It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race Relations..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Wow I never realised how big the historic race problem in the USA actually was until I saw this video.. it really opened my eyes. Be warned though as there is some very disturbing and graphic content..

Part 2 is a lot less graphic but still just as interesting.

I know there are still a lot of race issues nowadays which will likely never go away, but its shocking to think that just a few decades ago it was so bad.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TechUnique

Unfortunately they consider race relations to be a matter of black and white, most of the time. Natives, Asians, and so-called Hispanics are left out in the cold.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Unfortunately they consider race relations to be a matter of black and white, most of the time. Natives, Asians, and so-called Hispanics are left out in the cold.

Indeed! I can't argue with that comment.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
All I can say to this is that, I am with Kilrain:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-5-2015 by BennyHavensOh because: Spelling

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
No human being deserves to be treated cruelly no matter what their race or color! It astounds me that such a thing as slavery can exist.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BennyHavensOh

Embedded for you.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Bless you, and thank you too...

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

All I'm gonna say is that there are two sides to this story brother,and as long as there is, neither will ever be right.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It's sad, but just as the embers of racism were all but extinguished in America, it seems self-serving elitists have taken it upon themselves to employ agent provocateurs in an effort to fan the flames of racial discord.

source 1: goo.gl...
source 2: goo.gl...

If you could only hear these greedy self-serving dirtbags now, "divide and conquer baby, divide and conquer!"

edit on 14-5-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
No human being deserves to be treated cruelly no matter what their race or color! It astounds me that such a thing as slavery can exist.

Oh hey, good thing we fought a civil war that killed more Americans than every other war in American history combined to end it then?

Or is that not good enough?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

originally posted by: Night Star

Oh hey, good thing we fought a civil war that killed more Americans than every other war in American history combined to end it then?

Or is that not good enough?

Nope. I fear it's going to be even worse next time around. 10s of millions at least ... just like Russia, just like China. Funny thing watching History on the brink of repeating itself.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

while i get this sentiment....you would have to live here for awhile to understand why it just boils down to black and white.

You should read up on what the presidents did between Lincoln and Harrison, then read up on the way the Civil Rights movement went down.

The scars run deep for a lot of folks.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I'd say that the Natives are the most stepped on and abused minority class out of any of them. Their population has been SO decimated by government sanctioned racism (*cough*Manifest Destiny*cough*) that they have been reduced to a sad state living in squalor on reservations. Alcoholism and drug use (meth mostly) runs rampant in their communities. And they apparently can't even put together an efficient enough lobby to get professional sports teams to stop using racist team names and images.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

These are a good reminder of how far we've come. I honestly think that most learned racism will die out with the next generation or two that comes around--I sure hope so.

But I'll be honest--people and organizations who exist specifically for one race (Sharpton, NAACP, KKK, PGA Tour [kidding...kidding...], etc.) are the antithesis of abolishing racism. It's good to be reminded that it exists and that we need to fight against it, but these types of humans and organizations are perpetuating its existence.

We'll never rid the world or society of racist people, but it's pretty awesome how far things have coming in reducing it to being a miniscule sector of the population instead of the social norm.

ETA:

Starting off with the Mike Brown case and using that as an example of racist violence was a mistake, though, and really devalues the entire video. If you want to create a video that shows racism, at least use real examples of racism, ya know?
edit on 15-5-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

But to be fair, it works both ways...most tribes want the government out of their lives, so if they're suffering in modern times, it's can be contributed to their own doings.

I despise the part of American history (I'm looking at you, Jackson) where the N.A.s were relocated...the Trail of Tears...all of that. It's a skidmark that can't be washed away from our history. But, there has been a decent amount of time to recover after having Uncle Sam leave them alone, and they (at least a portion of them) are not doing it.

Groups of people can only play the history-was-mean-to-us card for so long before it starts becoming a group wallowing in their own self-pity. Personal responsibility plays a big role in bettering one's situation, and if you're still blaming Manifest Destiny--from two-hundred years ago--for current problems, I'd argue it's time to let that idea go.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

while i get this sentiment....you would have to live here for awhile to understand why it just boils down to black and white.

You should read up on what the presidents did between Lincoln and Harrison, then read up on the way the Civil Rights movement went down.

The scars run deep for a lot of folks.

Racism wasn't really as bad after the Civil War as it was later. Sure there were the Black Codes and all, but those were quickly repealed and defeated by Reconstruction Republicans. Reconstruction actually did a lot to advance black rights (though shortly after Reconstruction, many of those things were walked back).

