It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US government HAS the ability to simulate EMP or flare blackout.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aboveway
EMP generator with a strong enough capacitor and discharge can be built without use of nukes.

You are also wrong that there would be return to normal. It would take 25 years to restore to current power structure.

You seem to be confusing the prompt phase of an EMP with the geomagnetic heave phase.

An EMP generator/HPM device simulates the prompt phase, but can in no way cause a geomagnetic heave phase. The power lines would be unaffected, as they are damaged by the heave. Very very different mechanisms of damage.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Is there a reason you didn't want to address the issue of integrated circuits depending on un- shielded copper wires within pretty much ever PC in the world.

Just bow down to real engineer and carry on, on the Internet like you usually do.

edit on 19-5-2015 by Aboveway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Aboveway

Is there a reason you didn't want to address the issue of integrated circuits depending on I shielded copper wires within pretty much ever PC in the world.

I did. I said a solar flare would have no effect on them.

Just bow down to real engineer and carry on,
You ain't that.

edit on 5/19/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Don't worry phage our conversation that mattered happened on page one.

Most people read page one and they will decide who here has merit.

Have a nice day

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Lets say you are correct and let's say GeoMagnetic storm knocks out power.

What good is your smart phone and PC at your local bank without power.

Actually, only the long line distribution would be at risk. You'd see local utilities back up to some extent almost immediately, but with limited output, as they wouldn't be able to get or share power between distribution areas.

It would take 25 years to manufacture parts and restore power nationwide.

Only on the AC HV distribution lines. The DC ones would be immune. You could probably convert the distribution to DC faster than replacing the HV transformers. And that's assuming they didn't see the thing coming and safe the network in time, which wouldn't happen either. Also, it's straightforward but pricey to redesign what's there to be immune to BH curve walkoff due to saturation, which is what takes them out. We just haven't had to yet. Maybe your putative CME would be a convincer.

But you are not right, I've known book smart people like you my whole life, you get good grades but you have no real life experience and can't build nothing if your life depended on it.

I'm hoping English is a second language for you. Engineers generally don't have that sort of problem.

ALL integrated circuits depend on unshielded copper wires at some point like in your PC right now.

I am definitely an engineer and I know 100 % you are not.

Prompt EMP damage to computers isn't dependent on "unshielded copper wires". If you're going to pretend to be an engineer, you should study a bit more.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Most people read page one and they will decide who here has merit.

I am on page two and at the moment i would say you have been out engineered .

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

a reply to: Bedlam

You know nothing.

And I'll leave it at that,

Maybe you are phage under different name.

No, no, you say you're an engineer. I, on the other hand, am not playing at it. So let's discuss your beliefs about one of these issues.

I say, let's start with geomagnetic heave. Why, in your engineering opinion, does that cause an issue with power distribution?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Why, in your engineering opinion, does that cause an issue with power distribution?

Hopefully you give an answer as i am in that field .

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Me! Me!
I'm not an engineer (I do confess to some book larnin') but Me! Me!

Voltage fluctuations might be on the order of 300 volts or so (in a severe case) but the real problem has to do with (effective) DC vs AC and eddy currents! See, the system operates on AC but a geomagnetic heave creates a very low frequency (effectively DC) current in the transmission lines that doesn't get along well with the AC currents that are being transmitted. It produces eddy currents in the transformer cores which makes them get very hot and they melt and stuff.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Come back, Aboveway! Come back! Don't leave now!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Probly not.

He declared victory.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

It produces eddy currents in the transformer cores which makes them get very hot and they melt and stuff.

Along time ago since school but arent eddy currents behind ferro resonance when you single pole switch at higher voltages .

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   

The US presidential limos have dampening fields? I did not know that can you elaborate on the type of field?

Personally i was just talking about turning things off in the classical sense, by way of a switch.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

There's that.
That would work.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622
I guess.
I'm not an engineer but I know that they cause transformer cores to melt and stuff.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
If I just explain it; he'll immediately return and say "I knowed it".
edit on 19-5-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
And it dint come out of no book cuz real engineers have no truck with book larnin'.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

I wish I could say that. I go back through all my old school books from time to time and re-work problems to remember how on the stuff I don't use a lot. Or I just forget it. More or less.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Man.
Haven't heard? There's this new thing call the innernet. You should check it out. There's all kinds of cool stuff on it. And you don't even have to read. There's videos! Mytoob, or somethin'.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join