It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call it 'gender fluidity': Schools to teach kids there's no such thing as boys or girls

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I hadn't ever thought much about gender socialization until I was in grad school. We had many people of various gender identities and I came to know and understand and care about these people and suddenly it hit me: gender is a social construct. Who says having a certain set of sexual characteristics makes you this, this and this? Who? Everybody? WHY? Who cares? Seriously, who cares? Why do you care about this? Boys play with Barbies and girls play with trucks, so what? Really. So WHAT?

This change in educational messaging could save a life. If even one confused kid who is trying to figure them self out has the validation that will keep bullies away, then how on earth could that hurt anyone else?

The answer is: it can't.

This is just truth telling amid a whole lot of lies that cause irreparable harm.

I'm glad some woman got sick of her corset and skirts and went through a bunch of nonsense when she decided she preferred pants. Now no one cares about women wearing pants.

And you know what? Nothing bad happened. People just stopped freaking out about something that made zero difference to them.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: new_here
That would be transgendered, not homosexual.

I know, that's what this thread is about.

link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: ketsuko

Did you choose to be straight?

My sister went from straight to gay and back to straight.

So at some point, she must have made some choices.
I would say she is bisexual. Especially if she had stable relationships with both sexes. Though, she may be more straight then bi. It is a spectrum, look at gender related research. You just proved gender fluidity. Congrats!

I also proved you can choose your orientation as she had to choose which way she was batting that month.

But this has nothing to do with who goes into what bathroom as I thought the ideas of sexual orientation and gender identity are two separate ones.

Are you claiming that while she was thinking she was a lesbian, she was also thinking she was a man trapped in a woman's body?

link   

That would be transgendered, not homosexual.

You had to ruin the lovely thing she said, didn't you? You are just grumpy.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I think you misread that section of my comment.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zuzusmom

No, I'm sorry. Gender is not a completely social construct.

link   

originally posted by: reldra

Did you choose to be straight?

My sister went from straight to gay and back to straight.

So at some point, she must have made some choices.
I would say she is bisexual. Especially if she had stable relationships with both sexes. Though, she may be more straight then bi. It is a spectrum, look at gender related research. You just proved gender fluidity. Congrats!

I also proved you can choose your orientation as she had to choose which way she was batting that month.

But this has nothing to do with who goes into what bathroom as I thought the ideas of sexual orientation and gender identity are two separate ones.

Are you claiming that while she was thinking she was a lesbian, she was also thinking she was a man trapped in a woman's body?
I am not claiming that. I am claiming that she is somewhere in the spectrum between straight and homosexual. I do not know what part of the spectrum. I did not comment on her body whatsoever.

link   

You do realize that being bisexual is the sexual orientation. If her daughter was indeed bisexual, she didn't then choose to be heterosexual simply by dating a boy.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The thread seems a bit confused.

There is biological gender = male /female

even extremely rare hermaphrodites and those of under influenced Y chromosome type gender dysfunction are mostly biologically leaning towards either male or female physically.

Biological gender ie. male /female is a fact, Biology recognizes this, even the most contemporary, advanced biology would agree that it is fact.

Gender identity is another issue and isn't of any precedence over biological fact, even if they have surgery, inside they are either male /female, by genetic design.

It is the biological fact that is being denied that is the issue.

It isn't about being horrible to those that are confused about their sexuality or their bodies or suffering from mind issues, or gender neutral toys, it is about denial of the most fundamental facts of human biology.

Therefore calling names to those that are educated to known the facts is puerile and rather vile. There are gender specific bathrooms because males and females (despite those that obviously hate the idea) are by nature attracted to each other. There is such a thing as males and females, biologically and genetically arranged as such and denial of that is ludicrous.

It is far more constructive to nurture children to accept their bodies and adolescent feelings instead of making them insecure about their bodies and minds, and questioning their very identity. There is no such thing as gender fluidity.

It also should be said that 99+% of the world believe humanity as either male or female, thankfully.

www.psychlotron.org.uk...

How do biopsychologists explain gender development?
Biological psychology regards gender identity and role as arising from biological processes. Gender
differences are seen as resulting from sex differences. In other words, women and men act, think
and feel differently because of differences in how their brains work. These brain differences may
result from chromosomal differences and may also be the result of hormonal differences.

Women and men are chromosomally different. Women have two X chromosomes (XX), whereas
men have an X and a Y chromosome (XY). In the period following conception, female and male
embryos are indistinguishable apart from their chromosomes. However, the Y chromosome in
males starts to promote the production of testosterone and other androgens (male sex hormones).

These androgens cause the male to develop testes and a penis instead of ovaries and a uterus. The
androgens also cause the male brain to develop differently from the female. A biopsychologist
would argue that it is these differences in brain development, and the differences in brain activity
caused by the secretion of androgens in adulthood, that cause men to behave differently from
women (e.g. acting more aggressively).