It really wasn't until Woodrow Wilson (a notorious racist) became president that racism really kicked into full gear. Heck, the KKK had all but been destroyed, but was revived during his presidency (and probably thanks to it).

The KKK, Hollywood and President Wilson

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

If only it were that simple. For one, the Natives were enslaved JUST like the blacks. Fun fact: Christopher Columbus was a slaver and enslaved the natives he met. But he came way before our country existed, so I'm just posting that to give credence to what I'm talking about.

To expect the Native population to come back to their former glory after what we did to them is naive. Here is a breakdown of the racism done to Natives:
Racism, Justice and the American Indian; Racism against Native Americans; Forgotten Story of Indian Slavery

THEN the ultimate insult to all of this is that our history books gloss over all this past intolerance and our youth learn little about it, so the injustices visited upon the Natives (and still being visited upon them, *cough* Dan Snyder *cough*) are forgotten about or ignored. The NAACP won't let us forget about white on black racism, but who is working to keep us from forgetting white on native racism?

For instance, history classes don't teach that Christopher Columbus enslaved the natives he met, so no one remembers that happened. I'm sure that the link I provided above is going to educate a few people who didn't know that, and THAT is a problem in itself.
edit on 15-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Wow, native Americans and blacks as well as others enslaved to build America? A topic that I have always wanted to broach but for which I lacked the courage. My biggest concern with the concept however was always and still is that if such an evil were really true, (and I believe it to be so), then surely there would, (or will still be), a great karma debt waiting to be paid. I DO believe that what goes around comes around and that in the end it does not really matter if the guilty are punished, only that punishment is handed out to someone at some point in time. Will the approaching enslavement of us all be this day of reckoning I wonder? Only time will tell.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BennyHavensOh

Wow, native Americans and blacks as well as others enslaved to build America? A topic that I have always wanted to broach but for which I lacked the courage. My biggest concern with the concept however was always and still is that if such an evil were really true, (and I believe it to be so), then surely there would, (or will still be), a great karma debt waiting to be paid. I DO believe that what goes around comes around and that in the end it does not really matter if the guilty are punished, only that punishment is handed out to someone at some point in time. Will the approaching enslavement of us all be this day of reckoning I wonder? Only time will tell.

It gets even worse than that. Colombus not only enslaved the Natives he met, but he literally started the African slave trade in the Americas. His slave system was called Encomienda and it was replaced by the Repartimiento system. Barbados & the Bahamas were slave colonies, and even Irish people were sent there as slaves under Cromwell. Later on, Haiti would become a French slave colony (their system was called "Corvee").

Then again, even the Puritans, Quakers, and Pilgrims had slaves at different times in their history. The Cherokees & Creek/Muscogee Peoples did as well. Though the Muscogee basically had you become a member of the tribe, including getting married, so as to ensure loyalty to them. So basically their slavery was a form of assimilation. Some branches of Cherokees had full fledged plantations before they were targeted for removal.

As for the OP: The main thing I think you should remember is that the 1950s through 1960s brought forced racial integration to America. There were plenty of rulings & Acts of Congress like the Supreme Court's 1954 Hernandez v Texas ruling, which gave non-black minorities equal rights & protections. Plus there was the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (ended Segregation); Voting Rights Act of 1965 (ensured black Americans the right to vote); and the Supreme Court's 1967 Loving v Virginia ruling, which ended the ban on interracial marriages. (Plus the 1950s' "Massive Resistance" initiative which was designed to thwart desegregation in Virginia.)

If you look at the years, you'll realize that a lot of people are still alive from that time. And a lot of those people still don't believe in racial equality or racial integration. I always have to ask people "Do you honestly think those people all just disappeared when these laws were passed? Or that they instantly rejected their former views & started teaching their communities to be tolerant?" In other words, it's going to take a lot more time before American race relations get where they need to be. In fact, it was 1981 when Lee Atwater gave his infamous interview on "the Southern Strategy" (www.thenation.com...), which is surely a political strategy you'll recognize in American politics today.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I was cognizant in the 50's in Newark, NJ and while communities were at least partially segregated, we all interacted really well and without the racial problems that exist today. It was not until the late 60's in places like Plainfield, NJ (the next town over to where we moved0, that scumbags like Al Sharpton realized that they could cash in of stirring hatred between the races. Like Mohammed Ali said, there is no reason that we all have o intermarry or live integrated communities, because we can all live together in peace if that is what we strive to do:

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join