It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

'Rocket fuel' toxin from poison mushrooms sickens 10 in Michigan

page: 1
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Here is a warning for those that go hunting for morel mushrooms. Be careful what you pick. You will be sorry if you pick the wrong mushroom.


The toxin produced by false morels is "basically rocket fuel," said Dr. Cynthia Aaron, medical director of the poison center in Detroit. It can cause liver damage and seizures.


Be aware, stay safe.

Link




posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Part of my biology degree was in mycology and I can identify most mushrooms.

And even im wary of picking my own, its so easy to get wrong.

My advice is dont do it unless with a real expert with field experiance.

Dont ever look at a few books or websites and think your a expert.
edit on 16-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Wild mushrooms are always a risk even to those that are "in the know"

I read a book a few years ago and to paraphrase the author said that he had been collecting wild mushrooms in the UK for 40 years. His advice was to read his book, then go out and buy another five books and read them also, after doing so take someone you know hunting and if after al that your not 100% sure then move along.

Deaths are inevitable given the toxicity of some mushrooms so as you say be carefull.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Now is a good time to remind smokers that they're dying of radiation poisoning. Much of what comes out of the ground, will kill you.
edit on 16-5-2015 by Meduzi because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Wild mushrooms are always a risk even to those that are "in the know"

I read a book a few years ago and to paraphrase the author said that he had been collecting wild mushrooms in the UK for 40 years. His advice was to read his book, then go out and buy another five books and read them also, after doing so take someone you know hunting and if after al that your not 100% sure then move along.

Deaths are inevitable given the toxicity of some mushrooms so as you say be carefull.


Pretty much the advice I was taught.

The diffrence between a edible mushroom or a liver killer/ kidney melter can be small and you have to know what to look for
.


Its better actually just tl grow them youself. You can pick up mushroom growing kits online.
Far safer,
edit on 16-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

When eating wild mushrooms. You have put your life in the hands of the person that picked them.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: nonspecific
Wild mushrooms are always a risk even to those that are "in the know"

I read a book a few years ago and to paraphrase the author said that he had been collecting wild mushrooms in the UK for 40 years. His advice was to read his book, then go out and buy another five books and read them also, after doing so take someone you know hunting and if after al that your not 100% sure then move along.

Deaths are inevitable given the toxicity of some mushrooms so as you say be carefull.


Pretty much the advice I was taught.

The diffrence between a edible mushroom or a liver killer/ kidney melter can be small and you have to know what to look for
.


Its better actually just tl grow them youself. You can pick up mushroom growing kits online.
Far safer,


Agreed but it's the same as anything. Theres a big difference between "thinking" and "knowing" what something is.

With wild mushrooms the difference can be very important.

In the UK theres a few you cannot go wrong with, St George's for example. also puffballs are safe as houses if your lucky enough to find one.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: Skid Mark

When eating wild mushrooms. You have put your life in the hands of the person that picked them.



I knew a expert who had been picking for decades # up.

Had to have a liver transplant.


Just get a mushroom growing kits my advice.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: nonspecific
Wild mushrooms are always a risk even to those that are "in the know"

I read a book a few years ago and to paraphrase the author said that he had been collecting wild mushrooms in the UK for 40 years. His advice was to read his book, then go out and buy another five books and read them also, after doing so take someone you know hunting and if after al that your not 100% sure then move along.

Deaths are inevitable given the toxicity of some mushrooms so as you say be carefull.


Pretty much the advice I was taught.

The diffrence between a edible mushroom or a liver killer/ kidney melter can be small and you have to know what to look for
.


Its better actually just tl grow them youself. You can pick up mushroom growing kits online.
Far safer,


Agreed but it's the same as anything. Theres a big difference between "thinking" and "knowing" what something is.

With wild mushrooms the difference can be very important.

In the UK theres a few you cannot go wrong with, St George's for example. also puffballs are safe as houses if your lucky enough to find one.


O there is a whole field of puff balls near me! Or was.

Yeah UK there are a couple easy ones.

Still rule of thumb is its better to get a kit and grow them,
edit on 16-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I agree hundred percent.

I saw a new TV show on called Filthy Riches . They profile mushroom pickers, all I could think while I watched the program. Was ......, watch the poisoning rates spike this summer from people trying to imitate what they see.

It may just be me. But I have a rather simple philosophy on food. " if I don't know if it's safe, I'm not going to eat it".



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Do they have a hole in the middle when ripe? In Russia they're called 'Dyedushka tabak' (Grandfather's tobacco) there are lots around here. Hours of fun for children with sticks!



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

The Wikipedia page for false morels says that many people eat them with no apparent harm.
?



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Part of my biology degree was in mycology and I can identify most mushrooms.

And even im wary of picking my own, its so easy to get wrong.

My advice is dont do it unless with a real expert with field experiance.

Dont ever look at a few books or websites and think your a expert.


Good advice. Thanks.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: Skid Mark

When eating wild mushrooms. You have put your life in the hands of the person that picked them.


So true. I'd rather grow them.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Look for the purple rings on the stems.
That means they are good to eat.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Gotta slice those bad boys open and check out their structure, if you're unsure.

Here's a good guide.



We used to fill glad garbage bags full in the spring in iowa.

Nothing psilly about eatin' the wrong ones.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have false morels in my yard. I know what they look like. There is actually a noticeable difference to real and false morels if you know what you are looking for.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Look for the purple rings on the stems.
That means they are good to eat.


Good to know. Thanks.



posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Thanks a lot for that. I makes identification a whole lot easier.



posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Although some are posting picking tips.

My advice is still don’t

Not unless its a SHTF situation and even then only as a last resort.

Really it only takes one mistake.

with many there is no antidote or going back, your liver and kidneys are destroyed no matter what and you need a transplant.
edit on 17-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join