It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Saudi Arabia Recalls Ambassador to Libya Over Crown Prince Abdullah Assassination Plot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Saudi Arabia has recalled its ambassador to Lybia over an apparent plot to assassinate Crown Prince Abdullah. Abdullah is the defacto ruler of the Kingdom. Calling the plot atrocious, this latest move could latest sign in the eminent collapse of relations between the two countries. The Libyans expressed astonishment over the move and have asked the Arab league to investigate the matter.

story.news.yahoo.com
RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia recalled its ambassador in Tripoli on Wednesday over what it called an "atrocious" Libyan plot to assassinate the kingdom's de facto ruler, Crown Prince Abdullah.

The Saudi action is the latest sign of a near-collapse in ties between Saudi Arabia and the north African state, which said it was surprised at the move and denied the accusation.

"The procedure we took is to recall the Saudi ambassador from Libya and ask that Libya withdraws its ambassador," Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal told reporters. "A memorandum will be handed over to the Libyan government today."

Prince Saud said the kingdom's move was a restrained response to an "atrocious" incident.

Libya expressed "astonishment" at the Saudi decision and asked the Arab League to investigate the matter.

"Nothing has happened between the two countries that warranted the withdrawal of the (Saudi) ambassador," the Libyan Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The U.S. recently convicted a U.S. based Muslim activist, Abdurahman al-Amoudi, for his role in the plot to kill the crown prince. He claims that he was contacted by some Saudi dissidents on behalf of some Libyan officials to assassinate the crown prince. According to Saudi officials, a Libyan intelligence officer was in the process of organizing the assassination in the holy city of Mecca and had established a bank account with a balance of over $1 million dollars to finance the attempt. This is the first I have heard of this and I wonder what the motives are? Perhaps its related to oil production and quotas within OPEC? Beyond that I fail to see what is in it for the Libyans who have their new found Non-Pariah status to put at risk.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Once a plotter always a plotter many think of Khadaffi and who can blame them, just look at the past actions of Khadaffi, before he shook hands with Blair (wich was a fine example of pragmatism, showing how axis-of-evil is just one signature under a shell oilcontract away from best buddies....)

But on the other hand, the Saoudi aren't exactly fresh themselves, with many average saoudi getting fed up with the princes and the wahabists staging attacks at home, it might be a good time to find a new common enemy to steal the spotlight and distract from the rotten apples in their own basket?

BTW, Bush is visiting Europe in februari, If I were him I would really look out for an assasination attempt in Belgium, among the many muslim immigrants in Europe might be just a few sleeping cells that could be woken up to put him in the crosshairs? I would think that especially among the young Marrocans their would be enough dissatisfaction and macho culture to try something "heroic"...

[edit on 23-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

new topics

join