It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel sad. Three trees gone.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
When I moved into this place on a hill, there were 3 small Japanese Maple trees. They were wonderful, and the splendid view wasn't blocked by them.

Years passed, and they began to block the view, but not entirely.

These maple trees, once they reach mature status, have the ability to get way bigger in just one season. And that's what these 3 trees did in my small yard. The last few years I struggled to keep them from killing other plants when they blocked the sun, and when they grew over the fence above the road, I tried to keep them from interfering with sight-lines for traffic.

13 years after my arrival here, they covered my yard in a magnificent canopy. I struggled with the decision as to whether to have them cut down or not. A large fur tree was being covered in darkness and was dying, and so I made the decision to bring in the men with chainsaws, and the dirty deed was done.

I feel lots of guilt about my decision. Trees are a very special thing. Today, 2 days after, I watered the garden, and noticed a moisture on the 3 tree stumps on a day where everything is dry. That moisture looked like blood to me.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I love Japanese Maples and am sorry you had to cut them down. My own yard is an overgrown monster and has been since we bought it but cutting down any trees feels like murder. Yes, I am fully aware of how outrageously ridiculous I sound saying that.

Have you got a picture your willing to share of the Japanese Maples?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

Yes, it was murder.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
So three trees, not one, not two, but all three....Hmmm

Don't feel guilty, things sometimes has to change

edit on 16-5-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Yes, I agree, they are very cool trees.

Maybe you could thin em' out a bit next time?
It's probably just sap traveling up from the roots though.

There is only one thing left to do if you have to cut down 3 trees...

Plant 6 more and watch em' grow

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I live right next to one of Copenhagen biggest graveyards, my favorite place of all places in Copenhagen to get my mind down to Earth.

This was what i would see when entering the grave yard.

This is what i saw when entering this spring.

Still a beautiful place in other ways.

edit on 16-5-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Yes, it feels like murder.
Try to think of it as providing some excellent wood to a woodworker who will appreciate it.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Oh I so do love a topic when I can use this again:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
I live right next to one of Copenhagen biggest graveyards, my favorite place of all places in Copenhagen to get my mind down to Earth.

This was what i would see when entering the grave yard.

This is what i saw when entering this spring.

Still a beautiful place in other ways.

Wow, that is sad.
What was their reasoning behind that decision?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Old trees, they are a danger to the public, it has to be said that they did plant new ones, though it will take many many years for them to grow the same size and have the same beauty.

The sad thing is not the trees, it is the beauty that was lost, sad but in a way justified and replaced with new growth, but i won't be able to see the beauty in my lifetime, it just feels empty when going there.

Though the graveyard is huge and have some of the most amazing trees growing there.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Why did you not coppice them?
Did the trees really have to be killed?
There are lovely Chestnuts bordering my property, they are kept under control every year or so without needing to kill them.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm literally a tree hugger, I've hugged trees lol. I know it's irrational. I feel angry and sad when a healthy tree gets cut down. OP is obviously not a bad person, I just wish people would be more thoughtful of what trees they plant and where, how big is tree going to get etc...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
I just wish people would be more thoughtful of what trees they plant and where, how big is tree going to get etc...
Agreed. I have a ten year old English oak in a pot which I planted as an acorn with the ashes of my late father.
I am waiting until I have bought some land big enough to accommodate a mature oak for a good hundred years or so...not too long to wait now thankfully.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If you would have pruned them you could have kept them from growing so big. They bush out when pruned. Did you have to cut all three down?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I feel u
edit on 16-5-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
We have an old redbud in our yard that needs to go. There is also an elm that needs to be topped in the back.

We also have a sweet gum. It's beautiful and healthy, but the sweet gum pods are nasty to clean up every year. Husband calls them devil balls.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I think that's an awesome way to honor a loved one.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
That is sad. I love trees, In every place I have lived I bond with and name at least one. Leaving each one behind when I leave kind of bums me out. Where I live now there is a warped tree with leaves the color of my birthstone (peridot), he is just marvelous. We are surrounded by trees, but he is the only one I named. When Sandy hit it took down many of the surrounding trees, but he stood tall, barely weathered at all.

Growing up The giving tree was my favorite book, now I read it to my kids. It shows just how much trees do for us, we really do take them for granted. You appear to feel guilt, maybe some time spent with the stumps will bring you and them closure.

They are living creatures, they deserve a bit more reverence than they receive, but like all living creatures they cannot live forever. It is okay to forgive yourself.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: mtnshredder

Old trees, they are a danger to the public,

Uh ok. If that isn't a twist of irony I don't know what is. It's usually the other way around.

top topics

join