It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pickles

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: nonspecific

i went my whole life hating beets. About a year ago I had some red and some gold beets that were roasted and in a salad with mizuna, goat cheese, toasted almonds, and a light fig balsamic.

Now i am a fanatic.

Until quite recently you only ever saw pickled sliced beetroot or boiled vac packed for salads here in the UK.

Over the past few years there havs been an increase in what are a little annoyingly called "heratage" varieties, basically going back to some of the older varieties.

I would have to agree that roasted heratige beetroot is really a revalation although I also like standard red beetroot baked, peeled and served with a bechamel sauce and loads of sea salt and cracked black pepper.

Back on the pickles do you get proper pickled onions over there, I do not mean the weak little silverskins but bloody great brown shallots steeped in malt vinager that make your eyes water and take your breath away?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

No......but you may have just put me on a mission.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

No......but you may have just put me on a mission.

Recipe.

As with all good pickles the longer you leave them the better they get but as I said be warned they can pack a mean punch!

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: ketsuko

I made pickled watermelon rind once.....it was AWESOME....but not very low carb, I'm afraid.

And, homemade dill pickles are THE BEST!!!!!
But, I make small quantities....in a big bowl....reminds me of fall....
When they are pickled to the desired state, they go in the frig....

So I'm not the only one who has done it?

Everyone looks at me funny when I go to the farmers market looking for watermelon and ask specifically for the ones with the thickest rind. They ask why and when I tell them, they blink and sort of go, "I've never heard of that ..."

I learned how because my mom's grandma used to make a few jars every summer, and my mom loves them. So I did it mainly for her. Now I like a few and I have nephews who go crazy for them.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Love pickles... and really love using a Japanese pickle press:

It gets heavy use during summer harvest, and you can come up with your own recipes to spice up your own batch... The possibilities are endless.

This style of pickling is good for the short term, but I usually munch them down in a day or two. If you like pickles, I recommend giving this a try

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Mrs nonspecific came back today with a couple of bulbs of fennel she picked up for 10p each (about 14 cents)

After this thread I decided to "fresh pickle" one as follows.

Slice fennel thinly and dry salt for about an hour.

2 parts water, 1 part white vinager 1/2 part sugar.

2 tablespoons brined green peppercorns, same of brined capers, 3 star annise, big spoon of black treacle(I would guess mollases?)

Bring to boil and simmer for 5 mis and allow to cool.

Rinse and dry fennel, combine in jar with sea salt and leave for approx 3 days.

My own recipe but pretty sure it will be awsome with a chicken salad and might try char grilling some with onions for a warm dressing.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Beetroot is one of the best things pickled, lightly in sweet, fragrant wine vinegar, also great roasted, especially the golden varieties. The heritage varieties being sold here is certainly a good thing.

White sauce is on my list of 5 fav foods and is good with most things, yummy.

Also good as a pickle of sorts is marinated herring, Swedish style and fresh strawberries lightly marinated in balsamic vinegar, sherry or port , lavender sugar and fresh basil.
edit on 15-5-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Yup...molasses is what we call it here. Its the sweetener of the poor folks. I grew up loving molasses enough I'd use it like syrup on pancakes.

"Beetroot", we just call "beets".

I ordered some pickling spices this morning, with the ultimate goal being to pickle a few lbs of shallots. Ill let you know how they turn out, and may end up doing some photos of the process for you.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yup...molasses is what we call it here. Its the sweetener of the poor folks. I grew up loving molasses enough I'd use it like syrup on pancakes.

"Beetroot", we just call "beets".

I ordered some pickling spices this morning, with the ultimate goal being to pickle a few lbs of shallots. Ill let you know how they turn out, and may end up doing some photos of the process for you.

As I said there an aquired taste but I have a feeling they may be something you'll enjoy.

Have a nice lump of cheese handy to compliment the acidity and maybe a crisp apple sliced.

To top it off then a good cider is a must but any cold lager/beer is a welcome partner.

I hope you enjoy them and if you do then spread the word.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And, it is just the prettiest color, don't you think?
I lived alone when I made it...and that was a lot of watermelon to eat to get the rind I needed LOL

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well being predominantly Brit/German pickled anything works for me. Onions. Eggs. Chow. Cabbage(sauerkraut). Pickles?
No shame in lovin the pickled stuffs.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

I wants me one of those....for two people, which size container would you recommend?

a reply to: intrepid
My parents made a lot of stuff from scratch....made their own kielbasa....fresh and smoked.
Pickled their own herring.
Made their own sauerkraut [kapusta].
Canned pickles....a lot of them. Bread and butter pickles. Chili sauce [not hot, just tangy].

I had an aunt and uncle who canned mushrooms...that they picked themselves.....nothing like it.

Spoiled me for anything store-bought.
edit on Fri May 15 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

a reply to: JacKatMtn

I wants me one of those....for two people, which size container would you recommend?

I would be interested in one of those if was strong enough to press meats as well.

If not I would be tempted to just use stuff U already own and a heavy weight.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

That's a good idea....at least until I see if we like the results

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

That's a good idea....at least until I see if we like the results

I am now thinking about some plastic tubs, a drill and a couple of kilo's of salt.

Pic's will posibly follow as I guess there asking over price for what it does but it looks gadgety.

I had so many things in my kitchen for doing stuff I could not find anything or even cook.

I like to keep it simple.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I wonder how much weight is needed......we have some large rocks around the yard.....they could be sanitized.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join