It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

1973 the oil embargo that wasn't one.

page: 1

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:52 AM
With Saudi Arabia back in the headlines and after coming across a post on Reddit where a test question asked whom the Saudis wanted to target with their embargo (America being the "correct" answer to the test) I felt I had to put this thread out there, to show the close relations and cooperation between the Saudis and America.

As we all know in 1973 the oil Embargo hit America and the rest of the western world. This was good for the Saudis because it meant higher oil prices but it was even better for America.

How could an Embargo against you be good for you, to the point that you would ask a country to levy an embargo against you? In 1973 America was reeling from its East Asia adventures. America seeked to establish french style colonies. Not sure if they would have taxed them into oblivion the way the french did and do with Africa, but I am sure they would have seeked out beneficial deals in the countries they would have put under their control. America was in Vietnam to show its resolve but not its resolve to deal with communism, its resolve to deal with any country that would reject being a good colony.

Now back to 1973 several things happened up to 1973. 2 years ago America pulled out of the bretton woods agreement, the dollar was no longer covered by gold and was reeling. In 1973 America pulled out of the Vietnam war almost entirely. And most importantly 1973 saw the birth of the petrodollar. To buy Oil the world had to buy Dollars first.

Now back to the embargo. Why would the Saudis attempt to target America with an oil embargo over the Palestinians and Israel? Soaring oil prices were certainly good for the Saudis but they were also very great for the American Dollar Seen as the world had to buy more Dollar to buy the same oil. Oil went from 1 Dollar and change to an never before seen 5 Dollar per barrel.

Had the Saudis wanted to really target the US they would have pulled out of the petrodollar and accepted whatever currency they deemed stable enough, maybe even exclusively their own forcing the world to buy Ryad first so they can pay the oil. Out of this story the Sauadis got the price hike per barrel and looked good to the riffraff of the Arab world as very staunch anti Israel muslims and the Petrodollar was secured through oil and out of the embargo got an instant boost.

And thats why America in the end pulled out of Vietnam it did not need an extensive network of Victorian age colonies anymore. If you wanted Dollars to buy oil you had to send your national currency or resources which America would use to buy whatever in your country.

As we can see the collusion and cooperation between America and Saudi Arabia is not only close now but was very close in the past as well. You can be sure the all the alphabet agencies are VERY active in the middle east and SA in particular. So any time in the press they say the Saudis did it you have to ask yourself how much did America know and to what degree did it happen on the behest of America?
edit on 14-5-2015 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
a reply to: Merinda

It was the OPEC oil embargo. Not the Saudi oil embargo. But your rage against Saudi Arabia is duly noted.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:36 PM
In 1973 I worked at a Gas Station after school and weekends. I dealt with those long lines of cars, people in a panic, yelling and screaming. I pumped the gas and did the windshield on every miserable car. Some people needed less than a gallon they were so paranoid, I think we put a $5.00 minimum to try and stop this.

What an illusion this Country is.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:43 PM

America seeked to establish french style colonies.

Could you give me any proof of that?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:28 PM
First of all please research Vietnam a little further.Especially the 2 previous countries that were there , what happened to them and how the US became involved.Hint: due to one of the countries you mentioned as establishing colonies at the4 request of a certain organization still smarting from their last defeat to where the US was asked to help. Peace

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:08 PM
Okay yes it was the most signficant member of Opec whom was instrumental to the petrodollar and the 73 oil embargo.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:37 PM
Interesting analysis, the overall speculation that the 1973 oil embargo was choreographed is probably true.
If we loosen our focus on Vietnam to gain a wider perspective we see the Korean war of the 1950's just to the north.
Both wars with fringe nations of Communist China.
Much of the communist war hardware in both those wars was provided by Russia.
You can't get much inside technical information watching reruns of MASH, they could have staged dog fights in area 51 for all I know. I may have been in prison at the time.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:02 AM
During the 1973 oil embargo oil companies were in on it.

I was in the navy at the time and operated out of long beach calif.

We watched supertankers about 50 miles off the coast running up and down the coast in a big oval pattern instead of coming into port.
Yes the Opec countries were cutting oil shipments but the US companies were also slowing down there out put to drive there cut of oil prices up too.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:36 AM
a reply to: ANNED

I have heard this story a few times from people..
Not just on ATS either I mean like older people who were back then..

They said the embargo was a sham and that they oil companies had oil but they had it off shore and wouldnt let any come to the mainland..

new topics

top topics