It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Why are so Many People Afraid/Unaccepting of Transgender People?

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

But there are people and things that cause people to feel, that something is "wrong" or scary or worrisome. I'm sure this applies to this topic to some extent. If the way another person acts or dresses is alien to you...you may recoil. Not out of hate, but out of an emotional response to something so different or alien to them.

But, isn't what's important - - is what you do after you have a "natural" response to something different or foreign to you?

That's when the Dignity of others and treating people equally should kick in.

Of course...but as a youth I had very long hair. Kind of a metal hippie type. I didn't demand anything from anyone and basically expected to be looked at differently by some people. Typically people I wouldn't want to be friends with any way. Human reaction, for some, when they encounter something different from the norm is to recoil, look away and avoid. Others simply choose to look at another person and decide they don't like their differences. We all do that!

Where there is a problem is when you discriminate or do harm to another person. Which I don't see much of occurring. No person can demand that they be liked and accepted no matter who they are. It just doesn't work that way for everyone. As long as no one is trying to hurt you or keep you from living your life freely...you are being treated equally.

It is the acceptance that some demand that is not something you are going to get from everyone. But this doesn't just apply to the LGBT community...it even applied to this white male from an upper-middle-income family when I was a teen.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

If one has reconstructive nose surgery, it is not mutilation,
it is simply reconstructive surgery..

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: honested3

Haven't had time to read the thread yet but just wanted to say you're awesome, stick around. There's a lot of confusion, reactiveness and fear in the world, and quite a bit on this site but the only way it can ever get better is with education, time, and more folks speaking their mind on the subject. As disheartening as this community can be at times, especially considering this is supposed to be a forum of open minded, curious people looking to "deny ignorance", I believe there's plenty of folks who do keep an open mind. I mean it's perfectly acceptable for someone to believe they've been abducted by aliens or are being stalked by the government here, but somehow the gender binary is a heavily reinforced " reality " leaving little room for personal philosophies or new information? I don't understand how they works. But I grok the trans thing, I have an idea how insanely brave folks have to be to speak openly about it. I'll just say for those who don't understand yet I hope they are at least seeking to understand. I know ats has a hard stance on hate speech, but this is still a subject where most folks don't even know how harmful and hateful what they're saying can be. I don't think censorship is the answer, but I figure in a community that doesn't tolerate homophobia we shouldn't be tolerating rampant, hateful transphobia either. People are people.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess
You know the really sad part for me is that I already make many concessions to the intolerant and unaccepting populace (at least while in my backwoods redneck home town with no a limited palate of culture and diversity). Yet Im treated like a monster when I simply ask to be treated with dignity.

I walk around wearing as accepted by society (it is all just cloth in the end really anyway right?) male clothes with stereotypically male colors while my ever effeminate appearance is slightly masked by my 5 O'Clock shadow. I walk with a masculine strut not allowing my hair to swing as it is tied up and sometimes tucked under my hat. I put bass in my voice and suppress my natural inclination to sway my hips.

I allow the fear of the intolerant and unaccepting to cause me to live in fear and ultimately suppress my own happiness. Its ok though I do this for you, you the intolerant and unaccepting. I do this because I have for so long, I do this because I am strong enough for both of us, I do this to protect both of us from what could ultimately be a permanent goodbye for either one of us, I do this because I LOVE you ALL and I accept you and care about you ( I don't even kill or react uncomfortably to spiders either)

It is not until I am in the lovely cities of America that I am able to let my hair down and shine with the warmth and brightness of the star I am, Namaste.

That was beautiful and it really hit home.

After living years formulating every detail of your life around making others comfortable, your own health and psyche eventually becomes more of a biological imperative than fitting into made-up roles.

Eventually, a person has to stop living for other people because it comes between them and their health. I'm done trying to be strong enough for everybody else. Screw that. I deserve to be able to pursue my health.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

"If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him."

Hi WeAreAWAKE..

Are you sincerely awake?

That quote there sounds like something your cunning and shrwedfully deceptive, read even: "Shameful," government actually taught you; (This I base upon the message of your avatar, so glance at your avatar )..be careful of those teachings lest they represent the very principles, and the very teachings you wish ultimately oppose..

On a higher note, I very much like the "Lion" picture nonetheless, he is the picture after all, of that very distinguished, and very appealling personnage and protagonist in that very old and very wonderful 1939's movie, "THE WIZARD OF OZ".. There was a moral to that story now wasn't there? I believe the Lion represented the lesson of COURAGE.. And in that movie, he at no moment represented neither the will nor the animal intention to prey upon neither the innoncence nor upon the benevolence of others...

I'll see if I can find a picture of the Lion..

edit on 19-5-2015 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

I hold my fellow humans to higher standards than that of an apex wilderness predator.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
There's a lot of folks saying they don't care and I imagine indifference is the ultimate goal. Right now, it seems there's folks who don't understand what it means to be transgender, and largely attribute it to some personal failing or mental weakness. Then, because it confuses people sexually there's anger and disgust towards trans folks, and this downplaying of the severity of the dysphoria on top of general disgust from the public... It's no wonder the suicide rates are high. They're treated as sub human.

