It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Possible Antarctic shelf breaking off?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: johnwick

OK "out of control"- as in would destroy life as we know it because it would become outrageously hot all over in a short, "century" is the most used term by the AGW crowd.
Please provide any source which claims that life as we know it will be destroyed within a century.

How many official sources you want?
One would be good.

Hence greenhouses that add co2 produce much larger faster growing plants than open air crops of the same species.
Yes, but greenhouses are not in the open air, are they? How might increased temperatures and changes in rainfall affect crops? Not to mention what increased CO2 levels do to the oceans.

As far as oceans go, many times higher co2 didn't result in "acid" oceans many times in the past.

In fact, factors higher co2 concentrations were present when life exploded in the oceans.

Honestly, at work all I have is my phone which quoting individual points from is problematic at best on ATS mobile.

If you would word your responses in one context instead of several it would be much easier for thread clarity....but here goes.....

OK, my phones pos Os won't let me.....(the resolution while I fail is high though.....EFF tech right in its......)

Ok honestly the amount of sources were .....staggering.

What source do you want, I have thousands, as in tens of?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

As far as oceans go, many times higher co2 didn't result in "acid" oceans many times in the past.
Are you sure? Like I said, CO2 levels are higher now than they have been in more than 400,000 years. That's a really long time.

In fact, factors higher co2 concentrations were present when life exploded in the oceans.
Cool. But life has evolved to deal with current pH levels. A rapid change isn't likely to be beneficial.

If you would word your responses in one context instead of several it would be much easier for thread clarity....but here goes.....
You are posting one sentence "points". I am responding to them. It's not my fault you don't have a real computer. Don't ask me to cater to your lack.

What source do you want, I have thousands, as in tens of?
Like I said, just one that claims that life as we know it will be destroyed in a century would be a good start. As per your claim.
edit on 5/17/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Whatever did change past weather could very well be causing current fluctuations but we will never know if all the money is spent on proving GW from CO2. But scientist have to ride the gravy train to feed their family so I won't be holding my breath for an answer from them any-time soon.

Often those with high IQ's have the ego to match so I give myself zero chance of dinting your mindset. In zen, they tell to learn something new, we sometimes have to unlearn everything else and that's food for thought. Perhaps you need to work out for yourself why you are so sure GW is caused by CO2 and see if can stack up against alternative theories.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Whatever did change past weather could very well be causing current fluctuations but we will never know if all the money is spent on proving GW from CO2.
I guess you haven't actually looked at much (any) of the research if you think that. I guess you aren't aware that the effects of variables like volcanic eruptions and solar radiation are included in many avenues of research. Perhaps you ought to consider that there is more money to be made in coming up with evidence against AGW then in puny grants to actually study the climate.

Perhaps you need to work out for yourself why you are so sure GW is caused by CO2 and see if can stack up against alternative theories.
Perhaps you could provide some of those alternative theories. I asked earlier.

Om mani padme hum
And stuff.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I was in GW camp before it became a government sponsored tax program. When I realized that I was only looking at data that supported my mindset I examined contradictory evidence and realized I was wrong, You too can be like me phage

I am sure you can find enough alternative theories on the internet. The thing that interest me the most is that the earth exist in the suns atmosphere and we still don't fully comprehend the full impact of that. The sunspot activity before 2000 was fierce, now its quite, I am guessing we will see temperatures on earth plummet in next few decades, much like it has in the past (LIA).

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

I am sure you can find enough alternative theories on the internet.
But I asked you for some.

You too can be like me phage
Oh good. But no thanks.

The sunspot activity before 2000 was fierce, now its quite, I am guessing we will see temperatures on earth plummet in next few decades, much like it has in the past (LIA).

Actually sunspot activity has been declining since before 2000. As has total solar irradiance, a bit. Not enough to make much of a difference. Like I said, climatologists look at that sort of thing quite closely.

edit on 5/17/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Just oh so ho hum about it huh? Here's the thing... that particular ice shelf is massive... like MASSIVE. Ice shelves act as 2 way barriers for land ice, they cold insulate the land ice from the weather outside and act as a physical barrier for glaciers that slide towards the sea.

Losing that ice shelf is nothing to be casual about. The one thing we know for sure about it's cause is that since it has existed for 10,000+ years it isn't SIMPLY the winter/summer cycle. The land ice behind it will be vulnerable to melt once it breaks off, resulting in greater sea level rise.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
So NASA, the Pentagon, and NOAA all share the same view, as well as most other worldwide scientific organizations.

Yet so many will believe a a politician, political pundit, and fossil fuel industry scientist.

Could it have something to do with the USA being ranked 28 in education?

The Road Warrior movies shows what our world could look like and 30 years later next to nothing has been done to change anything. Enjoy the new movie.

The government in Florida forbid its use of words regarding climate change and the tactic of ignoring the problems hasn't made them go away as now many coastal cities are faced with the real threat from ocean rising and will have to pour untold millions to prepare what everyone who lives there knows is coming.

This ice shelf has been under observation for many years, I remember a huge 75 mile chuck broke off and sure enough now the entire thing will be gone very soon the speed this thing has dwindled away is shocking.

edit on 17-5-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: ketsuko

Just oh so ho hum about it huh? Here's the thing... that particular ice shelf is massive... like MASSIVE. Ice shelves act as 2 way barriers for land ice, they cold insulate the land ice from the weather outside and act as a physical barrier for glaciers that slide towards the sea.

