It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Teen Banned From Prom For Wearing Confederate Dress Sues School District

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

Originally posted by invent4u2
It's about time we Southerners can use our Confederate flag to proudly show our "southern roots" Those who continue to see it as a throw back to the days of slavery ARE NOT IN DIRECT TOUCH WITH MODERN REALITY and show that they really are single minded and not educated!

Educate me, what does the Stars and Stripes represent and what does the Stars and Bars represent? Honest question.

Stars and Stripes is for YANKEE oppression and Stars and Bars for FREEDOM.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by invent4u2
It's about time we Southerners can use our Confederate flag to proudly show our "southern roots" Those who continue to see it as a throw back to the days of slavery ARE NOT IN DIRECT TOUCH WITH MODERN REALITY and show that they really are single minded and not educated!

Educate me, what does the Stars and Stripes represent and what does the Stars and Bars represent? Honest question.

I agree but for different reasons that I am "not in direct touch with modern reality," so I go with the founding fathers, regardless of whether they were "slaveholders." Washington freed his slaves according to his last will and testament. We have lived in different times, but I am more deeply concerned with the censorship and troubling trends against freedom, which are multiplying like medusa's head. Their banner is political correctness at all costs, no matter how many people they try to crush with their juggernaut. This war against the confederate flag is a war against what many contemporary southerners regard in a friendly sense, their heritage. It no longer stands for racism, as it did in the 1950s and 60s. To remove reminders of that symbol that signifies far more than the narrow parameters that extremists in universities define, with their multiculturalism and balkanization of America, is the usual "divide and conquer," formula. The real issue is the same today, "give me liberty or give me death!"

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Thank you, DrHoracid

Do I detect any bias in your educating of me?

I'm guessing that the answers I receive will be heavily influenced by the North South divide.

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Koka]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Scenario
I've been invited to the US Embassy here in London for a formal dinner and have been asked to wear a tux, do you guys think I should wear my black tux or the one I have made out of the Iranian flag?

You would likely be ridiculed by quite a few, and would be on the cover of the Sun. Aside from that, not much more would happen I'd imagine.

As for Blazing Saddles...if made today, I'd bet my paycheck the ACLU would be organizing a boycott, and there would be quite a stink about it. I'd also wager that if Mel Brooks wasn't jewish, he would have never gotten it made even back then....

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
*dodges the flying bullets and bitch slapping*
The confederate flag was created FOR the confederacy...If you know enough about your history, there are more negative aspects that relate to the seceding of the Southern states than there are positive ones - The Articles of Confederation, line item vetoes come to mind as the plus side....

Everything else was motivated purely upon greed...and although slavery was not the cause of the Civil War nor the primary reason for division between the North and the South, it was a spur in its side....

To me - the Confederate flag stands for Confederate army of the Civil War for which it was created....Going off that logic, it is a CLEAR symbol of racism, although I realize many people use it without that connotation in their minds...

But being a southerner myself, and having seen it proudly displayed on the back of trucks and waved in the yards of rednecks galore, and the yards of many people I know for a fact still carry that racist tradition, I see the flag as vile misuse of symbolism....It's a banner of trash to me, that serves nothing else other than to indicate ones heritage - which, clearly, some people do not know for themselves...

IMO It's a piece of history obviously worth preserving - but it's not something people should take pride in displaying...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Thank you, DrHoracid

Do I detect any bias in your educating of me?

I'm guessing that the answers I receive will be heavily influenced by the North South divide.

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Koka]

My flipant answer was somewhat tongue-n-cheek, however, the South did have the right to leave. Texas in particular having been a soverign nation retained that right. The Stars and Stripes flew over slavery for at least 100 years. Linclon never "freed" the northern slaves only the southern slaves in an effort to defeat the south from within. I lived in Bostson for 3 years. "Racisim" is pretty rampant in New England to this day.

The confederate flag does not sybolize anything. Racisim is in the human heart not on a painted peice of cloth.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
The confederate flag does not sybolize anything. Racisim is in the human heart not on a painted peice of cloth.

Well - That's a very pretty and poetic response...and while I agree with what you're saying, unfortunately I'm not sure thats 100% true...

You could say that a cross is only a cross, and not "the cross" or not symbolic of anything....but there are "a few" out there who would disagree...

In the heyday of this flag's life, so to speak, this flag WAS symbolic of the South...the South DID advocate slavery...therefore, for "a few" out there, the flag did and still does symbolize slavery...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Well - That's a very pretty and poetic response...and while I agree with what you're saying, unfortunately I'm not sure thats 100% true...

You could say that a cross is only a cross, and not "the cross" or not symbolic of anything....but there are "a few" out there who would disagree...

In the heyday of this flag's life, so to speak, this flag WAS symbolic of the South...the South DID advocate slavery...therefore, for "a few" out there, the flag did and still does symbolize slavery...

The "cross" didn't kill Jesus, a roman spear in ths side did, why isn't the spear a symbol? As I recall the sign of the "fish" was the original "sign".

