It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Osborne plans new Budget on 8 July .... Prepare for pain.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Four months after his last budget Osborne will show the nation just where the money is coming from for all the uncosted pledges his party made during the election and how they plan to reduce the deficit now they don't have the Lib Dems holding them back.

He admitted it was "unusual" to have two Budgets in the same year, but said he wanted to turn "promises made in the election into a reality".
Labour said the chancellor would have to set out "who is going to pay" for what it called "uncosted promises" in the election campaign.
The last Budget was held on 18 March and included tax cuts for first-time house buyers.
Although his article does not specifically outline how the Conservatives plan to fulfil a pledge to cut £12bn in welfare spending, Mr Osborne says he wants to make the welfare system "fair for the people who pay for it".
www.bbc.co.uk...

Thanks for helping the Tories get back into power Scotland ... really appreciate that

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Even if Labour won every seat in Scotland the Tories would have still had a majority so blaming Scotland is nonsense.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Here's the grist of what he's saying:

Mr Osborne did not specifically outline how the Conservatives plan to fulfil a pledge to cut £12bn in welfare spending but said he wants to make the welfare system "fair for the people who pay for it".
'Tax avoidance'

He writes: "We will protect the NHS and give it more funding each and every year, while making savings across Whitehall.

"We'll crack down hard on tax avoidance and aggressive tax planning by the rich - because everyone should pay their fair share.

"We will always protect the most vulnerable, but we also need a welfare system that's fair to the people who pay for it. If you can work you should be working, so we'll take the next steps in our benefit reforms to make sure that happens.

"Second, we've got to go on helping businesses create jobs in Britain, so we move towards full employment. That means facing a hard truth: in Britain we produce about a quarter less for every hour we work than countries like America or Germany. Fixing that long-running productivity weakness is the big challenge for the next five years.

"So in the Budget we'll spend less on welfare, and instead invest to create three million more apprenticeships, so that young people can learn a trade, get better jobs and earn more."
www.bbc.co.uk...

After all these years, I'm too Toried-out to take much of what he ever says on face value. I mean, how can he 'crack down hard on tax avoidance' when it's totally fricking legal? Who's he BSing there? Will he be 'protecting the NHS' with more major deals with private companies?

I'm all for '3 million apprenticeships' as long as there will be 3 million jobs for them to go to. One minute politicians say they'll 'create more jobs' and the next they're saying it's not their 'responsibility to create jobs' so I'm buggered if I know how he's gonna ensure the apprentices get jobs. TBH, I'm not wholly sure that there'll be enough businesses to even sustain training 3 million people.

It's 3 million on top of the thousands already in existence...

As for protecting the 'most vulnerable?' We could argue over what the f*** that even means all day. Does he mean families beneath the poverty line? Does he mean those sorry hedge-fund dudes threatening to quit this country if they have to pay taxes? Does he mean the 'moral majority' who are 'vulnerable' in the face of internet privacy, net neutrality and 'terrorists' on Twitter??

This is the way with politicians isn't it? They've buggered the language to such an extent that it's no longer plain English; it's just some gobbledegook BS designed to deceive. Smarmy bastards across the boards.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: welshreduk

so blaming Scotland is nonsense

I got to blame someone and the Scots are used to it , I also blame anyone who voted Tory in England.
Five more years of elitist Tory rule ... vive la revolution.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I agree mate , however you cut it we will suffer and those at the top will benefit ... that's what the Tories are for isn't it ?
What ever will be will be , we're locked in for the next five years so we can either grin and bear it or do as our continental cousins do and take to the streets .... as we're British I guess the majority will just grin and bear it .

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

as we're British I guess the majority will just grin and bear it .

Awww, thats the Austere spirit…

…frog pond temperature jumps another degree.

Not judging you, just how masterful the elite are at getting everyone to go along with their machinations.

Sun Tsu would be proud.
edit on 16-5-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is not a surprise! Elect a government with a majority that failed to elaborate in anyway their plans other than to state there will be cuts is both stupid and niaive. Its going to be painful for more than 50% of the population meanwhile 30% of the population will double their wealth for a 2nd 5 years. Sick, immoral, downright selfish and greedy.
You reap what you sow you wannabee nobody voting tories!!
A million using food banks will be 2m by end of this 5 year term.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
, I also blame anyone who voted Tory in England.

Well I certainly wasn't going to vote those Labour scum back in.

Dont blame me blame labour for:
Not regulating the banks
Starting two wars
#ing immigration up
Handing our sovereignty over to the US and EU
Bad infrastructure planning.
Not offering me a voice in a EU referendum.

For someone in the middle class they certainly dont sound appealing.
edit on 16-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Dont blame me blame labour for:
Not regulating the banks

Banks are regulated plus Britain is a major financial hub over-regulation of the industry could jeopardise that , I don't think anyone expected the banks to turn out just as crooked as they did.

Starting two wars

Dragged into two wars by an over eager PM , let's not forget Cameron was all for bombing Syria and did take action against Libya ... that turned out well.

#ing immigration up

Yeah they did do that.

Handing our sovereignty over to the US and EU

Governments have been doing that for decades , I remember in the 80s we were Americas biggest aircraft carrier.

Not offering me a voice in a EU referendum.

I agree we do deserve a say on membership given how the project has changed over the years.

For someone in the middle class they certainly dont sound appealing

There is a chance that some in the middle class may end up regretting their decision nearly as much as the rest of the population.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Well we will see.

I voted based on my local MP anyway as she has been pretty good for a politician and Ironically from a humble background.
The labour candidate was public school boy who works in London finance...... go figure eh?

also what nailed it was Tracy Crouch the MP who I voted for defied the party whip on tuition fees by abstaining and voted against the Syria war. A politician that has balls to stand up to the party when they clearly going the wrong way is a gem that needs keeping.

