It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana Prohibition Is Unscientific, Unconstitutional, And Unjust

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Cannabis prohibition is deeply rooted in racism,

That's a new one, pull out the race card but I suppose it was inevitable in todays Obama world where the race card is flashed at everything.

What race is the whacky weed anyways, green martian?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

So you pick that one point I made, which happens to be true, in your attempt to discredit what I wrote?

Your strawman argument is I pulled the race card....way to go...you deserve and trophy for your ignorance!

The origins of the law were deeply rooted in racism, this is a historical fact. Also currently the arrests statistics still suggests the cannabis laws are used against minorities at a higher rate than whites. Furthermore a white person charged with simple cannabis possession will likely be punished less harshly than a black or latino person.

edit on 16-5-2015 by jrod because: lalala

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

That's a new one, pull out the race card but I suppose it was inevitable in todays Obama world where the race card is flashed at everything.

lol, the acknowledged fact that cannabis prohibition was based round racism, is in no way a "new one".

In fact, the word marijuana was specifically adopted by the prohibitionists because it sounds like a Mexican word. So when they preached about this "new Mexican killer drug" they claimed was sweeping the nation, the public would relate it to Mexicans and not cannabis sativa, which had been grown as a vital source of fibre in the US for centuries.

Most Mexicans hadn't even heard the phrase 'marijuana' at the time and were far more likely to call it 'mota'.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Why do you hate facts so much?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Great thread man!

In regards to taxation and regulation. I feel Colorado and Washington are far from having it figured out. But it's a damn good start. Right now the average grow/dispensary pays 60-70% to the state on licensing, tagging, taxes, and other state imposed expenses. It's almost impossible to turn a profit in this industry right now and the federal government hasn't even gotten in on the action.

I think the place to watch is Uruguay. With a government run and regulated cannabis industry.

People are clearly just greedy and think they can impose this kind of regulation with no consequence. The people on the front lines of this fight however have the upper hand. You CAN'T control and regulate nature!

To truly get the government to cooperate here and play fair is to make this a movement, a revolution.

If every adult in America was growing this forbidden flower(hemp/cannabis) in his/her front yard or patio what would they do? Arrest us all? Cannabis can't even get you high unless it's cured, flushed, and heated to around 375 degrees. So before anyone freaks out.

Here is a good look at what is going on in Colorado.

edit on 16-5-2015 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Its interesting , I always thought the Anti Marijuana stance from the governments around the world was just to please the anti marijuana people and stamp out something they couldn't profit off . However,after they closed the " Headshops " here in Ireland after public outcry , it seems to be more about image .
Most people , uneducated people, think certain things when they here the word Marijuana , Scumbag , waster , gateway drug , mental health etc.
In my opinion , the only way it will ever start to get proper attention and become legalized on a large scale is from proper education and more research. .
We need more Doctors and scientists speaking about it publicly , in interviews , not in articles , people need to hear it from them .
Also whenever people debate about Marijuana they bring up Alcohol as a counter attack, often with bad explanation,this puts another bad mark on the drug because people then assume they're one and the same . Other than the " Glass of red wine a day " , there are NO health benefits from Alcohol , but research and personal accounts are showing more and more that Marijuana in its purest form , mixed properly can do great things for pain sufferers, cancer patients , brain disease , Alzheimer's and much more . Hopefully at some stage the world will suck it up and realise they can't hide from the facts , and see the benefits , better health , better economy , less drug dealing and a future of more progressive intelligent people who won't stand , sit and nod .

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: IrishBloodHound
Its interesting , I always thought the Anti Marijuana stance from the governments around the world was just to please the anti marijuana people and stamp out something they couldn't profit off . However,after they closed the " Headshops " here in Ireland after public outcry , it seems to be more about image .
Most people , uneducated people, think certain things when they here the word Marijuana , Scumbag , waster , gateway drug , mental health etc.
In my opinion , the only way it will ever start to get proper attention and become legalized on a large scale is from proper education and more research. .
We need more Doctors and scientists speaking about it publicly , in interviews , not in articles , people need to hear it from them .
Also whenever people debate about Marijuana they bring up Alcohol as a counter attack, often with bad explanation,this puts another bad mark on the drug because people then assume they're one and the same . Other than the " Glass of red wine a day " , there are NO health benefits from Alcohol , but research and personal accounts are showing more and more that Marijuana in its purest form , mixed properly can do great things for pain sufferers, cancer patients , brain disease , Alzheimer's and much more . Hopefully at some stage the world will suck it up and realise they can't hide from the facts , and see the benefits , better health , better economy , less drug dealing and a future of more progressive intelligent people who won't stand , sit and nod .