Losing that ice shelf is nothing to be casual about. The one thing we know for sure about it's cause is that since it has existed for 10,000+ years it isn't SIMPLY the winter/summer cycle. The land ice behind it will be vulnerable to melt once it breaks off, resulting in greater sea level rise.

Why are you so concerned with the sea level rising?

Do you per chance own ocean front property?

The world has been in a state of constant flux since it began to coalesce into a planet.

Why is it this time it is so catastrophic to you?

It is the way of the world to change nonstop.

Adapt or decline.

The world honestly doesn't care which you choose.

It will change, all the time, you will change with it or perish.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
So NASA, the Pentagon, and NOAA all share the same view, as well as most other worldwide scientific organizations.

Yet so many will believe a a politician, political pundit, and fossil fuel industry scientist.

Could it have something to do with the USA being ranked 28 in education?

The Road Warrior movies shows what our world could look like and 30 years later next to nothing has been done to change anything. Enjoy the new movie.

The government in Florida forbid its use of words regarding climate change and the tactic of ignoring the problems hasn't made them go away as now many coastal cities are faced with the real threat from ocean rising and will have to pour untold millions to prepare what everyone who lives there knows is coming.

This ice shelf has been under observation for many years, I remember a huge 75 mile chuck broke off and sure enough now the entire thing will be gone very soon the speed this thing has dwindled away is shcould even cause thisg.

Lol road warrior?

A made up movie?

There is no evidence higher co2 could even cause this.

In fact, past data shows higher co2 is great for life without any climate problems.

In fact, we are in a co2 drout, not a co2 saturation period.

It has always been far higher in times of the greatest proliferation of life.

We are barely above the minimum for plants to even conduct photosynthesis.

Stop it!!!

Stop it right now!!!

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Interesting, what is the "minimum for plants to even conduct photosynthesis" - a hard number, please?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Why are you having a fit over my concern?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Wheelindiehl

Considering that there is an abnormally large amount of ice in that area ... is it really a surprise that some of the ice is breaking off? Also, they are at the end of their melt season heading into their winter.

Oh my God quick tell the scientists working down there they obviously have no idea.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atlantican
First we have to figure out why the mile or so of ice above the houses in the midwest melted. Then, and only then, can we begin to even debate what is happening toward the end of the melt. Simple physics I'm afraid but what is the initial cause? And why is the same happening on Mars and other planets & moons?

The "data" that supports that theory is cherry picked....suprise suprise !!! But hey if you wish to believe in BS I can't stop you.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

a reply to: Atlantican

And why is the same happening on Mars and other planets & moons?

What makes you think it is?

Regardless of whether the warming is man made or not, does not the climate history of Earth suggest warming will occur eventually?

On the opposite side of that same argumentative coin is the following :

If the Earths current climate was supposed to be stable for 10 thousand years and we have destabilised it should we do something to reverse it ?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Americans, more than the citizens of ANY other nation, are more likely to think (a) climate change isn't real (b) Dinosaurs lived with men (c) The Earth was created in seven days (actually it was six, according to The Bible)

Americans are LEAST likely to believe in Evolution, the Big Bang Theory, Climate Change, and many other issues which the rest of the World accept because they follow the SCIENCE, rather than listen to rhetoric from the likes of Fox News.

Gee, when you use terminology like that, I can almost hear the congregation in the background behind you shouting, "Can I get an AMEN!"

"AMEN, brother!"

"AMEN! AMEN!"

How can anyone fail to be converted with that kind of impassioned preaching?

Well it seems very true to me as an outside observer from the UK. Whenever I have visited the US I never see, hear or read anything to convince me that that opinion is wrong. The religious right over there Jesus H

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

Whatever did change past weather could very well be causing current fluctuations but we will never know if all the money is spent on proving GW from CO2. But scientist have to ride the gravy train to feed their family so I won't be holding my breath for an answer from them any-time soon.

Often those with high IQ's have the ego to match so I give myself zero chance of dinting your mindset. In zen, they tell to learn something new, we sometimes have to unlearn everything else and that's food for thought. Perhaps you need to work out for yourself why you are so sure GW is caused by CO2 and see if can stack up against alternative theories.

You do realise that funding differs around the world (yes there really is a world outside of the borders of the USA!!!!!) and yet the consensus (by a fricking huge margin) is that man is responsible.

Can you please inform me with your buddhist insight why scientists in other fields e.g. zoology also concur with the theory of man made GW ?

Did you know buddhists can be wrong!

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Thanks for staying on top of this.

Despite our various disagreements, I do appreciate your contributions. Sometimes greatly.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

a reply to: Atlantican

And why is the same happening on Mars and other planets & moons?

What makes you think it is?

Regardless of whether the warming is man made or not, does not the climate history of Earth suggest warming will occur eventually?

On the opposite side of that same argumentative coin is the following :

If the Earths current climate was supposed to be stable for 10 thousand years and we have destabilised it should we do something to reverse it ?

Supposed to be stable huh?

Why?

Because you say so?

That is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read online, that says a lot.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Why are you having a fit over my concern?

For the same reason you are having a fit over my lack?

Just a guess.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join