It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's ex-leader Mohammed Morsi sentenced to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
News just breaking that Muslim Brotherhood and former Egyptian leader Morsi has been sentenced to death in relation to a mass prison break in 2011, the sentence has to be approved the Grand Mufti and is subject to appeal , he is already serving 20 years for the arrest and torture of protesters.
If the sentence is approved I see more trouble ahead for Egypt although given his state of health it may not come to that.

Morsi's supporters have said that the cases against him are politically motivated and attempts to give legal cover to a coup, while Morsi has rejected the authority of the courts.
Morsi was Egypt's first freely elected president, but protests began building less than a year into his rule when he issued a decree granting himself far-reaching powers.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
News just breaking that Muslim Brotherhood and former Egyptian leader Morsi has been sentenced to death in relation to a mass prison break in 2011, the sentence has to be approved the Grand Mufti and is subject to appeal , he is already serving 20 years for the arrest and torture of protesters.
If the sentence is approved I see more trouble ahead for Egypt although given his state of health it may not come to that.

Morsi's supporters have said that the cases against him are politically motivated and attempts to give legal cover to a coup, while Morsi has rejected the authority of the courts.
Morsi was Egypt's first freely elected president, but protests began building less than a year into his rule when he issued a decree granting himself far-reaching powers.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, I just saw this (here's another link). This is ridiculous. I think people have already forgotten that this current regime killed more than 1,000 protesters during the coup and has already sentenced hundreds more to death. Morsi definitely had his faults, but he was democratically elected & his "controversial" constitution was voted on & approved by the majority of voters.

The irony is that I was a month away from going to Egypt when the military coup happened. But I couldn't imagine going there now (sorry Luxor
). Officially, that government's been waging a campaign against the Muslim brotherhood, ISIS in Libya, and other groups. But in truth, it's more of a fear campaign like the "War on Terrorism" that's designed to keep the public distracted from the economic catastrophe there.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
They have to execute him. His only crime was being elected by a majority vote. Wheres the cry for humanitarian intervention here? Aren't democratic standards of free elections being equally applied to all nations?

Hey UN, where is the mandate to begin bombing the Egyptian Regime?

Oh, its a US ally, nvm.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Granting yourself far reaching power after being elected. ...is that the same as having a pen and a phone and not being afraid to use them?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It would appear that some of these judges just paid with their lives.
Death for Morsi: 3 judges, driver killed in Egypt attack

The shooting happened hours after a Cairo court sentenced deposed President Mohammed Morsi and over 100 other Islamists to death over mass prison breaks during the 2011 uprising.

This just happened and the few other articles I found were graphic so I'll leave it to others to search them out rather than link them here.

new topics

top topics

join