It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US daredevil Dean Potter dies during flying stunt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   
One of America's best known extreme athletes 43-year-old Dean Potter was killed along with fellow extreme athlete Graham Hunt as they tried to wingsuit through a narrow gap at Taft Point promontory in Yosemite National Park.

He was the first to climb Yosemite's three most famous big walls in a single day.
He was also renowned for his high-line walks and high-risk parachute jumps, some of which he carried out with his dog, Whisper.
Last year he released a 22-minute long film, "When Dogs Fly" that chronicled Whisper's skydiving adventures. Although it became a viral sensation, it also attracted criticism from animal rights activists.
Climber Doug Robinson told the BBC that Potter had always sought to push the limits of what was possible in his sport.
"We're very sad about Dean Potter's death, but not very surprised," he told BBC Newsday, "he was pushing the envelope all his life."
www.bbc.co.uk...

At least he died doing something he was passionate about.
RiP.

edit on 18-5-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Tease the reaper enough and he just might appear.
They knew the odds and the risks and jumped willingly.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I hope he didn't have his dog with him this time. Hey if you want to play you will eventually pay... Guy's a jerk and had 1/2 a brain for bringing his dog up there. Poor thing must have be terrified!

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: starlitestarbrite

The man is dead and you still wanna trash talk him...some people have no cooth I swear smh.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Saw this, on the news this morning.

If you have to go, sometimes your lucky enough to go doing what you love.

I can't imagine living so fearless.

RIP

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Agreed.

Lol on "cooth". Haven't heard that word in decades.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: starlitestarbrite

The man is dead and you still wanna trash talk him...some people have no cooth I swear smh.

Hitler is dead too, but I have little to say in the mans favor.

I think starlite is right. If you want to gamble with your own life, that's fine by me, but when you involve another person, or an animal you have taken responsibility for, that's a whole other matter.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I'm not so sure , maybe the dog enjoyed it we don't know.
I think there is more harm done by those who mistreat their animal or keep it locked in the house than someone who takes it out for adventures , if the dog was raised doing that stuff then perhaps he was an adrenalin junkie too.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Fair enough. I guess my own thinking was the dogs inability to comprehend the danger it was in, and therefore its inability to give consent. The dog was just excited to be with his companion on those adventures. Nevertheless, I sometimes wonder if our furry friends understand more than we give them credit for. But this is a debate for another thread.

At least this man died doing what he loved doing. Pushing the boundaries of his existence. We could all do with a small dose of that courage in our lives, me thinks.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
"We're very sad about Dean Potter's death, but not very surprised," That about sums it up for me.

For those who are interested:

vimeo.com...

RIP

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Michet

Thanks for the video Michet ... scary just watching them do it , incredible.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

He was actually a pretty good guy, Hell of a rock climber. He free climbed El Capitan & Half Dome in Yosemite National Park in one day. The article here was wrong, It was Alex Honnold who first free climbed El Capitan, Half Dome & Mount Watkins in a single day.

Dean invented Freebase, which is what he just died doing. Thing about it is, it's very dangerous to base jump near those granite walls up there. I have backpacked many times in Yosemite up at Taft Point where he and his friend died. There are wind gusts and updrafts that can easily change your course.

So you really are playing Russian roulette. Hope he and his friend are in peace now. ~$heopleNation

top topics

join