It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slavery: Islam's Best Kept Secret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Skyra is a runaway Mauritanian slave. Her earliest childhood memories are of fetching water, tending animals and cooking and cleaning...

BBC - Slavery: Mauritania's Best Kept Secret

Not surprising given that the quran takes slavery for granted. Also not much different from the conditions that Asian migrant workers face in the Gulf nations. Allaho Akbar!

Sep

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Slavary has been accpted in most of the past religions. It is refered to by Paul in his letters to Timothy.

The first man to disallow the ownership of slavery was a middle eastern king know as Cyrus, but I guess he was ahead of his time.

[edit on 22-12-2004 by Sep]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Most of monotheism religions support slavery, but thre are bits in every religious texts that say things that are not followed, for instance in exodus the same line that tells christians that homosexuality is wrong, also states that they shouldn't eat pork now quakers dont eat pork but most chrisitans do eat pork, most moslems dont practice salvery but some do

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
How did you coincide Islam with Mauritania's slave trade? Many of the Middle East countries, from a BBC documentry I saw once, state that slavery is ambundant.

There is no refference to Islam ebetting such behaviour in this entire article. You just saw the name Mohhemed, and assumed as such..

Deep

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
"heirtobokassa": Here we go again.

Need I remind you why the American civil war was fought.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by aSEEKER
"heirtobokassa": Here we go again.

Need I remind you why the American civil war was fought.

Was it because the South wanted to exercise their States Rights and secede from the demands/protectionist trade policies restricting the South's right of free trade with Europe?

There is another thread on this particular argument, please go read it before you continue to argue that the only reason that war was fought was slavery ...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Perhaps if you read more, your opinions wouldn't be onesided.

www.twf.org...

To answer this question, it should first be remarked that Islam has tolerated slavery but has never approved of it, and that all its teachings and prescriptions in this regard lead to its alleviation as far as possible in the short term, and, in the longer term, conduce to its progressive suppression. To abolish it would have been impossible in a world in which it was generally practiced by all the states which bordered on the new Muslim empire, and in which the idea of challenging the principle itself had not occurred to anyone. It was the custom to enslave prisoners of war -- when these were not simply massacred -- and the Islamic state would have put itself at a grave disadvantage vis-a-vis its enemies had it not reciprocated to some extent. By guaranteeing them humane treatment, and various possibilities of subsequently releasing themselves, it ensured that a good number of combatants in the opposing armies preferred captivity at the hands of Muslims to death on the field of battle.
It should be very clearly underlined that the slavery once practiced in the Muslim world cannot be compared to the form it had assumed -- for instance -- in the Roman Empire. Islamic legislation subjected slaveowners to a set of precise obligations, first among which was the slave's right to life, for, according to a hadith, 'Whoever kills his slave shall be killed by us'. In consequence, the murder of a slave was punished like that of a free man.

There are many other hadiths which define Islam's true attitude in this regard. The Prophet said: 'Your slaves are your brethren; therefore whoever has a brother who depends upon him must feed and clothe him in the way he feeds and clothes himself; and should not impose upon him tasks which exceed his capacity; should you ask them to do such things, then you are obliged to help them.' The Sharia takes this injunction, among many others, into account when defining the responsibilities and duties of slaveholders.

don't just read the quote, click on the link and become better informed.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
But I was planning on just reading the quote....
....seriously though....people bitch and moan about the US, Europe, whatever....but most of us dont realize how good we have it...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
just to clearify if need be .

Cyrus was Zoroastrian .

www.oznet.net...

Further a little more history of that region. Christianity wasn�t the only colonial religion.

en.wikipedia.org...

Cyrus was indeed a man ahead of his time .

[edit on C:Thuocu12e12 by Opus]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
What about the practice of female circumcision in muslim countries? I view this as a form of slavery because it is done by men to (young) women as a means to help keep them under 'control'.

BTW, starting to hear that this barbaric ritual is now being exported to Europe and most likely the US by muslim immigrants.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
What about the practice of female circumcision in muslim countries? I view this as a form of slavery because it is done by men to (young) women as a means to help keep them under 'control'.

BTW, starting to hear that this barbaric ritual is now being exported to Europe and most likely the US by muslim immigrants.

Female Circumcision is not an islamic belief, show me where in the quran it talks about female circumcision.

Female circumcision is an the tradition of certain african countries who maintained that tradition after converting to islam.

the proof of this is that no arab country practices female circumcision (only african countries do this).

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Really? Check out this link ...

www.minaret.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
from your link:

Permitting such a ritual constitutes an act of tolerance by Islamic law for pre-Islamic practices, and may be overruled by the Islamic prohibition against harmful acts. Consider, for example, that Islamic law protects a woman's right to sexual enjoyment, as demonstrated by the fact that a woman has the right to divorce on the grounds that her husband does not provide sexual satisfaction. It follows that Islamic law prohibits clitorodectomy (partial or complete removal of the clitoris) or infibulation (excision of part or all of the external genitalia and stitching/narrowing of the vaginal opening), or any genital mutilation which impairs the woman's ability to enjoy sexual relations. Such prohibitions are consistent with the hadithic warning against severity in female circumcision.

If the Islamic law does not mandate female genital mutilation and tolerates only the most mild form of circumcision (and that only if it produces no adverse effects in the child), then how does it come about that so many people from certain countries with large Muslim populations insist that savage acts which exceed these limits are not only permitted, but required by Islamic law? The answer becomes obvious when one realizes that Christians from many of these countries also insist that the tradition is mandated by their religion as well. People often confuse traditions rooted in local culture with religious requirements.

Read the last 2 sentences there. your link proves my point.

posted on Dec, 25 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Basement

The reason we have it so good as you put it, is because we've been stepping on people to get ahead since the country's inception.

Centurion

Female circumcision is most assuredly bizarre, but it is definitely not unique to muslim nations. There's loads of evidence to this point readily available on the net.

Ashlar

There are muslim countries that practice female circumcision. There are also African nations representing people of many religions who practice it. It is my understanding that the purpose is to limit sexual pleasure in women. The quran does advocate keeping women loyal to one man by any means necessary, including mutilation. Therefore, while the quran does not provide instructions for cutting off a clitoris, it does allow it by proxy.

There is plenty of evidence that suggests muslim countries stone to death and execute by beheading more people than other nations..However..This doesn't mean they're evil through and through, it just means they haven't mastered the finer points of media manipulation.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Basement

The reason we have it so good as you put it, is because we've been stepping on people to get ahead since the country's inception.

You are out of your mind....we've been around for under 300 years...and we are a World Power...THE World Power...on which democracy and other nations strive to be...we didnt step on half the people Britian, France, etc stepped on...and yet they still havent achieved what we have...

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

In all of the stories I have read on this, the practice itself is actually performed by the women, not the men. So everyone of them doing it have actually lived through the horror of it themselves. Personally, I find this more disturbing than men doing it, whether it is being mandated by the men or not.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
[You are out of your mind....we've been around for under 300 years...and we are a World Power...THE World Power...on which democracy and other nations strive to be...we didnt step on half the people Britian, France, etc stepped on...and yet they still havent achieved what we have...

Just for you, BasementAddix:

www.britishempire.co.uk...

Ashlar made a great point, many people confuse tradition with religious requirement. A good example is the burkha. The Quran apparently states that a woman must show only her face and hands but many people believe it is a requirement for a muslim woman to be totally covered. I think the burkha was traditional arab dress for women that has been taken into the islamic religion.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
the British empire ended after WW2...thats when the US empire came into existance...Yea Britian is still a World Leader...but in no way can it be compared to the US anymore...

top topics

join