It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Why are so Many People Afraid/Unaccepting of Transgender People?

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: prepared4truth

Oh god please tell me you are not being serious.

The inclusion of homosexuality as a mental illness in DSM was a result of "social norm" and "pressures", NOT studies!

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: prepared4truth

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Simple google search. Can you do this?

en.wikipedia.org...
psychology.ucdavis.edu...

and many many other sources.

The burden is on YOU.

What? I think this is why ATS saddens me now. So many people throwing around exactly what you said "simple Google searches", very few are interested in truly progressive thought anymore. Everybody just wants to make change just for the social value of being considered "revolutionary". Very few people are even being revolutionary anymore.

You need to Google the definition of (progressive).
There is nothing about any of your arguments that is "progressive" , regressive or reactionary yes but not progressive.

Oh, such fun.
K~

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Look... I said it's a simple google search. Many sources popped up. Don't make yourself look like a fool. Like so...

These included several categories of "personality disturbance", generally distinguished from "neurosis" (nervousness, egodystonic). In 1952, the APA listed homosexuality in the DSM as a sociopathic personality disturbance. Homosexuality: A Psychoanalytic Study of Male Homosexuals, a large-scale 1962 study of homosexuality, was used to justify inclusion of the disorder as a supposed pathological hidden fear of the opposite sex caused by traumatic parent–child relationships. This view was widely influential in the medical profession. In 1956, however, the psychologist Evelyn Hooker performed a study that compared the happiness and well-adjusted nature of self-identified homosexual men with heterosexual men and found no difference. Her study stunned the medical community and made her a hero to many gay men and lesbians, but homosexuality remained in the DSM until May 1974.

Homosexuality: A Psychoanalytic Study of Male Homosexuals is a 1962 book about the development of male homosexuality by Irving Bieber, Harvey J. Dain, Paul R. Dince, Marvin G. Drellich, Henry G. Grand, Ralph R. Gundlach, Malvina W. Kremer, Alfred H. Rifkin, Cornelia B. Wilbur, and Toby B. Bieber.[1] Though the work was influential and earned Bieber the status of psychoanalytic expert on homosexuality, several of his and its other authors' claims were later repudiated by the American Psychiatric Association and the American Psychological Association, and they have been criticized on a variety of methodological grounds.

I can keep on and on with the google searches.

en.wikipedia.org...
Another source
edit on 5/23/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

So that there is NO convolution:

I am not asking for anything really. I know that you cannot provide what I am asking you for, which is the irony of it.

I am making a claim that homosexuality is a mental disorder, as shown by virtually every society's outlook on it from the beginning of mankind. This social norm and "preference for heterosexuality (lol)" is the root of our existence.

I tend to agree with Freud that our gender is shaped by environment, with homosexuality being linked to trauma. It is more of a philosophy than anything. I would never consider homosexuality a crime or anything like that, it is your choice to do what you want to do.

Full circle to the original point of me entering this thread, I do not like the interference of sexual preference with a child's education, especially when there is no science backing it. I just can't get down with the agenda.

But good night all of you, you gave me a lot to think about.
edit on 23-5-2015 by prepared4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I am making a claim that homosexuality is a mental disorder, as shown by virtually every society's outlook on it from the beginning of mankind. This social norm and "preference for heterosexuality (lol)" is the root of our existence.

Society opinion on something doesn't make it so. Society once thought slavery was ok.

But good night all of you, you gave me a lot to think about.

That's what this site is all about LOL.

We give each other something to think about.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I know in your world that's the way it works but just because you believe it, that doesn't make it true.

K~

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I used to believe that it had roots in trauma. I even believed that as recently as a few years ago. This was a mistake on my part based on one person I grew up with. Pretty ignorant of me, but he was the only gay person I really new on a personal level. His mother was an alcoholic. Thanks to critical thinking, public awareness and meeting someone who challenged that view I don't believe that anymore.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I'd just like to note that I believe that there are individual/personal qualities in which we must all work on like little life challenges if you will. My two personal qualities that I believe I am tested on a daily are patience and temperance to which I will add that I have made amazing progress over the last decade.

That being said I mildly regret losing my cool last evening in dealing with certain individuals here who I am fairly convinced are simply here to troll so that they may feed off of the negative energy they so like to instill into others.
I'm also confident that these cowardly types would not be that hateful and brazen face to face in a public setting.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Maybe it's because we don't understand what you are asking for. Are you asking for studies proving it's not a "mental illness"? How do you make that kind of study? That's like conducting a study proving that dogs are not cats. Homosexuality simply doesn't fit the definition of a mental illness.

