It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Question: Why are so Many People Afraid/Unaccepting of Transgender People?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: honested3
a reply to: ketsuko

Okay well the DARE program is about not using drugs, it is great, but teaching children about acceptance is another thing. I know its easy to think we need to just ignore certain groups of people in the effort of "progress". You would share a view similar to the slave handlers not too long ago who thought the same about people of color.

Excuse me, but the most anyone in this country has any right to expect from anyone else is tolerance. Tolerance and acceptance are not the same thing. You should look them up.

Children do not need to be taught to accept anything. That's teaching children what to think, and that has no place in schools which are not supposed to be centers of indoctrination.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Sure there are some transgender people who are sexual perverts and sex offender, but no more than there are in the church. I mean you are taking the easy way out which is ignorance and making it out like all we want is to prey on others in the bathroom. Think logically about all of this, is it really worthy the tremendous amount of time and money and pain and social humilation just to go into a woman's bathroom? No that is ridiculous.

To be honest I totally understand the uncomfortable aspect of having someone with different genitalia using the "wrong" bathroom. I know to be honest I am not comfortable with others in the bathroom at all, but still it is a right as a human being to have access to these things. Look at what they are doing in (I want to say Canada, I apologize if that is off) where they made it illegal to use a restroom outside the assigned sex. You see trans women in dresses in the men's bathroom and transmen in the women's restroom.

If we are being honest though, its not us you have to worry about, its people like you that we have to worry about, the supposedly loving and accepting Christians. In fact I would love to have a "transgender" bathroom only to avoid people like yourself.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: honested3
Many states can legally fire you for anything.. I live in a right to work state too. For the most part people here are very civil about these topics. Not everyone will agree with your stance doesn't mean your under attack.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Don't you use the family restrooms that a lot of places have these days?

+1 more 
posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I find the argument that homosexual/bisexual/transgender people "push" their sexual orientation down people's throats amusing.

Ever listen to the radio? Watch TV?

We're constantly inundated with heterosexual themes, innuendos and stereotypes. Unless you don't consume any kind of media, you are being exposed to heterosexual lifestyles constantly. The way I see it, sexuality in general is being pushed down everyone's throat -- not just homosexuality/transgender/bisexuality.

I don't care what other people do in their private lives as much as the next guy -- but for some reason it's OK to know about heterosexual people's sex lives but not others?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
We all know discrimination exists in multiple forms for people of all walks of life. Being hostile against those who don't see things your way, doesn't help to make them open their mind and be any more understanding. It is clear you are hurting due to your experiences, but when you lash out and call people names you only cause them to close their minds further to your point of view.

edit on 5/17/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

a reply to: ketsuko

Okay well the DARE program is about not using drugs, it is great, but teaching children about acceptance is another thing. I know its easy to think we need to just ignore certain groups of people in the effort of "progress". You would share a view similar to the slave handlers not too long ago who thought the same about people of color.

Excuse me, but the most anyone in this country has any right to expect from anyone else is tolerance. Tolerance and acceptance are not the same thing. You should look them up.

Children do not need to be taught to accept anything. That's teaching children what to think, and that has no place in schools which are not supposed to be centers of indoctrination.

Great idea I will look up those words!

Acceptance:
1. the act of taking or receiving something offered.
2. favorable reception; approval; favor.
3. the act of assenting or believing:

Tolerance:
1. A fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, beliefs, practices, racial or ethnic origins, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
2. A fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions, beliefs, and practices that differ from one's own.
3. Interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own; a liberal, undogmatic viewpoint

So we have a couple definitions for Acceptance, the one I am looking for is the believing part, as in believe gender identity is a real thing, and tolerance I think that is self explanatory. I do agree that children shouldn't be taught what to think, free thinking is paramount to living a fulfilled life and being Human. I do however feel that a free thinking mind should also be taught tolerance and acceptance (as in the validity of a concept ie definition 3.)

If a free mind is like a free bird, is it so illogical and earth shattering to suggest the 'free bird' is not flying all by themselves but flying with otheres?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
We are a slow evolving creature, people who fear the unknown will always be stuck in the past, i try to teach to my kids that we all are all beautiful and different.

Thanks for taking the time to make your thread, heres hoping you can open a few sets of eyes.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I don't get the bathroom thing ...

In bathrooms will stalls, no one can see anyone else. Are we so self-concious that we can't pee/poop in the same proximity of the opposite sex?

When I've traveled around in Europe I noticed that their bathroom stalls have real walls that go from floor to celling, with actual solid doors. Some of these "stalls" have their own light switches in them. I found this VERY NICE!

If we had bathrooms like this in the USA, there's absolutely no reason why men/women/transgender people can't all use the same bathroom.

link   

Sure there are some transgender people who are sexual perverts and sex offender, but no more than there are in the church. I mean you are taking the easy way out which is ignorance and making it out like all we want is to prey on others in the bathroom.

