It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: A private school education leads to "an anti-government ideology."

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I don't interpret this as an attempt to divide. It seems to me that Obama was trying to make a general statement about the issue and did so very poorly.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I agree with, and disagree with, you.

I do see it as an attempt to continue the trend of dividing us among ourselves. He's just the latest in the trend.

Now if he didn't mean what he said? Then he did indeed say it poorly, and really should revisit his Creative Writing courses...

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Yeah, but forcing everyone to go to the public schools doesn't address the issue. If the public schools were actually doing a good job, a lot of people who are paying money for private schooling would be simply sending their kids to public schools. It's not like even the less expensive private schools are cheap let me tell you.

And he is also missing another part of the issue entirely. Parents have two reasons to send kids to private schools.

1.) Private schools tend to do a better job educating.

2.) Parents who care enough to pay that much on their kids' educations will also tend to have kids who are going to not be absolutely disruptive brats in class.

This is the second problem. Kids in public schools run the gamut from well-behaved to the increasingly ill-mannered and disruptive and the schools have fewer and fewer available tools to enforce any kind of discipline, so the kids who are trying to learn have their days disrupted and their educations impeded.

This isn't exactly a school issue though. It's a society issue. Parents are increasingly unwilling or unable to discipline their own children. And because of that, you almost need to set a new paradigm in order to ensure that the serious kids aren't taken down as collateral damage.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think it's ridiculous how whenever a hero of the liberal progressives says something improper, and then gets called for it, the ones who point out the impropriety are always accused of "taking it out of context".

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
I think it's ridiculous how whenever a hero of the liberal progressives says something improper, and then gets called for it, the ones who point out the impropriety are always accused of "taking it out of context".

Well sometimes it does happen, but I think it's fair to challenge that person to produce the quote in context and explain it.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It is a shame, I grew up in PR, our books were not edited in the US like they are now, back in the 70s we had the best education you could imagine, we knew about the world, history, science, I hate math, our books were edited in Spain.

We could talk about any country around the world and we knew were to find it.

Now is just relegated to local history, like here in the states the history is just the local state history, with just a bit of government, most Americans have no clue that is more countries around us than Canada, Mexico and Cuba.
occurs Britain.

For most people the middle east is still in the dark ages and China is just communist.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

No anymore, seagull, my daughter Graduated from college back in 2008, my son didn't go to college, but both of them have successful jobs and are living well.

I did notice the terrible conditions of the school system here in GA, my children attended DOD schools most of their life primary education when they stated public schools is was deplorable, both of them were bored and could not understand why they had to take so much state history garbage.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: infolurker

That Jackasses kids go to a private school.

He really is a massive turd.

every president has to have his kids in a secured and easily-guarded setting while attending school......apparently all the other presidents are massive turds too, because their kids have also went to private schools.
Obama went to a private school as a child too, in Indonesia and Hawaii! He also attended private colleges. If you don't see the hypocrisy, well ..........

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I've listened to Obama speak quite a bit and he has a habit of getting ahead of himself and not properly articulating his point very effectively. We can interpret his statement in a variety of ways, which we have in this thread, but I don't see this as an attack on private schools or an attempt to divide. I see this as a poorly worded statement by a president that was discombobulated.

a reply to: ketsuko

forcing everyone to go to the public schools doesn't address the issue.

I don't believe he said anything of the sort. If he did. I missed that.

As for the rest of your post, I can agree for the most part. You highlighted a very important key to this issue and that is parental involvement. I don't believe the school our kids went to would matter if the parents were more proactive and involved in the education process.....and parented at home.

That is a social-societal issue that no school can change.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Actually THAT is critical thinking and common sense.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

I'm neither a liberal, progressive and I do not think Obama is anyone's hero, but as a person that enjoys an honest, spirited debate, context is always key. Without it, you're just wasting your time.

All too often, we do see the opponents of Obama and the Left take things completely out of context. One of the reasons to take things in proper context is to make sure that you do recognize the instances when outrage is necessary. When Obama does do something that should cause all of us to pay attention, too many people simply ignore it because the Right's propaganda machine has become the "party that cries wolf" and we've become numb to the faux outrage. We can't tell when we're supposed to ignore it, or when to cry foul along side them.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Please, if it's being done here ... provide the full context and explain. I've done this a time or two for Limbaugh who gets taken out of context by the Left at least a couple times a week.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Obama basically said the same thing that was discussed in this thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

These types of beliefs were what sparked the Russian Revolution. Call it what you want, but it's still communism. It's the Saul Alinsky version of communism, of which both Obama and Hillary subscribe to.

I suspect we'll hear much more of this line of thought promoted by the various MSM outlets and wouldn't be surprised to see some form of attacks on private schools, both literally and figuratively.

Hillary is next up and she believe "it takes a village".

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Defending 0bama is defending more Govt control.
He said what he said.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

School voucher is filed on taxes....when you file taxes with a write off, you certify that it is a legal write off.

The Dept of Ed just didn't want to loose money. Very simple.

And there are more attacks. Go review such and you will find them.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Oh, so it is your business where I send my kids to school? And people can't comment on 0bama's statement???

Honestly. I don't know where he ends and you begin.

edit on 14-5-2015 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Ahhh, so I need to interpret what he says....instead of taking his statement at face value...

Back to good intentions and feels.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
Obama basically said the same thing that was discussed in this thread.
Hillary is next up and she believe "it takes a village".

To make an idiot, the village idiot
sorry could not hold myself.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I remember being hideously bored in school, too. Glad to hear they survived it.

I had to work hard in college, because I never had to study, so never learned.

It's worse now then is was then.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I was lucky I think. I always liked learning for the sake of learning. The only times I got upset were when I had to copy sentences or when I had to sit through a lesson over something I already knew.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join