It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close-Up Flyover Of The Mysterious Bright Spots On Ceres

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
We do have bio-luminescence in some organisms. That is done chemically. Perhaps this is some chemical reactions that also generate light. It doesn't have to be alien mining operations, although us humans have been talking recently about mining asteroids, so it is plausible.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Annunaki gold crystals

Time will tell

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The actual "color" of Ceres is something close to coal, or mostly black...

They had to turn the gain way the heck up on the camera...

High enough that anything "not black", for lack of a better term, is simply saturating the pixels and looks white and glow-ey.

Wait for closer pictures, then there will be ir data as well (too far away yet, no resolution) so we can actually try to figure out what it is.

I'm guessing it's just lighter colored rock.
edit on 14-5-2015 by gspat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
How big is this area? and how big is that crater?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

From OP's gif

From this angle we can see that the bright spots have dissapeared below the central crater wall.

From the other extreme angle the spots are still very bright, even though the ambient light is very dim.

Something fluorescent? as in, giving off its own light?

That's exactly what I first thought. The GIF is a pig though, incoming to the light there is the brief moment of no light at all, that indicates no elevation of the spots, and that continues until near the end. Yet on the outgoing from the light you still see the spot/s, though you think that at that point you should see nothing. Kind of like an incandescent light going out. Maybe there is elevation that's has the brightness to one side only and dark on the other as it comes into view, and seen longer as it goes out of view, and that head on the brightness of the light overcomes the possibility of any shadow of elevation.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta
Double post oops
edit on 5/14.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Snow or ice, even a solid gas like oxygen or carbon dioxide would have sublimated into the vacuum of space millions or billions of years ago. Only thing I can think of that would be natural would be the remnants of a meteor or asteroid, one that somehow left a reflective surface in the fragments.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/14.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

From OP's gif

From this angle we can see that the bright spots have dissapeared below the central crater wall.

From the other extreme angle the spots are still very bright, even though the ambient light is very dim.

That's exactly what I first thought. The GIF is a pig though, incoming to the light there is the brief moment of no light at all, that indicates no elevation of the spots, and that continues until near the end. Yet on the outgoing from the light you still see the spot/s, though you think that at that point you should see nothing. Kind of like an incandescent light going out. Maybe there is elevation that's has the brightness to one side only and dark on the other as it comes into view, and seen longer as it goes out of view, and that head on the brightness of the light overcomes the possibility of any shadow of elevation.

Looking again, I think you are correct about elevation to one side, but I still find it odd that the spots remain so bright, even when the ambient light is so dim.
Ever seen those little plastic stars that kids put on their bedroom ceilings that glow in the dark? They are charged by light. Maybe on ceres there's something similar that gets charged by sunlight, and then glows!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
On this planet we have lava from red to yellow.

Could this be some white glowing "lava" ?

Some metals glow white when hot, a sea of molten hot metal of any kind?

Has there been thermal imaging? To see extreme temperatures? Hot or cold

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Diamond from the asteroid that made the creator.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Eureka! I've got it!

Ceres is a Dyson sphere, well-disguised as a planetoid. But it's a planetoid caught with its pants down, i.e., some of that precious solar radiation showing through the cracks.

Of course, how could the central star be so tiny as to fit? Simple. It's controlled fusion. Ceres is a giant nuclear generator (;^=3

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

edit on 14-5-2015 by Namdru because: duplicate post

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

From OP's gif

Looking again, I think you are correct about elevation to one side, but I still find it odd that the spots remain so bright, even when the ambient light is so dim.
Ever seen those little plastic stars that kids put on their bedroom ceilings that glow in the dark? They are charged by light. Maybe on ceres there's something similar that gets charged by sunlight, and then glows!

Yes, it is the darkness around the lights exit is seemingly a sticking point, trouble is where's the gif generated from.
Take a look at this video, but go straight to 2.30 to see the toning added effect, bright spot on the very dark background just as here, then bright spot on a not so dark background, same picture though...forget about the guy talking, he's on another tack.

Just something to watch out for, while I'm not saying that the same effect is applicable here.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Could it be glass, formed from the heat of an impact event? I know Ceres doesn't have an atmosphere to cause incoming bodies to generate frictional heat, but maybe something we have yet to discover could itself be hot enough?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The Mass Relay and Element 0 . On the serious side I would agree possibly ice from a recent direct hit from a small comet .

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The Mass Relay and Element 0 . On the serious side I would agree possibly ice from a recent direct hit from a small comet .

Do you have your biotic amp ready? Giddy-up.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Ooooo! Does that mean we have to get ready to shoot us some Turians? I hope not. Garrus was the best bro character ever.

But I have my Vindicator locked and loaded.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
Good point about the source!

I slowed it down a little and marked an oddity

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Perhaps it's something unknown to earthlings altogether.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I've seen artifacts like that when trying to render a 3 dimensional wire frame image from a 2 dimensional digital scan.

If all you had was a daguerreotype scan of your great grandmother, and you wanted to use her likeness in a 3D video game you could use a rendering program.

Maybe NASA is "Pretending"

edit on 14-5-2015 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2015 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join