Just don't call all us conservative voters scum as some of us had some very unappealing labour candidate standing.
And there are some good conservative mps out there too on the back benches.

I like to differentiate between Tory and Conservative. Tory being the toff we all hate and conservatives like me that just like a a bit more responsibility in government.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Britain is conservative, with a small c and hate change.

I will hold judgement on the E.U referendum until a date has been set.

The Tories wanted less regulation before the crash and supported everything the Labour Government did on financial regulation.

I remember when the banking crash happened, the Toreis did not have a clue on what they would have done to stop the people of Britain losing their savings, but eh, I see they are regulating them just fine now. Also Osborne was the only public figure to go to the European Court to fight the E.U's plan to cap bankers bonuses, so your argument on regulation is somewhat skewed.

It doesn't matter anyway which party is in, because ultimately all decisions made in Westminster has the City in the forefront of their thinking. Control the money and all that.

The Tories supported the wars as well, only the Lib Dems were against going into Iraq. So, again your argument is slightly skewed.

But then again, a week in politics is a long time, let alone 10+ years ago.

edit on 16/5/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Just because I voted for my local Conservative MP does not make me me a fan of Osborne or the likes of May or IDS.

Just means:
1) I really really dont trust labour
2) Really want a EU referendum
and most importantly
3) Did not like the local labour candidate standing.

If you want my vote for labour earn it.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Thanks for helping the Tories get back into power Scotland ... really appreciate that

No thank you Labour for being so just like the Tories. Your maths isn't very good is it. If every single Scottish seat had been won by Labour THE TORIES WOULD STILL HAVE A MAJORITY

Stop blaming the Scots (and the people who live in Scotland). The fault lies with the English , they voted Tory DUH!!!!!

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Stop blaming the Scots (and the people who live in Scotland). The fault lies with the English , they voted Tory DUH!!!!!

Scotland ditching Labour en masse for the SNP plus Nicola Sturgeon stirring the pot all played into the hands of the Tory fear machine narrative of the tail wagging the dog the Tories were peddling , I don't wholly blame the Scots but they played their part.

Sturgeon must be happy as larry with a Tory government to battle against.

edit on 16-5-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Scottish voters should have voted differently because some English voters are easily manipulated? ???
Crazeywok is certainly right about one thing that if more voters actually voted based on who they want to represent their constituency we would gave a much healthier democratic system.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Within the next 91 days, a law will be passed to insure Income Tax and National Health Contributions will not be increased within the life time of this Parliament.

Let's see if this pledge is kept.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well, the £12 billion saving in welfare will come from a budget of £220+ billion. Probably make the saving by keeping rises below inflation and introducing more means testing, such as with child benefit, so those with lower earnings are not impacted.

Apart from the exactitudes of the £12 billion, the rest was fairly detailed in the manifesto. I think the budget will focus on business, the “Northern” powerhouse, the NHS, and tax avoidance from the corporate.

The Tories may even confound the critics.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Four months after his last budget Osborne will show the nation just where the money is coming from for all the uncosted pledges his party made during the election and how they plan to reduce the deficit now they don't have the Lib Dems holding them back.

He admitted it was "unusual" to have two Budgets in the same year, but said he wanted to turn "promises made in the election into a reality".
Labour said the chancellor would have to set out "who is going to pay" for what it called "uncosted promises" in the election campaign.
The last Budget was held on 18 March and included tax cuts for first-time house buyers.
Although his article does not specifically outline how the Conservatives plan to fulfil a pledge to cut £12bn in welfare spending, Mr Osborne says he wants to make the welfare system "fair for the people who pay for it".
www.bbc.co.uk...

Has anyone noticed how his nose just get's bigger from one budget to the other with the porkies he tells....er, well I think that's what's doing it!

To add, Cameron/Osborne will have their work cut out come this out-of-time budget, the first thing is a review of the military spending is due now..belated in fact, while Cameron is adamant on maintaining a 2% of GDP on the military, which actually means more than before, so where is Osborne going to get the shinola for that? On the face of it then, they are at odds. With all the independants up in Scotland, and at least 30 conservative MPs pushing for more spending on defense, he daren't touch Trident, yet any cuts are supposed to be all inclusive, but they won't. If you have 30 own members voting against cuts, that brings down the majority to 301 as against 349 of all others. If Labour garnered enough support to maintain or increase military spending, then they would need 88 of all others to make a 320 majority, and leaving 25 others to piss about. Okay you could argue that it would never happen, but then these are novel times, and everyone bar none in parliament has the begging bowl out. Now, if Osborne does not mention defense cuts in this budget, kick him into touch, because he will be lying through his enlarged proboscis, and that the defense review has not yet taken place.

edit on 16-5-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
our arse hole in Canberra has already told us that, First budgets after 2nd win always are painful

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I got to blame someone and the Scots are used to it , I also blame anyone who voted Tory in England.
Five more years of elitist Tory rule ... vive la revolution.

Scotland didn't help the Tories get into power, the stupid English voted them in. The Scots showed Westminster that they are all totally fed up with all their crappola. Maybe if the English had a decent nationalisit party or were able to vote SNP then the rest of the country would not be faced with years of Tory domination. And Labour??? They are just Tories in red coats.

Saying you have to blame someone and the Scots are used to it is incredibly ignorant and the exact type of attitude that makes the Scots want to stick two fingers up to the English and vote SNP. That was a very inflametory statement, had you been so keen to make a similar statement against a race or religious group of people 'because they are used to it' you would have been flamed from here to oblivion. Shame on you!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join