It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia targets 'undesirable' foreign organisations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Russia plans to introduce new powers to prosecute foreigners whose activities are seen as "undesirable" on national security grounds.

Russian MPs have backed a bill to ban "undesirable" foreign non-governmental organisations (NGOs) or firms.

The draft leaves the definition of "undesirable" open to interpretation.

Under an existing 2012 law, foreign-funded Russian NGOs linked to politics must register as "foreign agents". The label has connotations of spying.

Source

I think this is a law that quite few people on this site will support. In the past coups have had ties to foreign NGOs. If an organization is actively trying to destabilize your country from within then there should be repercussions.

That said the vagaries of this law make it a bit suspect. I could definitely see it being used to further increase censorship in the country and isolate Russia further. Reporters Without Borders have often been critical of free press in Russia. They consistently rank theem as one of the worst countries in the world. Under this law will Russia remove RWB Crome their borders for having a negative opinion? And what of Amnesty International? Russia isn't exactly well know for its promotion of human rights. Could we also see them kicked out in the near future? And what of foreign corporations? Could the Kremlin attempt to seize assets from these corporations because they are declared "undesirable" using this law?

While I can definitely see the reasoning behind this law the vagaries could potentially make it a dangerous weapon. The question then becomes whether or not this was done on purpose. Thoughts?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Can't say I blame them. Infiltration, subversion, revolution all begin with magnanimity. What better way to carry out plots than from within?

I would suspect all "NGOs" to harbor infiltrators at this point. The same playbook of sanctions, military bases and exercises surrounding countries to be victimized is being played on Russia now, too.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Well, nothing like suppression wit an excuse.

This is a list of NGOs that are undesirable in authoritarian Russia.

civicsolidarity.org...

They include electoral reform, lesbian and gay, democracy, human rights etc...

If this happened in any country in the West there would be uproar.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Honestly if you visit Russia, China, N. Korea, Venezuela or Mexico you do so at your own risk. Russia is what it is they have their own laws same as other countries. If you don't approve the laws then don't enter the country.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Maybe you should focus on your own country before you try to fix other countries.

Edit this comment was not directed toward member 'paraphi'. It was meant as a general comment my mistake.
edit on 15-5-2015 by highfromphoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
What is the funny side of this.. Russia was tempting investors and businesses to come to Russia and suddenly businesses are NGO and money is lost from them.. Reason can be very small or nonexistent.
Free money for Russia.. by stealing
IKEA has removed his businesses from Russia because false accusations and government bullying. Russia is on its way to be second North Korea and no other country can trust them... Maybe it is what Russia wants, be alone and do their subjugating against their own people as much as they want.. I feel sorry for their future.
edit on 15-5-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This law could easily be used to target Russian business, all they have to do is create some fake proof and threaten the owners. Toe the line or lose your business.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Not surprising, India has also been clamping down on NGO's which has been trying to either spread Christianity through devious means or try to stop developmental projects. Seems like Russia is following what India just did.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

IKEA currently has 14 stores in Russia and 5 more planned by 2020. Legit business have nothing to worry about.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ancient Champion
This law could easily be used to target Russian business, all they have to do is create some fake proof and threaten the owners. Toe the line or lose your business.

This tends to be a policy that supports corruption. We know Russia is a highly corrupt country, so the threat to business from false accusations and sham justice will feather the nests of a whole raft of officials, the police and the judiciary.

Basically, this is another mechanism in Russia's arsenal to move towards increased authoritarian government by removing dissent (whether true, or not), while ensuring the officials supporting the government are rewarded. I really fail to understand why some people think this is a good idea, but then some people think that because Russia is in the bad books of the West, that must mean they everything they do is good!

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Laxus
a reply to: dollukka

IKEA currently has 14 stores in Russia and 5 more planned by 2020. Legit business have nothing to worry about.

The problem is, Russian business law is so opaque that it is impossible to tell whether a business is legitimate or not! Remember all those oligarchs who faced trial because they didn't pay taxes that didn't exist before they were charged?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This law is not new and has been used in the past. During that time period it was referred to as:

Gleichschaltung

Putin can deny history and Russia's involvement with NAZI Germany all he wants however when he specifically uses Nazi laws to control his own people...

is just pathetic..

top topics

join