But, there's no way to force acceptance. I believe that if folks were educated about the issue it would help defuse some of the taboo. The ultimate goal would be indifference. To be able to live without people voicing their disgust, their hate, and their lack of empathy... But that also can't be legislated. So at the very least to be legally permitted to exist, and to be tolerated, to be able to reasonably expect that they could leave the house without being abused in public would be great.

Knowledge and empathy cures fear. I think that's why there's a push towards visibility, but a lot of folks act like the increased visibility is to try and coax acceptance from those who *totally disagree* (it's a real thing, folks) with gender dysphoria when it isn't at all. The visibility is ultimately so that trans folks don't feel so isolated and alone. The suicide rates are staggering. This thread illustrated it all too well. Trans folks are seen as freaks. Unnatural, superficial, unhealthy and confused people. I know that's not true and I hope that those misconceptions can be cleared up soon. They're people with all the nuances and emotions of anyone else who just want to be treated like people. The world has such a narrow definition of normal that I don't see any point in enforcing. It takes all the color out of life when you want a homogenous culture.

I think it'd be fantastic if more people didn't care. Then, perhaps, being trans wouldn't make folks feel like imposters who are unworthy of love and acceptance in the world.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

But there are people and things that cause people to feel, that something is "wrong" or scary or worrisome. I'm sure this applies to this topic to some extent. If the way another person acts or dresses is alien to you...you may recoil. Not out of hate, but out of an emotional response to something so different or alien to them.

But, isn't what's important - - is what you do after you have a "natural" response to something different or foreign to you?

That's when the Dignity of others and treating people equally should kick in.

Of course...but as a youth I had very long hair. Kind of a metal hippie type. I didn't demand anything from anyone and basically expected to be looked at differently by some people. Typically people I wouldn't want to be friends with any way. Human reaction, for some, when they encounter something different from the norm is to recoil, look away and avoid. Others simply choose to look at another person and decide they don't like their differences. We all do that!

I am from the hippie era. That was a chosen anti-establishment behavior. You had a choice.

LGBT is not about choosing who you want to be in the area of sexual orientation. It is who you are.

You can accept yourself and present yourself in what is right for you ---- or cater to making others happy because they feel uncomfortable.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Your appreciation is appreciated and I spoke from the heart on that and simply hope my words can help the negotiations between what would seem to be mortal enemies a reply to: Cuervo

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

There's a solid point in here, because as a bio female who has been socialized around casual nudity and having dated/lived with/been friends with many trans folks I am still uncomfortable in certain situations around cisgendered males (even a male obgyn) I don't know, but experience no discomfort changing with/showering with non binary folks. My mind has created a pretty clear distinction there, because the trans women I've met have always immediately registered to me as female not just visually but emotionally to me as well. I don't know what constitutes femininity, but I do find there's a lot of empathy and respectfulness of boundaries in the LGBT community. I think that the instinctive discomfort that many feel about penis-having folks would dissipate if the social situation changed (including an effort to combat the vilification of cis males). I think the sex offender registry being largely male does factor a lot into folks discomfort, though. It'd be a huge challenge to reconcile the fears of predatory behaviors and the safety of the trans community.

I've been in situations where I've had casual, respectful conversations while nude, with a man, that was not sexual. This isn't the norm though, but I believe I benefitted from being able to separate sex from nudity.
edit on 19-5-2015 by hearows because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Coincidently enough I am astrologically a lion(ess) as it would be lol anyway if the lion trys to eat me my friend he might get more than he can chew a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This thread should be in the ''presuming opinions / word meanings'', ''baiting'', ''playing victim'', ''name calling'' and ''bullying those that disagree it's opinion and deny it the attention it wants'' forum.

No chance of actual intelligent discussion of ethics or the true findings of scientific research on this thread.

Cue name calling and false accusations

edit on 19-5-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Goodbye, feel free to come back and PARTICIPATE any time.a reply to: theabsolutetruth

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Baiting = deliberately annoy or taunt (someone) like calling me a whatever rude slur you would like or similar to that nature?a reply to:theabsolutetruth

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: ForteanOrg
So...
Scary, not creepy.

Much bigger too

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Oh and hey how about that story of the caged lion being set free, wasn't that great to see the reaction of something caged so long to enjoy a more NATURAL setting.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

No chance of actual intelligent discussion of ethics or the true findings of scientific research on this thread.

This is really the crux of any discussion about the anti-life / anti-family / anti-Christian movement that is the umbrella for the sexual revolution, pro-drug, pro-abortion, pro-promiscuity, pro-divorce, pro-sodomy, pro-mutilation and ultimately pro-death secular relativism that is gaining a foothold and actively working for the destruction of our society.

There is no discussion that is not tolerant of their sexual whims, and there is utter rejection of the society built on Christian ethics and traditional values that has given them the freedom to partner with the evil one.

Make any attempt to warn them that the master they knowingly, or unknowingly serve is a brutal tyrant and you are labeled a hate-filled bigot.

That doesn't mean it's not worth pointing out, and that our values are not worth defending even when the pile-on orgy happens.

There may be one, or two, or many who read this, and it will resonate with them tonight, or tomorrow, or next year.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
A question, why won't you respond directly to me? Im trying to actually reasonably and intelligently talk to you here. Id also like to know your opinion on an ultimate solution to these times of tension? a reply to: theabsolutetruth

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Would it be against the T&C to suggest that the world would be a better place if some participants were to play in heavy traffic?

K~

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join