People use it to get high. You cannot put lipstick on a pig to make it cuter.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Without ignoring the facts as they have been laid out, excellently I might add, the reason why Marijuana is still illegal is that 'Big Business' (I'm not a fan of this catch phrase but it suits the purpose of my comment) hasn't figured out how to monopolise it yet. Remembering that big business makes an absolute fortune out of the war on drugs. From supplying equipment to law enforcement to providing 'medical help' to those deemed to be addicts.

One such example is Monsanto's recent announcement that they have been able to genetically modify Marijuana. The question here is, "How come Monsanto can grow, examine and research the plant when nobody else can under penalty of law?". Over the years, it has been proven that this company has scourged the human race by poisoning our food, exterminating millions (Agent Orange as one example) and more than questionable manipulation of government agendas.

Another point worth mentioning would be that should Marijuana be legalised in it's entirety, Law Enforcement would have to find something else to do with 70% of their time. Busting people for the cultivation, sale and use of Marijuana is the easy option. Stoners pose very little threat as they are very rarely violent and the substance itself doesn't heighten aggression or create an uncontrollable state of mind, except of course when the munchies kick in.

Without the fight against Marijuana, Law Enforcement would have to go after the real criminals. Here's an example: If Law Enforcement is carrying out a raid on a suspected Marijuana dealer, they're fairly positive that one entry has been gained, there will not be much of a fight. That way their twenty heavily armed officers can feel safe and confident that they won't meet dangerous resistance. If the same raid was being carried out on a coc aine or heroin dealer, there is a fair chance that the officers would meet armed resistance, not only because these drugs are more profitable but also because of the mind altering properties of these substances tend to make the user more aggressive and willing to put up a fight. Thus, such a raid would need more heavily armed officers (affecting budgets) and there would be a significantly higher risk to those carrying out the raid (selective policing)

History is in the past and there is nothing we can do about it, but the future is in our hands theoretically.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I agree with you on that. especially with the economy falling apart like it is the benefits of an industry like that would not only help stimulate the econmy but also help revitalize this planet we all call home. Hemp has such a wide range of use but most importantly you can me a clean source of fuel. All the propaganda that was spread from anslinger was just a guise for what they thought the real threat was. Back then it was well known that people who had grew hemp were pretty much a self sufficient meaning that you don't to go fill up at a gas station, go to the hardware store, etc. All those conglomerates at the time would have suffered great loss in revenue if hemp farming became a trend, and since its the corporations who run everything including the federal govt they made hemp illegal simply because it has the potential to be and industry that could compete and eventually surpass the others. Instead of seeing potential they saw a threat not to us citizens, but to thier own lively hoods. I'm glad to see more people waking up and advocating it for more than just medicinal purposes, I happen to be a firm believer that saying "the herb is the healing of the nation". Our fore fathers grew hemp and it was utilized thus aiding to the development of america even before the industrial revolution. I'm not positive but its possible that the original draft of the constitution was on a hemp scroll. This plant played a role in our countries history, so hell yes its unconstitutional but also insulting to have our govt show such blatant disregard to the principles that those who fought, bled, and died for there to even be a nation to govern. Weve come so far but it seems that more is being done bypass the constitution for what ever reasons but the only progresss being made is all apart of that big agenda. Because let's be realistic, America would be so much better of if cannabis was legal. The state of our planets environment would be significantly better. The war on drugs would have focused on the actual dangerous substances and the violence that occurs as a result. The drug epidemic that is still devastating communities may have been less severe especially if it happened in the 1930s, if heroin and coc aine were being abused there wouldn't be a propaganda film because the dangers will have been witnessed firsthand. Its possible that race relations could have improved overtime since cannabis's medicinal properties can ease ones temperament if they're normally aggressive. Its also very likely that corruption would no longer be tolerated if certain figures were implicated in a scandal like the Iran contra. It was orchestrated like a conspiracy by govt officials and agents so manditory health screenings would ensure the quality of character is upheld for all government employees, and that means everyone. It sounds like a pipe dream to fullest but there is thing I can say that legalizing cannabis would have been a reality. If it had became an industry, there's no doubt it would be so efficient that other industries wouldnt be able to compete. Cannabis is the most veristile out of any other renewable resources. So once a full factory gets established expansion and profit will follow. But the profits will be greater since any waste or bi product can be used for various applications that can be used on site. This kind of clean energy efficiency would be unrivaled. Auto industries would have to modify engine components since fossil fuels are no longer used. Paper mills will either fold or go green to compete in the changing market. The pharmaceutical industry will try and duplicate something but the natural propertradeof cannabis has already proven to effectively treat a wide range of medical conditions but successfully most in those with chronic or terminal illnesses. But most importantly all lives that were lost as a result of the agendas that caused 911, the wars in Afghanistan, and Iraq wouldn't have happened. I believe a future like that could have been possible if all the innovations made were beneficial to all of the people worlwide but instead the powers that be would rather exploit those innovations to further controversy which is highly profitable for those who make it an occupation. I'm sorry for ranting but this topic is a great example of our constitutional rights being violated. My opinions on the matter is my right but it seems that you can be arrested or detained for upholding the constitutional rights were born with these days.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Fair point, but what I'm really hoping for is that as exposure to it increase, awareness of how not dangerous it is will increase. This is literally already the case, and it's growing exponentially. Government regulation will eventually step in line as it becomes more and more of a socially acceptable behavior.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I live in Seattle and in Washington state currently medical pot growers and their stores are not licensed or regulated but...the recreational pot businesses have to pay taxes and have strict rules...so far medical pot has not had these taxes and rules.

