It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Deep Space Photos That Will Make You Feel Small...Earth Is So Tiny

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
These are some of the most amazing images I have ever seen.

That is one incredible telescope.

viralnova.com

A few more images and some brief descriptions at the link...Enjoy

edit on 16-5-2015 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Those pics are cool thanks.

But I couldn't help but notice this.

Is that the clown galaxy?

edit on 16-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The one photo that I can't seem to wrap my head around is the Ultra Deep Field from Hubble in 2014.

Astronomy Picture of the Day

I have no idea how far that view was taken. But there are no words to describe just how completely cutoff we are from the known universe. It's a shame the people alive today will likely never see man travel beyond the Moon let alone outside our solar system.

This Galaxy Far, Far Away Is the Farthest One Yet Found

The farthest confirmed galaxy to date, EGS-zs8-1, imaged here by the Hubble Space Telescope. New measurements taken at the W. M. Keck Observatory show that the galaxy lies about 13.1 billion light years from Earth.

That picture was released in an article on Space.com on May 5th 2015. 13.1 billion light years...

That distance is just unfathomable.

edit on 5/16/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: whyamIhere

Those pics are cool thanks.

But I couldn't help but notice this.

Is that the clown galaxy?

An exploding star leave a clown face behind. Really cool picture.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Great post, great pictures. The universe is beautiful

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
And people say we're the only life in the Universe....

Cause that makes total sense.

Amazing post! Thank you for putting things into perspective!

s&f

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
The one photo that I can't seem to wrap my head around is the Ultra Deep Field from Hubble in 2014.

I have no idea how far that view was taken. But there are no words to describe just how completely cutoff we are from the known universe. It's a shame the people alive today will likely never see man travel beyond the Moon let alone outside our solar system.

The farthest confirmed galaxy to date, EGS-zs8-1, imaged here by the Hubble Space Telescope. New measurements taken at the W. M. Keck Observatory show that the galaxy lies about 13.1 billion light years from Earth.

That picture was released in an article on Space.com on May 5th. 13.1 billion light years...

And considering the universe itself is only 13ish billion years old, we are seeing that galaxy when it was just an infant... And one of the first galaxies too...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Oh my God, it's full of... galaxies... full of stars!

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I wonder if there is a galaxy out there that is filled with nothing but socks lost in the dryer.
Anything is possible.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
My God,
it's full of Stars.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

That picture was released in an article on Space.com on May 5th 2015. 13.1 billion light years...

That galaxy is blue, that means it's traveling towards us, so the question would be, "Did the universe start to collapse 13.1 billion years ago?" If the universe was still expanding, that galaxy should be red-shifted. Seems a bit weird...

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Just think , in one of those galaxies there are probably life forms looking at images from a telescope pointed at us . Just sitting there on an internet forum devoted to denying ignorance arguing , is there a god and if so why did he put the flamingos legs on backwards .

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
We, the planet earth, are a simple grain of sand on a beach that goes on forever..

To top it all off, there are people who think that we are the only grain of sand with life.

The universe is beautiful, it would be better for mankind to stay away from it, or we'll only do it
harm, as we do with everything we touch.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
That galaxy is blue, that means it's traveling towards us, so the question would be, "Did the universe start to collapse 13.1 billion years ago?" If the universe was still expanding, that galaxy should be red-shifted. Seems a bit weird...

Cheers - Dave

Actually, all we (that is, us casual observers on ATS) can really say is, "That galaxy looks blue in this image."
Without looking at its spectrum and measuring the position of its Fraunhofer lines, we can't make any judgement about its radial motion towards or away from us (presumably the pros did these measurements and this is how they know it's the furthest galaxy detected thus far). The galaxy may look blue because the stars in it are hot blue stars like Rigel or Deneb. Maybe the color is an artifact from the telescope filters or the image processing. Without detailed information about the image, what is in it, and how it was processed, cosmological assumptions don't have a solid basis.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

Actually, all we (that is, us casual observers on ATS) can really say is, "That galaxy looks blue in this image."
Without looking at its spectrum and measuring the position of its Fraunhofer lines, we can't make any judgement about its radial motion towards or away from us (presumably the pros did these measurements and this is how they know it's the furthest galaxy detected thus far). The galaxy may look blue because the stars in it are hot blue stars like Rigel or Deneb. Maybe the color is an artifact from the telescope filters or the image processing. Without detailed information about the image, what is in it, and how it was processed, cosmological assumptions don't have a solid basis.

I realize that, this just an observation against a tapestry of stars and galaxies of different colours and distances. Even what appear to be white stars can have blue or red shifting. In this case however the amount of blue is extreme and considering all stars are not one singular colour, this is unusual. It could be an artifact or post processing, obviously we don't know and I didn't see a reference to those kinds of errors.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
wow those pictures are truly amazing..
the greatest injustice ever that i am unable to travel through space..
if only i was born 300 years in the future.

top topics

join