It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad Cow Disease in Bread and Cereal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Misfolded proteins called prions cause Mad Cow disease. Urine and feces from infected animals contain prions, contaminate the soil, and infect plants, which can infect whatever or whomever eats said plants.

FYI - Grass plants like wheat are used to make bread and cereals.

GRASS PLANTS CAN TRANSPORT INFECTIOUS PRIONS

Grass plants can bind, uptake and transport infectious prions, according to researchers at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth). The research was published online in the latest issue of Cell Reports.

...Soto's team analyzed the retention of infectious prion protein and infectivity in wheat grass roots and leaves incubated with prion-contaminated brain material and discovered that even highly diluted amounts can bind to the roots and leaves. When the wheat grass was consumed by hamsters, the animals were infected with the disease. The team also learned that infectious prion proteins could be detected in plants exposed to urine and feces from prion-infected hamsters and deer.

Researchers also found that plants can uptake prions from contaminated soil and transport them to different parts of the plant, which can act as a carrier of infectivity. This suggests that plants may play an important role in environmental prion contamination and the horizontal transmission of the disease.

Dear God of Responsible Journalism, Please forgive me for justifiably sensationalizing this story. Thank you, sofi

edit on 15/5/15 by soficrow because: correct autocorrect

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

I was always under the belief that prions were in cranial matter. You have a link where infected people poop and pee out prions? Thanks in advance.

Edit - they ar not misfolded proteins btw. They are a perfect protein virus. Or pseudo virus
edit on 15-5-2015 by Legman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Pass me another jar of that dumb-ass.
These chickens ain't going to paint themselves.
I'll mow the cows tomorrow.
Squirrel!

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Another very disturbing revelation! We have many deer herds infected with CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) which is caused by prions. Same thing causes BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy).

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a transmissible neurological disease of deer and elk that produces small lesions in brains of infected animals. It is characterized by loss of body condition, behavioral abnormalities and death. CWD is classified as a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE), and is similar to mad cow disease in cattle and scrapie in sheep. Infectious agents of CWD are neither bacteria nor viruses, but are hypothesized to be prions. Prions are infectious proteins without associated nucleic acids.

Source

This could mean that many lands and crops are being infected with prions. I read once that many cases of Alzheimers are actually misdiagnosed prion disease or vCJD (variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease). Scary thought.

Prion diseases are a group of neurodegenerative diseases caused by prions, which are “proteinaceous infectious particles.” For some background, first see this introduction to prions. Prion diseases are caused by misfolded forms of the prion protein, also known as PrP. These diseases affect a lot of different mammals in addition to humans – for instance, there is scrapie in sheep, mad cow disease in cows, and chronic wasting disease in deer.

Source

edit on 15/5/15 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I have toast and wheat cereal every morning...ugh this sucks!
edit on 15-5-2015 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Legman

This 2013 thread has a great prion primer (scroll down).

Prions Found in Plants

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

This could mean that many lands and crops are being infected with prions. I read once that many cases of Alzheimers are actually misdiagnosed prion disease or vCJD (variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease). Scary thought.

As I was reading the first few posts I was thinking exactly this.

Is it possible that prion disease has a very long incubation period compared to other diseases we are familiar with, say fifty years plus, and with the trend of an ageing population, people are now living long enough for the symptoms to show themselves? Are we only now seeing the extent of this?
edit on 16/5/2015 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
So...we're basically screwed.

If these prions can infect plants and spread..say, via pollen or seeds, it won't be too long before the entire planet's flora is infected with the little buggers...unless we stop destroying the wealth and diversity of the rainforests, which might, just might contain a species of plant that is immune to prion infection, and that immunity if it exists could hold the key to safeguarding against Human and animal infection.

But we do love a nice bit of hardwood furniture and burgers to eat, so we've probably already destroyed what might have saved us all.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

The OP doesn't mention what happens to baked goods except in the title. What happens to the prions if they are cooked? Reading the article though, this stuff is NASTY. How would you like to hear your brain is infected with Prions? Sweet Jeebus.

V

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
So could this be one of the reasons that people feel so crappy when they eat breads? Maybe it isn't the gluton, maybe it is the prions that are causing an inflammatory reaction. Some people may not react negatively to misfolded proteins while others immune systems might throw a fit. They want us to believe that autoimmune diseases are defects and that we are inferior, but in reality they are cleaning up all the crap in our bodies that really does not belong there. Those who don't have a reaction, I have my wonders as what the prions are doing to their bodies and minds.

Wheat also contains albumin chemistry that allows proteins that aren't properly digested to get through the gut. Egg white also does that but if you eat the whole egg cooked, this isn't so much of a problem. Milk also contains this and so does the juice of meats if eaten too rare. These properties of the foods mentioned is actually a desired property in many situations but when you start throwing things like mentioned in this thread into the mix, I don't think it is a good situation.

Macrophages should eat the prions if they can detect them but continuously firing up macrophages is hard on our bodies.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This is not good news. Its too bad people don't take the power back for food productions. ie. in a town, 20 people or more in groups, raise the money (or even the whole town helping with each group), to purchase a few acres of land and grow food. Aquaponics and some grains. Think people need to start finding unity and adopting principles that are both equal AND free, better mix of ideologies than most of the current political scopes, and start to solve some of these problems in communities, create some clean energies and grow some food and refuse to go to war. Take their power back.