OK, stop right there. I said there are perverts who will "impersonate" being transgender for access. You are trying to insinuate that I am saying something entirely different to promote your victim crap.

If we are being honest though, its not us you have to worry about, its people like you that we have to worry about, the supposedly loving and accepting Christians. In fact I would love to have a "transgender" bathroom only to avoid people like yourself.

What does Christianity have to do with a damn thing in my post?

And BTW they tried the Unisex bathroom idea and were sued.
edit on 17-5-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

I am a schizophrenic', have been for 17 years. I too encounter discrimination,Ive lost jobs,Ive lost friends,Ive been to hell basically, but guess what the world doesn't give a damn and nobody out there other than another schizophrenic has any frame of reference to be able to discuss the condition with, thats what doesn't register with these people the 99 percentile have not walked in their shoes yet we are supposed to understand them.In fact they want to make it compulsory to understand them that ultimately will be counter productive as normal people dont want their face pushed into other peoples dramas they have their own.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
We all know discrimination exists in multiple forms for people of all walks of life. Being hostile against those who don't see things your way, doesn't help to make them open there mind and be any more understanding. It is clear you are hurting due to your experiences, but when you lash out and call people names you only cause them to close their minds further to your point of view.

Youre right, I am sorry for calling people bigots, I would appreciate if you could use the same enforcement towards people in other threads using offensive terms as "tranny" or "freak" or transgendered" I feel a little singled out, granted I know you mean well.

+10 more 
posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Look, the general here is that more or less everyone agrees that you are perfectly free to live as you wish, but you should not expect approval of it, only tolerance which is basically what you see.

You are getting rather blunt personal opinions.

But frankly, people are tired of various special interests attempting to remake the world in their image.

Look at homosexuals. For a demographic that is at best 5% of the population, they are so over-represented in the media that most people think they are actually about 25% of the population.

And we are being forced into remaking our most basic institutions in order to accommodate those very tiny groups. It is striking at the very basic fabric of society, and it is making a lot of people mad. It's one thing to make reasonable accommodations and quite another to tear down our society and remake it in the preferred image of this or that social minority group.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Fair enough request.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: lambs to lions

I am a schizophrenic', have been for 17 years. I too encounter discrimination,Ive lost jobs,Ive lost friends,Ive been to hell basically, but guess what the world doesn't give a damn and nobody out there other than another schizophrenic has any frame of reference to be able to discuss the condition with, thats what doesn't register with these people the 99 percentile have not walked in their shoes yet we are supposed to understand them.In fact they want to make it compulsory to understand them that ultimately will be counter productive as normal people dont want their face pushed into other peoples dramas they have their own.

Yep welcome to life with chronic migraine. Suck it up and go on with things.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Sure there are some transgender people who are sexual perverts and sex offender, but no more than there are in the church. I mean you are taking the easy way out which is ignorance and making it out like all we want is to prey on others in the bathroom.

OK, stop right there. I said there are perverts who will "impersonate" being transgender for access. You are trying to insinuate that I am saying something entirely different to promote your victim crap.

What does Christianity have to do with a damn thing in my post?

And BTW they tried the Unisex bathroom idea and were sued.

Ok well why even bring it up then? Should I assume anytime a church is being built "Careful now, a Christian could impersonate a pastor so as to be around children." You are asserting a negative connotation to something that would otherwise be unnecessary. And well you are a Christian aren't you? your Hebrew signature says Jesus Elohim something (going off of google translate) and look at your avatar pic. And I mean most people that deny other humans their basic rights are generally Christian so..

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

A bit narrow minded and shallow there dont you think?

I guess you agreed with my first two points since you didn't comment on them...

You are most likely correct but is it right or wrong, or just the way things are? I'm 55 and of course I have social norms well embedded into my very being. You asked why and now you feel the need to condemn an honest point of view....

I could easily say you are narrow minded and shallow in you do not think that other's opinions that may not match your own as wrong... I have lived all over the world and I do not agree with ALL life styles, this doesn't mean I think those life styles should not be allowed... I just see them as strange, except for the ones that infringe on peoples freedoms and rights, those are wrong...

edit on 17-5-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Look at homosexuals. For a demographic that is at best 5% of the population, they are so over-represented in the media that most people think they are actually about 25% of the population.

Well, perhaps heterosexuals need to step their game up and start getting more jobs in the movie, tv, and film industry? I don't see this as a very good argument, as this is like saying that African Americans are over represented in basketball. If anyone came out and said that on TV, they'd be labeled a racist. I think the same applies to non-heterosexual people in the media.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Its called freedom.

Go whine somewhere I don't have to see it.

heh, this got me to chuckle. side by side sentences cancelling each other out.

btw, ats isn't required reading (unless you are in some absurd conspiracy training course where you are actually required..that would suck).
Dont like the thread...well, its called freedom..dont look at the thread.

moving on then.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Dont get mad op, people are closed minded and with the internet they feel the need to spew there outdated ideas.

Im all for behing loud and proud, it makes the close minded awkward.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join