One of the main reason it was removed from the DSM is because a disorder has negative side-effects, and being gay in itself there is none. I think one could debate whether or not it might be considered a birth defect, but not a disorder.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: prepared4truth

I tend to agree with Freud that our gender is shaped by environment, with homosexuality being linked to trauma. It is more of a philosophy than anything. I would never consider homosexuality a crime or anything like that, it is your choice to do what you want to do.

So I was right.

You want to hang on to 40+ year old ideas ---- because it's what YOU want to believe.

You are simply wrong.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Cuervo

Maybe it's because we don't understand what you are asking for. Are you asking for studies proving it's not a "mental illness"? How do you make that kind of study? That's like conducting a study proving that dogs are not cats. Homosexuality simply doesn't fit the definition of a mental illness.

One of the main reason it was removed from the DSM is because a disorder has negative side-effects, and being gay in itself there is none. I think one could debate whether or not it might be considered a birth defect, but not a disorder.

I call it a birth difference.

If you think about it, we are all mutations from the first homosapien. We ALL have birth differences.

I have AB blood type and green eyes. Definitely a mutation birth difference.

As I say, the complexity of creating a human is extreme. You throw all the ingredients into a big "soup pot", and stir. You are going to get ALL variations of those mixed ingredients. We are not clones. We are not stamped from a machine that puts everything in "perfect" order. We're just a bunch of ingredients mixed together in a similar pattern, but not exact. Pass the salt please.
edit on 23-5-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Responding to the fallout from your anger could be a sore spot that resurfaces every now and then. However, you might believe that you already dealt with the original source of the problem. Luckily, you can count on your friends and relatives for support, which may be sufficient to guide you through these rough waters. Lean on the shoulders offered, but take full responsibility by learning from your past mistakes. Gracefully adapting to the changing tides demonstrates your magnanimity and your willingness to grow

My horoscope for today LOL talk about relevant

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Love yourself for who you were born to be.

Many reports have been recorded by people recounting efforts to change their sexual orientation from homosexual to heterosexual with no success. For these reasons, psychologists believe that sexual orientation is not a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed. In addition, scientific research over 30 years confirms that homosexual orientation is not associated with emotional or social problems. Based on research conducted in the 1960s, psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals concluded that homosexuality is not an illness, mental disorder, or emotional problem. psychology.jrank.org...

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
Responding to the fallout from your anger could be a sore spot that resurfaces every now and then. However, you might believe that you already dealt with the original source of the problem. Luckily, you can count on your friends and relatives for support, which may be sufficient to guide you through these rough waters. Lean on the shoulders offered, but take full responsibility by learning from your past mistakes. Gracefully adapting to the changing tides demonstrates your magnanimity and your willingness to grow

My horoscope for today LOL talk about relevant

LOVE IT!

It took me a few years to learn not to get sucked in to negative thinkers and/or baiters. If you feel your buttons being pushed, just keep on scrolling.

My mom loved quotes. Here's my favorite: "You can not expect from people what they have not yet learned".

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

My mom loved quotes. Here's my favorite: "You can not expect from people what they have not yet learned".

The "learned" is the tricky part. Some people, it seems, won't.

But hey! Go Ireland!

edit on 5/23/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Annee

The "learned" is the tricky part. Some people, it seems, won't.

But hey! Go Ireland!

For sure

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: honested3
I don't have a problem with any kind of anybody...my daughter is bisexual and a close fried of hers is transgendered. If I don't like someone it is because they are a crappy person, not because of how they identify. It has to be fear or lack of understanding, although I don't consider that an excuse.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: kittinst0mper

I don't have a problem with any kind of anybody...my daughter is bisexual and a close fried of hers is transgendered. If I don't like someone it is because they are a crappy person, not because of how they identify. It has to be fear or lack of understanding, although I don't consider that an excuse.

Well you are an awesome person then, and I wish more people were like you!

A friendly tip "transgendered" is an incorrect term, simply say "she is transgender." As saying transgendered is like saying Bob is gayed, straighted, lesbianed etc.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
My bad.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
So much fear that they might get the gay virus. The funny part is that transgenderism has nothing to do with being gay. Like somebody said you wouldn't know it when the "man" pee next to you.

top topics

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join