It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid physics questions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I apologize in advance for my stupid questions. But I feel I can't move forward in my study of physics until I get some basic understanding. I read and read, but still my questions are unanswered. Basically, I need to know what the "stuff" of the universe is.

I thought it might be "energy" but that is defined as the ability of something to do work.

I thought it might be "mass" but that is defined as inertia.

I thought it might be "fields" but that is defined as a property of space.

Particles might be it, but they are often defined as properties of fields.

Could it be space itself as the "stuff" of the universe?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: kcgads
I apologize in advance for my stupid questions. But I feel I can't move forward in my study of physics until I get some basic understanding. I read and read, but still my questions are unanswered. Basically, I need to know what the "stuff" of the universe is.

I thought it might be "energy" but that is defined as the ability of something to do work.

I thought it might be "mass" but that is defined as inertia.

I thought it might be "fields" but that is defined as a property of space.

Particles might be it, but they are often defined as properties of fields.

Could it be space itself as the "stuff" of the universe?

Yes space is the fabric of the universe.

Without it there would be nothing because there wouldn't be any space for it to exist in.

Matter and energy interact in this space, controlled by the 4 known forces.

These are electromagnetism. Is pretty straight forward, if you need further explanation I can provide it.

Gravity, this force causes all matter to be attracted to other matter. Here on earth we experience this when objects fall.

The strong nuclear force is what binds atoms together.

And the weak necluear force is responsible for radioactive decay, enabling thing like a nuclear bomb to be made.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am not a physist, but the answer "yes space is the fabric of the universe" is rather a trite answer.
Space is space, an area. It also stands to reason that without space, space wouldn't exist.
Our universe is an area (ok an unmeasurable area) but an area non the less. The fabric of space is not space itself but what inhabits that area.
Though one can extrapolate ,because no-one can prove it, that before the big bang space itself was empty (no fabric just space) and by definition there must be areas of space that the expanding universe has not reached therefore must be empty. Space is not a thing it is an area.
Our universe, as we know it, is permeated by matter which is controlled by the said forces and that matter, in permanent flux, is what the fabric of the universe is.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
"Stuff" sounds good to me. They are saying fabric of the Universe, but all fabric is made of some kind of stuff.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

So what is energy? Is it a thing? Most say energy is just "the ability to do work".

Although there are a few who say energy is an actual thing unto itself. Can "energy" exist alone? How can it interact with matter?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to get at. What is the "fabric" made out of?

It seems to be circular, everything, mass, energy, fields, is defined as properties of something else.

I want to get down to what is the basis of everything else.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

So you're saying matter is the "stuff" of the universe?

It is made out of quarks and gluons. Is that "stuff" too, or does it only become something when it becomes matter?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: kcgads
Yes. Matter is the fabric of the universe and quarks and gluons are part of that fabric.
Let me make it really simple. Space is area not matter or anything, it a concept of nothing. An area can contain things but in itself it is nothing. You're starting to go out of the area of physics and into philosophy.
What is space? What is the constraints of space? Can it really be defined? Can it be quantified?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Then how can space be curved if it's not made of anything?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Am I talking to a school boy here. Space cannot be curved, only the matter in space can be curved. Please read Einstiens theory of relativity. How can you curve nothing? Space is nothing. Now what occupies that space is another thing altogether.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

a reply to: johnwick

So what is energy? Is it a thing? Most say energy is just "the ability to do work".

Although there are a few who say energy is an actual thing unto itself. Can "energy" exist alone? How can it interact with matter?

From my point of view particles are just energy in a stable form and if not is not stable the energy continue to propagate thru space time until it amasses to become stable. All energy is controlled by the quantum field that we have discovered in it's probability form since we do not truly understand it just observe it thru the double slit experiment. If we truly understood it then we would be able to predict where the particle will hit every time, but we do not since we are measuring what the quantum field was, unable to make correct projections based on previous states of the field.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Am I talking to a school boy here. Space cannot be curved, only the matter in space can be curved. Please read Einstiens theory of relativity. How can you curve nothing? Space is nothing. Now what occupies that space is another thing altogether.

Of course space can be curved. You can exists on a N dimensional bubble that have no inside or outside (As represented as a 2D Möbius strip in 3D). If we are in a curved space 3D+1T where length should be calculated in degrees or in an uncurved 3D+1T is another question. But either theory have not been proven and either theory is equally possible from my point of view.

And this is regardless if there is any mass in the 3D+1T or not.
edit on 18-5-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Space itself seems to be that which defines reality/existence in that, according to most ideas related to quantum physics, there is a "sea" of quantum activity which allows particles to pop in and out of existence. A curtain if you like. What is on the other side of space? Good question.

edit on 18-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Nevermind
edit on 18-5-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle
Now as I've already stated I'm not a physicist so explain to me what the meaning of N, 3D and 1T., then I might be able to discuss with you. But as far as I'm concerned ANY shape, sphere or curve or straight must have a quantifiable start and finish to be called a shape. If a bubble has no inside or outside how can it be quantified as a bubble.
Now if 3d+1T has a length calculated in degrees then by extension there has to be a start point and a finishing point or really you've just written a pile of BS and just trolling.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
3d means 3 dimensions up/down backwards/forwards left/right and 1t means 1 dimension which is time.

N simply means non defined.
edit on 18-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

Oh and space can be curved, we know this because during eclipses, stars which are closely related in position to the sun in the sky actually show a deviation from the known spatial position. This also is apparent with gravitational lensing of galaxies.

Matter tells space how to bend, space tells matter how to move, It is pretty basic physics I think.
edit on 18-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think if you put it another way: if the universe is expanding, what exactly is it expanding into?

Beyond the visible edge of space, is there a space? The Deep Field from Hubble shows a relatively blank piece of sky that is literally filled to the brim with galaxies....mind boggling to think how may stars there are. But where there are no stars....what is there?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

It seems to be circular, everything, mass, energy, fields, is defined as properties of something else.

I own a lot of junk. A lot of people would like my junk. others would think my junk is junk. I have owned top of the line brand new junk, but the stuff always turns into plain old junk after many years.

Everything is basically junk. Now You could call it the junk that the universe is made of too instead of stuff. I don't think calling it the crap the universe is made of is good, you wouldn't want to put it into the crap class of all the stuff they make nowadays that doesn't last very long.
If modern man designed the universe, I would worry it could break down.
edit on 18-5-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I own a lot of junk. A lot of people would like my junk. others would think my junk is junk. I have owned top of the line brand new junk, but the stuff always turns into plain old junk after many years.

Everything is basically junk. Now You could call it the junk that the universe is made of too instead of stuff. I don't think calling it the crap the universe is made of is good, you wouldn't want to put it into the crap class of all the stuff they make nowadays that doesn't last very long.
If modern man designed the universe, I would worry it could break down.

One man's junk is another man's treasure. Entropy is not all negative.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Yes. Matter is the fabric of the universe and quarks and gluons are part of that fabric.
Let me make it really simple. Space is area not matter or anything, it a concept of nothing. An area can contain things but in itself it is nothing. You're starting to go out of the area of physics and into philosophy.
What is space? What is the constraints of space? Can it really be defined? Can it be quantified?

So what you are saying is that space doesn't exist, if there is nothing there, how can it exist.
So every theory that contains 'space' is wrong? How can you calculate something out of nothing?
Even if that space is filled with matter, it doesn't exist because space is nothing?
Can space be created or destroyed?
And if space can be curved or just the matter in it, how is it that something can act on nothing?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join