship the mother goddess instead of a male god?

This raises interesting philosophical/theological questions.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Not to be argumentative, but how do they know for certain what that's supposed to be? To me, it could as easily be the lower half of the Michelin tire man, or the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. It could be some vague sort of female parts, but it doesn't seem like a sure thing to me, on this one. Some I have seen in pics seem a lot more clearly female, at least.

Because these guys know what they are looking at in ancient artifacts even in abstract form, but to a lay person it could be anything.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I talking of the imagery in its earliest incarnations, whether called Venus or mother goddess, it's representative of healthy productive female.

I think it have to do with proto-agriculture ,because in areas where there were no Neanderthals the mother goddess were present, matter of fact much of Africa was once matriarchal,for before the fathers there was always the mothers, in a post sometime back I stated that females were the known creators of life before we males knew we had anything to do with it nine month later, when we did figure it out we started to stake our claim first as junior partners then as equals followed by supplantation of the feminine to a lesser or in extreme cases no role at all.

edit on 19-5-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Well I took one look at it and recognized it and I'm not an archeologist, so there's that.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Because these guys know what they are looking at in ancient artifacts even in abstract form, but to a lay person it could be anything.

That can be true to a point, but it seems to me that, after a certain point, something is too vague to really ID, and they have to start guessing. Educated guesses, to be sure, but still guesses. I wonder, with this one, if it's just part of a figure, and they maybe recognize that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join