Some people are conceived with an atypical chromosomal pattern. People with Klinefelter’s
syndrome (XXY) are biologically male but have an extra X chromosome. This causes physical
effects including underdeveloped genitals and a lack of body hair, and psychological effects
including poor language skills and a passive temperament. People with Turner’s syndrome (XO)
are biologically female but have one X chromosome missing. Physically the effects of this are a
short body and distinctive webbing at the neck. Psychologically, people with Turner’s syndrome
often have poor spatial and mathematical skills.

Women and men produce different sex hormones in varying quantities. Besides affecting the
functioning of various bodily organs (e.g. causing the menstrual cycle in women) these sex
hormones appear to have an effect on behaviour. Testosterone, which is produced in greater
quantities by men, affects several types of behaviour, some of which are regarded as ‘typically
male’. For example, Dabbs et al (1995) found that violent offenders had higher testosterone levels
than non-violent offenders and Coates et al (2008) found that financial traders with higher
testosterone levels took greater risks. Women have higher levels of oxytocin than men. Some
researchers have linked this to increased sociability. Oxytocin seems to affect the formation of
bonds and attachments between people and Klaver et al (2009) found that higher levels of oxytocin
are linked to improved memory for faces.

edit on 16-5-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I think you misread that section of my comment.

My apologies. Sorry.

link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

You do realize that being bisexual is the sexual orientation. If her daughter was indeed bisexual, she didn't then choose to be heterosexual simply by dating a boy.

Assuming she was actually bi to begin with and not just experimenting since her only female affair was extremely short-lived and came at a time in her life when everything was running off the rails for her.

As soon as things stabilized, she was no longer bi-curious, either and has had a very stable relationship ever since.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

As soon as things stabilized, she was no longer bi-curious, either and has had a very stable relationship ever since.

Like very many homosexual couples, you mean?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

This is a thread about gender fluidity, not sexual fluidity. Her sexual orientation would be sexual fluidity. It has never been in doubt that she identifies as female which is her gender. Her gender is not fluid at all.

She does not think she might be more male than female or anything like that.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

What are you talking about? I don't live in California, occupied or otherwise. And how should I know differently than what I see of your posts after all these years which is hatred of anything Left.

Oh sorry my mistake, I didn't see your location, I assumed Kali meant you're from California. Impossible, I rarely post in political threads, I spend most of the time in Space Exploration, Science & Technology and The World War 3 forum.

I will admit though that lately I have posted a lot in Political threads, I don't know why. Anyway, I could care less what your opinion is about my beliefs. It's all an endless merry go round of whining at the end of the day. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zuzusmom
I hadn't ever thought much about gender socialization until I was in grad school. We had many people of various gender identities and I came to know and understand and care about these people and suddenly it hit me: gender is a social construct. Who says having a certain set of sexual characteristics makes you this, this and this? Who? Everybody? WHY? Who cares? Seriously, who cares? Why do you care about this? Boys play with Barbies and girls play with trucks, so what? Really. So WHAT?

This change in educational messaging could save a life. If even one confused kid who is trying to figure them self out has the validation that will keep bullies away, then how on earth could that hurt anyone else?

The answer is: it can't.

This is just truth telling amid a whole lot of lies that cause irreparable harm.

I'm glad some woman got sick of her corset and skirts and went through a bunch of nonsense when she decided she preferred pants. Now no one cares about women wearing pants.

And you know what? Nothing bad happened. People just stopped freaking out about something that made zero difference to them.
clapping
edit on 16-5-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I'm not saying that she was definitely bisexual. If she is at all still attracted to the same gender, whilst also being attracted to the opposite, then she is. Of course, we can speculate on her sexuality all we want. The fact you're missing is that there is a spectrum in the matter.

I know women who find even the thought of kissing another woman to be revolting, and they wouldn't even do it for a Million dollars (their words). I also know women who are not in the least bit ashamed to say that they would readily make out with that girl in the bar because they find them attractive (yet they are straight). I know women who are exclusively Homosexual as well.

It's all based on spectrum to some degree. That spectrum exists because it is based on biological properties.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra Disease? Decay? What is wrong with YOU?

I think you might want to ask yourself that question, because that is all you ever respond to people here with most of the time. Try having a discussion instead freaking out about opinions that don't fall in line with yours. Calm down and get a grip already.

Do you not watch the News, do you not browse the internet, are you blind? Yes, Disease and moral decay, like the fall of the Roman Empire. I'll throw in political corruption and too many wars being fought abroad as well. History can be a great teacher, Read up on it some time. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

Do you not watch the News, do you not browse the internet, are you blind? Yes, Disease and moral decay, like the fall of the Roman Empire.

Since before, and after. That "decay" has always been present.
Do you stop to consider that the "News" is out to sell advertising? That good news doesn't really sell?
How is a couple in love (no matter their gender) depraved?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147 WARNING TMI!!!

I would readily kiss another female, or interact with her breasts especially for the enjoyment of a male S/0. However, the thought of 'female bits down below' though I own them myself, I am not going there. But I can say, from the first sentence, on the spectrum I would fall at 4.5 or 4 out of 5 for being straight.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Like very many homosexual couples, you mean?

Then they chose to be straight for a time, just like she chose to try out being homosexual. You can apparently still choose to have an orientation. Just because they decide to settle out gay doesn't change that.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join