The south didn't advocate slavery. It was simple fact at the time. The northern tyrany was about to destroy the southern economy. The war was about a northern "land" grab nothing else. Yankees didn't care about slavery......................

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

The "cross" didn't kill Jesus, a roman spear in ths side did,

Really? When did the romans kill Jesus? Thats news to me.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

The "cross" didn't kill Jesus, a roman spear in ths side did,

You can't be serious can you?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I wish they had a picture of that dress with the article. I would like to have seen that!

Seriously though, the way I see it, and it is pretty apparent in this thread, is that many have traded a prejudice for a people for a prejudice for a flag.

Why does an image of days long gone still stir people to such emotion, even though the civil war settled the argument to the tune of 3 million lost American lives? I guess some people just have to be pissed about something. If so, why not just be pissed about trivial, meaningless things like me? Oh, wait...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Jesus was killed? Christ, when did that happen?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The "cross" didn't kill Jesus, a roman spear in ths side did, why isn't the spear a symbol? As I recall the sign of the "fish" was the original "sign".

What a symbol is/was and what a symbol should be are two different topics of discussion....

The south didn't advocate slavery. It was simple fact at the time. The northern tyrany was about to destroy the southern economy. The war was about a northern "land" grab nothing else. Yankees didn't care about slavery......................

I thought I made it perfectly clear that I understand that the Civil War wasn't all about slavery when I said just a few posts up:

"Everything else was motivated purely upon greed...and although slavery was not the cause of the Civil War nor the primary reason for division between the North and the South, it was a spur in its side...."

Originally posted by Nygdan
Jesus was killed? Christ, when did that happen?

LMAO!

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
do people forget the south secceded peacefully and was its own country for a few years then they were attacked by the union, if anything the north were traitors for abusing the south and splitting the country because their abuse, they pushed the south was defending itself.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
If I remember correctly the South secceded and then attacked Fort Sumter I think. So I think that the south definatly helped start it but the Union was also a part of it. So in a way, it's both sides fault. But it doesn't really matter because were united now.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
do people forget the south secceded peacefully

They raised an army and held federal property. Thats not outright war, but its not peaceful.

and was its own country for a few years then they were attacked by the union,

The southerners started firing firts. Lincoln just wanted to make sure the boys at Ft Sumpter had, uhhmmm, sun tan lotion and beach blankets. Thats all.

and splitting the country

So you are saying that the southerners were incapable of leaving the union and that the were forced out by the north? That they didn'tleave for all the glorious reasons usually given but rather were just pushed out by the 'north'?

because their abuse, they pushed the south was defending itself.

THe southern states couldn't get what they wanted in congress and felt that the republicans were too overbearing so they took their toys and went home.They are the ones responsible for splitting the union. Congress was supposed to be arbitrating and deciding cases between states and they agreed to stick by that. When it didn't go their way their rebelled.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I The only time warnings are said to be issued are when a poster personally and directly insults or threatens an individual poster.

Wrong. Blanket insults are no longer allowed. SO had a entire thread explaining it.

I am of Confederate decent, my intials are CSA ( Confederate Sons of America)- and my ancestors were killed by yankees, including one(ggrandfather) who was shot in the back by a union soldier.

How many 'yankees' did he kill in his traitorous acts?

Here you insult a mans grandfather and then tell them

What the hell are you going to do about it eh? Did I offend you and your 'southern sensibilities'? Well why don't you cry about it then.

One of mine fought on each side so I guess one was a vile lying tratorist bastard and the other was a hero? The one that fought for the North had slaves and the one that fought for the South didnt.

Neither side was murdering bastards both fought for the cause they believed in and any more blanket insults meant to belittle the sacrifices of EITHER group will get a warn.

If you wish to discuss it futher U2U me

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Oh come on. She's obviously done this for publicity.

It's tacky and it screams drudgereport frontpage.

I never did understand your affinity for "that flag".

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

I The only time warnings are said to be issued are when a poster personally and directly insults or threatens an individual poster.

Wrong. Blanket insults are no longer allowed. SO had a entire thread explaining it.

What? Where? Why is it not being enforced then?

All muslims are evil
Amsterdam muslims are now burning their own women
Atheists are Senseless
FOX is a bunch of biased jerks
Muslims are Slavers
Scientists are Lying A-holes
Ungrateful Muslims Immigrant traitors
The Current US admin are world destroying buttheads
Americans are Paranoid Freaks
People in Skull and Bones are satanic monsters
The administration are evil nazis
America is worse than Hitler
US Soldiers are all sick demented babykilling nazis

Is the problem that i refer to davis and lee as scumbag traitors? Would mere traitors suffice? I'm being honest. Is it the scumbag part or the traitor part? And why are the above allowed, especially insulting americans and muslims?

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Nygdan]

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nerdling has an excellent point about the girl wanting attention.

Now as this debate goes on I'm seeing why the south split in the first place. Obviously southerners and northerner can't seem to get along, even today. Even on ATS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join