It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Asians discriminated against in SAT scores?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

OK, you're right. There probably aren't actual bonuses to the score. It's just that they probably don't start to consider an Asian applicant unless they have a score of a certain level, and that minimum score is higher than the minimum score for any other ethnicity.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Last response.

I am not taking my ball and going home, I am getting out of the mud.
I have my stance, you guys have yours, why bang our heads on the wall longer?

Both bonuses you now admit to, are smaller than the being black bonus you keep denying.

I wasn't admitting to them, just placing more context into your hypothetical that you conveniently left out.

There are zero actual score bonuses going on.

So again, you all win are the almighty intellectuals and have vanquished little ole poor me!

I don't want you vanquished.

I just want to talk about this honestly without bs propaganda.

I'm not trying to win.

I want to expand the lexicon.

Please come back.

We will not agree obviously, but this talk needs to be had.

It is much too long in the coming, and in the verge if ripping our nation apart at racial lines.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Sremmos80

OK, you're right. There probably aren't actual bonuses to the score. It's just that they probably don't start to consider an Asian applicant unless they have a score of a certain level, and that minimum score is higher than the minimum score for any other ethnicity.

Thank goodness, a lefty interpretor appeared.

I don't speak lefty double speak.

How do you say

"Giving favor to subgroups is giving them more equal status"?

To me, if they give blacks 230 bonus points on the sat that means 230 bonus points.

In lefty speak it is something like "leveling the field".

But they retreat and acusse me of racism when I point out unleveling the field is not leveling it.

How does one say this in a manner they can understand?

At least you righties can speak English and understand straight forward ideas.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: grandmakdw
For about 4 years (2001-2008) I was a premed advisor at a prestigous school.
What I learned and told my students was the truth about getting into medical school.
Asians had to have the highest MCAT scores and GPA (4.0-3.9) to get in
Whites had to have the second highest MCAT and GPA (3.7 or higher)
Hispanics the third highest GPA (3.2 or higher)
Blacks could get in with a GPA (3.0 and even in one case 2.7)

This is nothing new.
Discrimination against Asians is real.

The only group not discriminated against are the ones always screaming it....blacks.

Must be nice.

All I got at birth was this "white privilege" thing.

It has never helped me at all, but at least I'm white I guess?

How does that even work?

I felt really bad for the Asian kids who worked harder than anyone else and did not get in to medical school because the bar was set so high for them.

I also saw some black kids with low GPA's get into medical school who had no business being there. One in particular, if I ever land in an ER with her standing over me, I'll scream get her out of here! She was an awful person, she put pencils up her roommates nose and sat on her naked when she got mad at her roommate. Her GPA was 3.0 and her MCAT marginal, but she got in medical school. Meanwhile a wonderful girl who was not black and had a much higher GPA and MCAT ended up teaching high school chemistry when she should have been an MD.

This inequality means that you don't get the best medical care possible in the US anymore. Who gets to be an MD is based more on race than on who is best qualified.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kcgads

Let's say this report is accurate. Why are we looking at it like Asians are penalized when, in reality, they replaced white people as the baseline and white people now get a bonus like everybody else. In short, this would mean that white people are benefiting from affirmative action.

It's a little ethnocentric in itself to assume it means that Asians are getting penalized.

I don't necessarily believe in the accuracy of the information but that's what it would mean if true.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Maybe because if we're supposed to be treating everyone the same then we're supposed to be treating everyone the same?

If that means my kid has to work harder to earn his way into Harvard because the Asian kids have better work ethic, then it means my kid has to buckle down and if he makes it, he darn well earned his spot without having it handed to him because of his skin color.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Because they make other minorities who get much more funding and aid look bad.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I have only one word in response.

Disgusting.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Semantics.

If Harvard wants a score of 2000 or better, and an Asian with 2049 does not get in, and a similar applicant who is Black with 1800 gets in, arguing whether anyone got a literal score adjustment is plain silly.

It's simply one way to conceptualize that different people are held to different standings based solely on their race. Call me crazy, but that sounds wrong to me.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Maybe because if we're supposed to be treating everyone the same then we're supposed to be treating everyone the same?