Republican Senator Ann Rivers has and is promoting a bill that has passed both the house and senate here in Washington state; and if our Governor signs it...things will start changing in July.

People that get medical pot will be put through some changes. If the Governor approves the changes a lot of the current dispensaries will be closed. If a person has been recommended by a Doctor what will happen is some of the recreational pot stores that we already have here in Seattle will include medical pot too...and the staff at these places will be trained to help those who get medical pot.

People who get medical pot will have an option of joining a patient registry...where they will have to have proof from their Doctors, pay a $1.00 fee for a registration card with their picture on it.

The liquor control board is pushing for these changes. A friend of mine who gets medical pot went to a meeting last night...people are taking around petitions to stop the Governor from signing the changes into law.

Right now we have around 300 medical pot stores...if the changes go through...most of them will be shut down.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

Well that's no good. Good luck in getting that shut down. I'm not surprised that the liquor control board is behind something like that. The alcohol industry fears marijuana usage of all kinds. So many people like smoking marijuana WAY more than drinking alcohol, and you can bet that when it becomes available nationwide that alcohol sales will drop. It's a shame that they are lashing out at the medical industry though... Sore losers.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
Marijuana has medicinal properties galore. Is someone smoking some pot due to, anxiety, or chronic pain; the same as 'getting high'? No. It's not.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I think your spot on. Exposure will increase awareness. But as your OP pointed out so well we have been denied exposure for so long it will be the snowball effect. I think right now it's at about half momentum but it's picking up speed faster than ever now. Half the task was getting to this point.

We have 22 states where it' legal for medical patients. 4 more and the federal government will be forced to address it on a national medical level.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Smoking, or Selling Pot is MUCH, MUCH different than murder. Comparing apples to oranges is failed logic.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Exactly, look how fast legalization became a major talking point. In the mid to late aughts, we could barely get anyone to consider decriminalization and most states were just doing the medical thing. Here on ATS, you couldn't even talk about the plant. Then practically overnight not only did decriminalization become a big issue, but states had started legalizing the plant. It happened so fast that the Prohibitionist lobbies were left flat footed in the initial elections to determine legality in the 4 states plus DC that have legalized it. Heck the Prohibitionists were so caught off guard for the DC vote, that something like 80% of the population of the city voted to legalize it.

That being said, I'd expect the next round of legalization votes to not go over as smoothly as the first batch. The prohibitionist lobbies have had time to catch up, and there has been an increase in anti-pot propaganda. But I do think those first 5 victories are going to catch up to the prohibitionists. They gave us a foot in the door where we were bared for decades, and it will be hard to for them to push that foot back out.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Colorado and Washington seem to have figured it out. To me, when people try to claim that figuring out tax laws for marijuana is impossible just says that they think it is too hard and don't want to think about it. If we put our mind to it, we can figure out the fairest way to distribute marijuana so that the government gets its cut and everyone else is happy.
Yes and it is working very well.
I live in Washington and it's a wonderful thing. I don't have a sales slip handy but we just have to pay retail sales tax on it, just like anything else we buy.

Oregon is going legal July 1st. What we need is California to go legal, then we will have the whole west coast on board.

Gives new meaning to "Go west young man (or woman)".

As soon as Big Pharma figures out how to make billions and billions out of people's suffering, then legal medical use will be a done deal everywhere.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Hidinout

Depends on if the cigarette companies can beat them to the punch. I'm sure they are anxious to expand into a smoking habit that isn't socially frowned upon.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Hidinout

Depends on if the cigarette companies can beat them to the punch. I'm sure they are anxious to expand into a smoking habit that isn't socially frowned upon.

I have read that Phillip Morris has already trademarked "Joints" for their pre packaged product should it be made legal.

Don't know if true.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

I've heard similar rumors as well. Though, keep in mind that they ARE rumors.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join