Between GMO and this, and the fish oil they feed livestock and chickens in the interior, when they contaminated the ocean with both nuclear and synthia, from BP, which destroys all carbon based life, think we're in some major trouble. And people need to start grouping up, because only the rich in each town should not be the only ones to survive. That would be letting the bad guys walk over the good people.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

The OP doesn't mention what happens to baked goods except in the title. What happens to the prions if they are cooked?

Nothing. Volcano heat might destroy prions, otherwise nothing much does. They are super stable, unlike regular proteins.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Good post, thanks. But (there's always a but), remember that bit about how prions use the immune system to spread in the body? More here fyi:

Macrophages, especially follicular dendritic cells, contribute to the pathogenesis of prion diseases by accumulating an abnormal isoform of prion protein (PrPSc), which is converted from the cellular isoform of prion protein (PrPC). ...

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Good post.

But never mind CWD - pharmaceutical manufacturing creates prions, and so our bodies in response, and it all gets dumped into our ground water and waterways, and gets taken up by our food crops.

FYI - I am not frightened by prions - I see them as the DEW-line for adaptation and evolution. BUT - we are changing our environment too much and too fast, and now we're in trouble. Thing is, we should be focusing on environmental clean-up, and stopping doing the things that create prions, not looking for a magical "cure." You can't "cure" a natural process, nor should you want to do so.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

...only the rich in each town should not be the only ones to survive. That would be letting the bad guys walk over the good people.

I agree.

Great post.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: rickymouse

Good post, thanks. But (there's always a but), remember that bit about how prions use the immune system to spread in the body? More here fyi:

Macrophages, especially follicular dendritic cells, contribute to the pathogenesis of prion diseases by accumulating an abnormal isoform of prion protein (PrPSc), which is converted from the cellular isoform of prion protein (PrPC). ...

Why couldn't you use bromelaine or another proteinase containing foods or supplements to destroy these misfolded proteins in the blood stream? When I drink milk, some proteins get through and just eating some fresh pineapple or grapefruit can take the headache and ugly feeling away.

It probably won't tough the ones embedded into our cells though. We make our own enzyme like pepsin that is supposed to do this, destroying the proteins in the body. Why isn't the body making that in response to the prions?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Good post.

But never mind CWD - pharmaceutical manufacturing creates prions, and so our bodies in response, and it all gets dumped into our ground water and waterways, and gets taken up by our food crops.

FYI - I am not frightened by prions - I see them as the DEW-line for adaptation and evolution. BUT - we are changing our environment too much and too fast, and now we're in trouble. Thing is, we should be focusing on environmental clean-up, and stopping doing the things that create prions, not looking for a magical "cure." You can't "cure" a natural process, nor should you want to do so.

Wow, I did not know about the pharmaceutical connection. They are finding so much in the ground water, that is a very disturbing thing. I wonder if taking medications can cause the prions to form inside the body. I had a grandmother that got Alzheimer's. I hear many cases a misdiagnosed prion disease. Being she took a lot of odd medications makes one wonder if it is certain medications that cause it. I have been on meds for 24 years now and I haven't noticed any bad symptoms at this point, but I have concerns now.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Not to go off topic but this one of the main warning John Titor brought up so many years ago. He claimed you would only eat what you knew how it was grown (locally grown) and every water source would have guards around it. Fracking will poison our aquifers as industry are poisoning us all.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I have no doubt taking medications can cause prions to form inside the body - it's called a "side effect." "Normal" proteins misfold on exposure to environmental change - that includes exposure to chemicals, radiation, temperature change and more - and misfolded proteins can become infectious prions.

Molecular and cellular aspects of protein misfolding and disease

Proteins are essential elements for life. They are building blocks of all organisms and the operators of cellular functions. Humans produce a repertoire of at least 30,000 different proteins, each with a different role. Each protein has its own unique sequence and shape (native conformation) to fulfill its specific function. The appearance of incorrectly shaped (misfolded) proteins occurs on exposure to environmental changes. Protein misfolding and the subsequent aggregation is associated with various, often highly debilitating, diseases for which no sufficient cure is available yet. ...

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
More:

Feeding on Prion-Contaminated Plants Sickens Animals

....A new study... indicates that grass plants bind prions. Also, stems and leaves from grass plants grown in infected soil contain prions. Finally, when prion-contaminated plant samples are fed to hamsters, the animals develop prion disease.

These findings appeared May 14 in Cell Reports, in an article entitled, “Grass Plants Bind, Retain, Uptake, and Transport Infectious Prions.” The article’s authors, who are based at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, emphasized that there is no proof of transmission from wild animals and plants to humans. However, according to senior author Claudio Soto, Ph.D., the possibility “needs to be explored and people need to be aware of it.” Prions, he added, have a long incubation period.

...“These findings,” the researchers concluded in Cell Reports, “demonstrate that plants can efficiently bind infectious prions and act as carriers of infectivity, suggesting a possible role of environmental prion contamination in the horizontal transmission of the disease.”

top topics

join