If that means my kid has to work harder to earn his way into Harvard because the Asian kids have better work ethic, then it means my kid has to buckle down and if he makes it, he darn well earned his spot without having it handed to him because of his skin color.

Well, yeah. I just thought it was funny that we view it as a penalty to Asian kids instead of a bonus to white kids.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Lol, I guess I see your point, but I was a white sprinter in Div I athletics in college, so the mentality of having to work a little harder to succeed is no stranger to me.

I was competing in one of the few venues where no one worries about African Americans having trouble succeeding or excelling. No worries though. Those were an awesome four years.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Semantics.

If Harvard wants a score of 2000 or better, and an Asian with 2049 does not get in, and a similar applicant who is Black with 1800 gets in, arguing whether anyone got a literal score adjustment is plain silly.

It's simply one way to conceptualize that different people are held to different standings based solely on their race. Call me crazy, but that sounds wrong to me.

Thank you!!!

If my white kids, and black kids are equal to Asian kids, why are some "more equal" under this standard?

I don't get it.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm glad I wasn't born asian.

I would have done my family 'great dishonor'

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kcgads

Most Asians families stress and value the importance of education. To be discriminated against because colleges want diversity is really racist. Maybe if everyone would be accepted on their own merit and intelligence, it would motivate the other races to work harder and value education more.

If all people are created equal, than why do we continue to handicap other races? No race should be treated differently, it's simply unfair.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Leftest heads are exploding with this topic.

They are the cause of 21st Century institutional racism and coming to grips with that fact really hurts.

As I mentioned, success is "penalized" in America by the leftest in the name of perceived "fairness"

The Democratic Party is obsessed with racial classifications / race and there is no such thing as "equality" in their agenda. They do not promote "Equal Opportunity" but instead they want "Equal Results" based on a numbers game of a specific skin tone or ethnicity and not on the individuals merit or personal achievement.

Regardless of your character or achievement, you must be penalized due to your skin color or ethnic background if your skin tone doesn't match their perceived biases.

As another poster pointed out, it is blatant Racism, the very definition of it, but when the political left practice racism it is called "fairness" somehow and not only tolerated but promoted.

It is wrong to penalize and treat people differently and not judge people on their own individual merit because they fall under some leftest "racial classification".

The Civil Rights push was for equal rights, not to judged by the color of someones skin but by their individual character.

What the left is doing is exactly the opposite.

Who does not agree that setting higher / different standards for someone to get admittance based off their skin color / tone or ethnicity is truly the definition of racism?

edit on 17-5-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I told my son ( teenager ) about this thread and this is what he said, "How very Un-American" and thought it was straight up racism.

Then he quoted me this:

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

Emma Lazarus

This country is going insane. MHO..

edit on 17-5-2015 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Here is a different direction on this...

How do we determine if a person is Asian, Black, White etc... What is to stop me from claiming I'm African American and get the extra points? In Ca I do know that Asian is not a minority since it is related to population percentage and medium income.

edit on 17-5-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

How do we determine if a person is Asian, Black, White etc... What is to stop me from claiming I'm African American and get the extra points? In Ca I do know that Asian is not a minority since it is related to population percentage and medium income.

Good question. And how about claiming you are transgender to qualify for grants and programs set aside for Women?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Well, to extend that further, what defines the minority? Is it blood or cultural upbringing? Look at Scott Fujita the NFL linebacker, white guy ethnically who was adopted by Japanese parents. Would he be white or Asian? He is white by blood, but he's going to be Asian by cultural upbringing.

My husband is another example. He has a biological grandmother who is full-blooded Native American, so he's technically 1/8 and could claim NA ethnicity. According to the US Census Bureau, we have a mixed marriage, and our son at 1/16 NA qualifies as mixed blood.

But he was adopted by white parents and raised with a completely white cultural background.

SO what is he? White or NA or mixed?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

But he was adopted by white parents and raised with a completely white cultural background.

SO what is he? White or NA or mixed?

I have a friend that was raised by foster black parents, he is blond but culturally he is 100% black, he even married a black girl, so here is another one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join