It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

walmart no longer using the $10 bill.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Any truth in the story that evil Wal-Mart
place insurance policies on their elderly
employees like your friend?

or is that a myth like the underground
tunnels from one Wal-Mart to an other.

I can believe the former, not the later.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka
a reply to: Gothmog

Any truth in the story that evil Wal-Mart
place insurance policies on their elderly
employees like your friend?

or is that a myth like the underground
tunnels from one Wal-Mart to an other.

I can believe the former, not the later.

I dont rightly know about the insurance policies. I will ask though...Curious

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
See there, now just see there....I KNEW it, man.......it's mind boggling too, about the copper penny.....what the hail ?....
'
I'm not so sure we need the copper penny, either

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It might be that Walmart customers simply pay with ten dollar bills more than any other denomination and they don't feel the need to supply them in drawers when shift starts.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: stellawayten

Walmarts lost, buyers gain.....

If Walmart refuses to take a $10.00 bills as legal tender for my groceries, I then get to walk out of the store with my groceries free and legal. And there is nothing they can do about it.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: stellawayten

This site has really gone down hill. Where ate all the old members that want to get to the bottom of something. Now it's just a bunch of smartasset trying to be cute.

Did you choose this sub-forum for your thread?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: newyr

No I did.not. why was it moved here? It is not a lie! Look at reddit!!!

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Maybe because wal-mart employees can't count that high? Or maybe because they can't tell the difference between 1 and 10, so they were giving out $10 bills instead of ones? Who on earth takes cues from wal-mart employees? I'd sooner ask a plant.

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Thought I would share my story. I was at Wal-Mart yesterday in northeastern Kentucky and needed some cash back from my debit card to pay a delivery person later that evening. I had no $50 option so I chose $60 and asked for 2 $20 bills and 2 $10 bills. I was told that Wal-Mart would no longer be issuing $10 bills as change, but would still be accepting them. I pressed for why the change was happening, but no info was forthcoming, just that it had come down to them from the top and they had already stopped issuing $10 bills to them in the cash drawers and while they will still accept them they will not issue them out in change. They were happy to give me 2 $20s and 4 $5s but still an happening.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MythMaster

Bought some essentials and received a 10.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Hi, I'm going to revive this old thread.

I work as a cashier at a Wal-Mart, and today we did go over to this "no $10 bill" system.

We still accept $10's and will give them out as change if they are in our drawer, but as cashiers our starting drawers no longer contain any $10 bills, nor can we ask for them from our managers. I don't know why, and the managers I asked also didn't know. The general reaction ranged from "this is werid" to "this is stupid, what idiot got paid to make this study and come to that conclusion?"

This was just one part of a bigger overhaul that started today in how cash is handled at the front end of our store. I do not know if this is chain-wide or just something new in our store.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I live in Canada, and Walmart in my region has never ordered any $10 bills from the bank right from the get-go in 1994. So Canada was already well ahead of the game.

I personally think there are possible reasons for Walmart's decision not to order any more $10 bills. Most stores have enacted such policy for quite some time by now. One or multiple reasons may apply:

1. Cost-saving measure. Demand for $10 bills have declined significantly since the 1990s (depending on where you are), and as demand goes down, the cost to order them likely increases. It's just that, by 2014 when the "no $10 bills" policy came into effect in U.S. Walmart, the economy was pretty bad and by ordering more $5 bills, they may be saving money.

2. Redundancy. $10 bills were more useful in the 1980s, but by the 1990s, demand for $10 bills had fallen so much and the $5 bills overshadowed $10 bills in terms of number in circulation. There are also claims that denominations that are exactly double of the lower denomination are deemed redundant. Canada likely lost the $500 bill after a very short life of two years because of this. It may also be the reason why half-dollars are no longer minted for general circulation. I think the $5, $20 and $50 are all we really need in circulation.

3. Counterfeiting. While the $20 bill may be the most counterfeited denomination in our currency system as of lately, the percentage of counterfeit $10 bills circulating may be greater than the number of counterfeit $20 bills. Stores giving out $10 bills in change was acceptable in the 1980s, but now it may be quite risky. If a cashier gave out a $10 bill in someone's change and it is a counterfeit, the store is faced with a liability, while keeping the $10 bills in the till and sending them to the bank, at least they may get reimbursed for them. With so few $10 bills in circulation nowadays, the probability of receiving a counterfeit $10 bill in your change may be pretty high.

For what it's worth, where I live (Newfoundland), I have not seen any new $10 bills for going on four years this summer. It makes me wonder if the last remaining banks that ordered $10 bills decided to discontinue ordering them to save money, and to put more emphasis on the higher demand denominations?

With a new $10 bill being released by the Bank of Canada later this year, it would be a very interesting development for sure. If I don't see any of the new $10 bills by Christmas, it might be safe to say the writing's on the wall for $10 bills in Newfoundland, and the $10 bill will become half-dollar/U.S. $2 bill scarce.
edit on 4-4-2018 by DarlaFanbridge because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2018 by DarlaFanbridge because: Additional information

edit on 4-4-2018 by DarlaFanbridge because: Added information

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join