It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left handers of the ATS community. Stand up and be counted.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I just saw one of those random 20 facts about left handers tinternet links and had a click, it's Here.

I do not know how much is actually true and numbers are just numbers at the end of the day.

As a Lefty I thought it might be time to look at who picked the wrong team as it were.

A couple of interesting ones for those that can't be bothered to click.

"Almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties."

" Of the 7 most recent US presidents, 4 have been left handed"

"The word left in English comes from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, which means weak or broken"

Although predominantly left handed I am pretty much ambidextrous.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

8. At various times in history, left-handedness has been seen as many things: a nasty habit, a mark of the devil, a sign of neurosis, rebellion, criminality, and homosexuality. It has also been seen as a trait indicating creativity and musical abilities.

True. I've seen many left handed folks that were far more inclined in music than their right handed counterparts.

16. Studies have shown that if a left-hander injures his dominant hand, he has an easier time learning to use the other hand than his right-handed counterparts.

True. I'm ambidextrous.

18. Left-handedness runs in families. Lefties in the British Royal Family include the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William.

False. I'm the only one in my immediate and extended family who is left handed.

As far as the others, I have no idea about any of the statistic based facts. I do know that being left handed definitely has its struggles!

edit on 5/16/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm a south paw, and proud of it. Also ambidextrous.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Left handedness is genetic, so it did run in families. Depending on how old your folks are, they may have had the left handedness taught out of them as they grew up. They did weird things in schools to lefties back in the day.

My wife and I are both right handed, but our son favors his left hand. We each have left handed family members.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Did you know that the word "sinister" has to do with the left side? See definition 4A.
Sinister

My mom was born left handed. Now she's ambidextrous because when she was in school the teachers would slap her hand if she used the left instead of the right. I guess that's how they taught school back then.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

That's true. It is genetic. My mom is left handed and so is my brother.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Skid Mark

Well I just recently discovered I'm born left handed but was forced to write in the right in the past.

Right now I am practicing learning how to write with my left, and while it is not so good I'm slowly improving.
edit on 16-5-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Did you know that the word "sinister" has to do with the left side? See definition 4A.
Sinister

My mom was born left handed. Now she's ambidextrous because when she was in school the teachers would slap her hand if she used the left instead of the right. I guess that's how they taught school back then.

I did know that yes but I imagine that many did not.

Ambisinister is the term for usless with both hands.

I broke my left wrist twice and found it easy to adapt to writing with my right hand.

I can also write forwards with my left hand and backwards with my right in mirror at the same time. I get a little out of practice but half an hour and I'm back to pretty good.
edit on 16/5/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

That's true. It is genetic. My mom is left handed and so is my brother.

I'm the only person in immidiate family including my son that is left handed, I eat right handed though and also play pool that way?

Maybe i'm just a little odd.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Left handed writer here. I do different stuff with different hands (It finally dawned on me how my body split up the duties and it blew me away) but, since I hold my writing stuff in my left hand, I'm "left handed".

As far as hereditary, my brother was left handed but was taught to not use it in school.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Being lefthanded myself I am a tiny bit concerned by your Anglo Saxon root word lyft. It sounds too much like lifter, ie, shirt lifter.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Like redheads left handed people should not be trusted!!

Just playing my beautiful wife has both.

edit on 16-5-2015 by thesaneone because: Spelling

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Being lefthanded myself I am a tiny bit concerned by your Anglo Saxon root word lyft. It sounds too much like lifter, ie, shirt lifter.

Does your left hand have a tendancy to droop?

Does it naturally find it's way to your hip?

On a side note I remember reading that the term shoplifter came from a time when market traders would have tents to protect there merchandise and thieves would literally lift the back of the shop in oder to steal.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Blimey, first you come up with "we might be on the other bus" and now you say we're tea leaves. When will it end.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Blimey, first you come up with "we might be on the other bus" and now you say we're tea leaves. When will it end.

Sinister shirt lifting shoplifters?

It does nor bode well for us does it, no wonder 4 of the last 7 US presidents was one of us.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am left-handed (though I do many things right-handed). My father was a lefty, and one of my two brothers is a lefty, though none of my three sons are left-handed (number three is still a toddler, and he uses both hands for many things, so the jury's out on him).

As for ambidexterity, I primarily throw righty, bat righty, can write with either hand (though I am most comfortable left-handed, and my right-handed writing tends to be neater) and I can catch with either hand as well.

When it comes to extended family (cousins, etc.), I don't know of any lefties.

I haven't read the link in the OP, though I have read many articles on left-handedness, and in my opinion, even among lefties, there are vast differences between people.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hand-Preference is a Social-Construct...free your mind from the oppressive Right-Handers

It's called Mano-Science my new area of expertise....I'm pushing to get it introduced into the school curriculums.

We can brainwash, er, I mean teach school-kids to accept Mano-Nuetrality and eventually brainwash all the Hate out of everyone

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I am "leftie". Although, like you, i am mostly ambidextrous. But fine motor things like writing I tend to do better with the left hand. I have tried a little painting in my life, but do that better right handed (but can do it pretty good both ways, depending on what you call "pretty good").

I throw right handed. My left wrist is smaller, but my right arm is stronger. Typically your dominant hand is a bit thinner and stronger both.

I can use a mouse with either hand, but only if the buttons don't switch when its moved to left hand use (right click has to always be right click, not middle finger click).

In my house, there are 3 lefties to 1 righty.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Left handed writer here. I do different stuff with different hands (It finally dawned on me how my body split up the duties and it blew me away) but, since I hold my writing stuff in my left hand, I'm "left handed".

As far as hereditary, my brother was left handed but was taught to not use it in school.

when i was a kid one of my teachers in first grade/kindergarten tried to make me stop using my left hand. Religious lunacy....she didn't want me to end up in Satans army or some such nonsense.

My grandmother was a touch crazy, too. And left handed. So when she got wind of them trying to change my writing hand, grandma took her crazy up to school. I think they let me write left handed just so she wouldn't go back up there again.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I am "leftie". Although, like you, i am mostly ambidextrous. But fine motor things like writing I tend to do better with the left hand. I have tried a little painting in my life, but do that better right handed (but can do it pretty good both ways, depending on what you call "pretty good").

I throw right handed. My left wrist is smaller, but my right arm is stronger. Typically your dominant hand is a bit thinner and stronger both.

I can use a mouse with either hand, but only if the buttons don't switch when its moved to left hand use (right click has to always be right click, not middle finger click).

In my house, there are 3 lefties to 1 righty.

Apart from writing and eating I am pretty ambidextrous neutral. I kick better with my left foot and play pool better right handed.

I find it is most handy when using power tools or decorating, I can cut in paintwork equally well with either hand and it's the same for tools like jigsaws( I am actually better with my left hand but favour my right because it's almost impossible to find a left handed jigsaw in the UK.

I often find that right handed people tend to treat there left hand as a clumsy holdy thing as oppsosed to another fine apendage with many uses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join