It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Possible Antarctic shelf breaking off?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I was reading an article during lunch but lunch is over so this is going to be short. It was another article about Antarctica losing a massive ice shelf into the ocean in the near future. I've always wondered how governments can overlook what is going on, or deny global warming altogether? Then it dawned on me...(hopefully this hasn't been a topic before)...maybe the governments actually want Antarctica to lose most of its ice. Its possible they know what lies under the ice and have been purposely fueling global warming to thin the ice enough to where they can drill down to what they want. Just a thought, gtg for now...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Wheelindiehl

Considering that there is an abnormally large amount of ice in that area ... is it really a surprise that some of the ice is breaking off? Also, they are at the end of their melt season heading into their winter.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
First we have to figure out why the mile or so of ice above the houses in the midwest melted. Then, and only then, can we begin to even debate what is happening toward the end of the melt. Simple physics I'm afraid but what is the initial cause? And why is the same happening on Mars and other planets & moons?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atlantican
First we have to figure out why the mile or so of ice above the houses in the midwest melted. Then, and only then, can we begin to even debate what is happening toward the end of the melt. Simple physics I'm afraid but what is the initial cause? And why is the same happening on Mars and other planets & moons?

Stop denying science!!!!

Everyone knows the ice isn't supossed to melt when an ice age ends!!!

Just because an ice age ends doesn't mean the glaciers aren't supossed to remain static.

/sarcasm........

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Atlantican

And why is the same happening on Mars and other planets & moons?

What makes you think it is?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

We are in an ice age. Learn the difference between that and glacial periods.

The last glacial period ended about 10,000 years ago. Compared to that change, temperatures have been relatively stable, up until recently.

edit on 5/16/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Calving, I like the word calving. Giving birth sounds so clinical.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Atlantican

And why is the same happening on Mars and other planets & moons?

What makes you think it is?

Regardless of whether the warming is man made or not, does not the climate history of Earth suggest warming will occur eventually?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: Atlantican

Stop denying science!!!!

Just because an ice age ends doesn't mean the glaciers aren't supossed to remain static.

/sarcasm........

We are technically in an ice age still.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Regardless of whether the warming is man made or not, does not the climate history of Earth suggest warming will occur eventually?

Yes. Very eventually. Like in 10s of thousands of years.

The thing is, at this time the climate history says cooling is the more likely scenario. The rapid warming which has been observed does not fit.
www.climatedata.info...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Governments (specifically, right wing politicians) are BEING PAID by the fossil fuel industry to look the other way.

The fossil fuel lobby is one of the largest in Washington. The reason that so many right wing politicians are drumming the "Climate Change is a hoax" beat is because of their large donors like the Koch Brothers.

The oil industry is spending a LOT of money to make sure that politicians aren't taking Global Warming seriously.

In the United States, they are also paying media companies a LOT of money to try and persuade the public that Global Warming is a hoax.

Americans, more than the citizens of ANY other nation, are more likely to think (a) climate change isn't real (b) Dinosaurs lived with men (c) The Earth was created in seven days (actually it was six, according to The Bible)

Americans are LEAST likely to believe in Evolution, the Big Bang Theory, Climate Change, and many other issues which the rest of the World accept because they follow the SCIENCE, rather than listen to rhetoric from the likes of Fox News.

One of the largest ice shelves ever to split is about to come off, and the Head of the NASA oversight committee, Presidential Candidate Ted Cruz, wants NASA to "stop looking at things like climate change"

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Considering that there is an abnormally large amount of ice in that area ... is it really a surprise that some of the ice is breaking off? Also, they are at the end of their melt season heading into their winter.

This comment shows so much ignorance of climate change science, I was hesitant to even give it the benefit of a comment.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Americans, more than the citizens of ANY other nation, are more likely to think (a) climate change isn't real (b) Dinosaurs lived with men (c) The Earth was created in seven days (actually it was six, according to The Bible)

Americans are LEAST likely to believe in Evolution, the Big Bang Theory, Climate Change, and many other issues which the rest of the World accept because they follow the SCIENCE, rather than listen to rhetoric from the likes of Fox News.

Gee, when you use terminology like that, I can almost hear the congregation in the background behind you shouting, "Can I get an AMEN!"

"AMEN, brother!"

"AMEN! AMEN!"

How can anyone fail to be converted with that kind of impassioned preaching?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Actually, it's true. In the US science takes a back seat to politics (and money).

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

originally posted by: ketsuko

This comment shows so much ignorance of climate change science, I was hesitant to even give it the benefit of a comment.

No, no, I am well aware that we are all going to burn away and die in a fiery hell of our own making.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

No, no, I am well aware that we are all going to burn away and die in a fiery hell of our own making.

Next are you going to claim that's what Al Gore said?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Actually, it's true. In the US science takes a back seat to politics (and money).

Folks should have listened to Eisenhower. They all caught the part about military/industrial, but they missed his second warning.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Actually no, but you went there.

I think the science is still out because there is still a lot we don't know.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I think the science is still out because there is still a lot we don't know.

We don't know how exactly why gravity works. Care to step off this ledge? Maybe what we know isn't exactly right.

Just because we don't know everything, it doesn't mean we don't know anything.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Compared to that change, temperatures have been relatively stable, up until recently.

Unless you look at real climate data that makes the recent change look like a yawn.

added... Which might explain how old maps like the Oronteus Finaeus map shows an ice-free Antarctica .

*** Only constant in climate is change. Those that deny change are the global warming brigade. ***
edit on 16 5 2015 by glend because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join