It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patents and DoD

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Posing this ques for all you's opinion.
Do you think that all Patent's are scrutinized by the DoD and/or is the USPTO a branch of the DoD itself?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
Posing this ques for all you's opinion.
Do you think that all Patent's are scrutinized by the DoD and/or is the USPTO a branch of the DoD itself?

I can tell you this ... all patents pertaining to Any device which communicates or has an electronic component IS scrutinized by an element of the DoD. I used to work out of that office.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Only if filed in the US

There are some weird IP laws though in the US with communications, especially with source code control. Know someone who works at a firm dealing with low level cell phone code. Basically any part of it from the US branch, gets automatically restricted.

So you can say send some source code to the US branch, they make changes, but they cannot send it you back, they can however build it for you to test.

That kinda weirdness, which is specific to areas of possible sensitivitiy

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

If an examiner thinks a patent might relate to something in the national interest it will end up forwarded to group 220 for analysis.

Some things always are, nuclear weapon related applications for example.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
They took the nuclear batteries away. These would have made recharging a thing of the past. It was out on the net for awhile and then they snagged them. They were made with Thorium or Strontium if I remember correctly. Asshats!

edit on 15/5/15 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Alas! They were bs. As was the thorium laser. Just because something is radioactive doesn't change its electrochemical behavior.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   

The patent office is under the umbrella of the Department of Commerce. Just thought I'd toss that in there, since no one addressed that part of your question yet.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
They took the nuclear batteries away. These would have made recharging a thing of the past. It was out on the net for awhile and then they snagged them. They were made with Thorium or Strontium if I remember correctly. Asshats!

I heard of them too but don't know if they were legit.
Even one Russian invented the like but the kgb took it away and snubbed him, according to him.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

The patent office is under the umbrella of the Department of Commerce. Just thought I'd toss that in there, since no one addressed that part of your question yet.
Didn't know about this part. But nasa is under the umbrella of the DoD

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

That's a common misconception too. NASA is not under the jurisdiction of any cabinet level department, with its administration reporting directly to the President.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It would seem logical that someone (some office) at the DoD is tasked with keeping up with current patents to see if any interesting or useful new inventions or ideas come along, or inventions/ideas that could be a threat to national security (such as a new easy way to build a bomb).

I would think the DoD would be not be doing their job properly if they didn't do that. Or maybe the DHS does this, too.

edit on 5/15/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
It would seem logical that someone (some office) at the DoD is tasked with keeping up with current patents to see if any interesting or useful new inventions or ideas come along, or inventions/ideas that could be a threat to national security (such as a new easy way to build a bomb).

I would think the DoD would be not be doing their job properly if they didn't do that. Or maybe the DHS does this, too.

Well, that's what group 220 is for. Otherwise known as SLAG, or the Special Laws Administration Group, it's about 50-75 examiners with security clearances. They review the patent application and if they find it fits one of a number of criteria, they "throw it over the wall" to the defense agency, intelligence group or the DOE group that is interested in that type of patent.

At that point, whoever is the relevant agency will further evaluate the patent application, if they find out that it's something that needs to be kept in the bag they will subject you to the appropriate secrecy order. There are several types, I'd get the type 2, while you would get the type 3. If it's DOE, then there are other ramifications.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Well I'd hope they compensate the patent filer properly if it got stuck into the black world. I'd be angry if my awesome idea never saw the light of day and made me any money.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

That's a common misconception too. NASA is not under the jurisdiction of any cabinet level department, with its administration reporting directly to the President.
Vice president, actually.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: paradoxious

Wait, so Biden is in technically in charge of NASA?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: paradoxious

Wait, so Biden is in technically in charge of NASA?
I guess I stand corrected. That hasn't been the case since 1993. Now it actually is the President that has influence over NASA management.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Well I'd hope they compensate the patent filer properly if it got stuck into the black world. I'd be angry if my awesome idea never saw the light of day and made me any money.

Sometimes that happens. It depends on the patent and the person filing.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Well, if I wasn't going to be compensated and my idea/research was going into a black hole -- you'd be damned sure I'd be pissed. I suppose there wouldn't be much you could do though. They want it, they get it. If you put up a stink they could make it so you'd never get grant funding or work in your field again.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19350281]MystikMushroom If you put up a stink they could make it so you'd never get grant funding or work in your field again.

I think Walter Gerlach found this the hard way

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Well, if I wasn't going to be compensated and my idea/research was going into a black hole -- you'd be damned sure I'd be pissed. I suppose there wouldn't be much you could do though. They want it, they get it. If you put up a stink they could make it so you'd never get grant funding or work in your field again.

Or lock you up. Or shoot you, worst case I suppose. They always tell you it's possible although I am not sure it's ever happened.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join