It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left handers of the ATS community. Stand up and be counted.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I am left handed and the only one out of all my family and extended family. I can do many things right handed only bc I was taught that way since my parents are both right handed.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Total lefty here. I play right-handed guitars upside down, and I have no idea how to play a lefty-strung guitar.

I also have just my left ear gauged, no piercing on the right one. (3/4in.)

I write, eat, throw, and draw/tattoo lefty as well. Granted I'm ambidextrous to an extent, but definitely right-brain-dominant.

Nice thread

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm left handed.

I'm not at all artistic and spiral notebooks suck.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

My dad was also a very valued employee where he worked, doing high-level computer programming, troubleshooting, and the like. So, math and music, he had.

Yeah! My dad, too! He was an engineer (mechanical, electrical, etc) and a pilot. He loved music and played coronet. His mom was a concert pianist (I now have her "home" piano - a small grand). We grew up with math, music, and books.

And my husband, also a lefty, is a computer whiz. Very analytical.

I miss my dad.

Me, too! There was always music in the house, though we didn't have a piano handy after we moved away from his parents' area. He did have a keyboard at one time, though. Books are a MUST in a house, in my opinion. We always had books growing up, and my own have as well. I don't really understand people that don't have books in the house!

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Me, too! There was always music in the house, though we didn't have a piano handy after we moved away from his parents' area. He did have a keyboard at one time, though. Books are a MUST in a house, in my opinion. We always had books growing up, and my own have as well. I don't really understand people that don't have books in the house!

Right?!! NO BOOKS??!!! gah

Books are our history - they are our legacy....
It always made me wonder when I went to people's homes and they had NO BOOKS.
Like - what????????

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Right?!! NO BOOKS??!!! gah

Books are our history - they are our legacy....
It always made me wonder when I went to people's homes and they had NO BOOKS.
Like - what????????

It's like they are drones or something. Body snatchers, maybe? Not to be trusted! Books are vital, and "virtual books" will not do, either! I want the paper ones!

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Books are vital, and "virtual books" will not do, either! I want the paper ones!

Me, too!!!!

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Lefty here too and proud to be in my RIGHT mind

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Ambidextrous, write left hand only. Can switch hands when working with tools. Throw and swing right handed,
Goofy footed (right foot forward) in board riding.

Any Ambies struggle to cut a straight line?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

The school didn't but my grandmother did. I was forced to spend hours upon hours practicing my penmanship with my right hand. Now I am the opposite off ambidextrous. Both of my hands are equally dumb. 2/3s of everyone in my family was left handed.

a reply to: Observationalist
I flunked cutting as a kid. I probably still would flunk since I avoid it.
edit on 5/17/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/17/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Books are vital, and "virtual books" will not do, either! I want the paper ones!

Me, too!!!!

I can't do e-readers. What happens when there is a mass power outage and you can't charge your e-reader? I prefer not to find out.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I think that most lefties become ambidextrous because they adapt over time to a right handed world.
I'm a lefty and I can do much more with my right hand than most righties can with their left. We're kind of forced into it. .

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I just realised that as a left hander when I write I twist the paper sideways and write downwards.

When at school we had to learn to write with a fountain (ink) pen and it was the only way I could write without smudging the ink as my hand followed the pen.

The teachers used to get annoyed with me for not having my paper nice and straight.

Even at 6 years old I could see that the strightness of the paper in relation to the desk was less of an issue than smearing ink all over my hand and paper but that's teachers for you I suppose.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I'm the only one in my family too. 15 kids from my dad and his 4 brothers and another two from my mother's sister and I'm the only one. None of my kids and none of my nieces and nephews are left handed either. If it runs in families it must skip generations . Either that or I was adopted and someplace out there is a family of left handers missing one of their own.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I got lucky in that I started school just as this practice came to an end. I even had two teachers that showed me easier ways to accomplish school work. My handwriting is very neat and pretty but if you watch me write, the paper is turned sideways so the top is on the left side and it appears like I'm writing up the page. Some lefties turn their hand and hold pencils upside down. Others like me are rare and turn the paper. If I get a pad with the spiral on the top of the page I have to turn the whole pad upside down to write in it.
I studied stenography (short hand) before that skill became obsolete and my teacher showed me how to write without the spiral biting into my hand.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

They actually make left hand nibs for fountain pens. I write up the page . You write down?
I could not get a fountain pen to work properly until I bought the left hand nib. (My parents were not happy that I needed a ten dollar pen in high school)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

They actually make left hand nibs for fountain pens. I write up the page . You write down?
I could not get a fountain pen to work properly until I bought the left hand nib. (My parents were not happy that I needed a ten dollar pen in high school)

Yes I write stright towards myself!

I cannot use a fountain pen unless I spend a good while writing scatchy nonsense until the nib wears down to my writing. if I use a right handed persons pen it screws it up.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Lefties of the world UNTIE.
Was born a lefty and will always be so.

When I was in school, probably grade 1 or two, I had a teacher who would crack me on the hand with a ruler if I tried to write with my left hand. One day, after school, I was eating supper with the family and my dad noticed my red knuckles. He asked what happened and I told him.
He walked me to school the next morning and confronted the teacher. He told her that if I ever came home from school with red knuckles for writing lefty, he would come back and smack her knuckles. I never got hit again but this teacher stopped trying to teach me proper penmanship. She would also dock me marks for nearness when I smudged the paper.

Remember: There are a lot more of us lefties around since they quit burning us as witches.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Scissors are tough. We're trying to cut with the blade on the bottom instead of the top and if we turn the scissors like I do our fingers get stuck. Love can openers too. I can't get a manual one to last a year. I use an electric can opener and pray the power doesn't ever go out.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon
Ut oh I hate to be that know it all but a woman is born with all the eggs she will ever have. They don't develope over time however they mature at different rates. Women over forty release multiple eggs sometimes which is why twins occur more frequently in older mothers but this has nothing to do with being left handed or causing left handedness as I think you realise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join