It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elderly cancer patient calls 911 because he has no food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
An 81 year old cancer patient in North Carolina returned home from treatment and realized he had no food in the house. With no relatives in the area and no one else to turn to, he called 911. Fortunately, the operator he got was compassionate enough to bring him some groceries and not let him go hungry.

He had nothing to eat and no way to get to the store. Hungry and desperate, he called 911. He asked the operator if someone could go to the store for him and buy some groceries.

He told the operator whatever she could do would help.

"I can't do anything. I can't go anywhere. I can't get out of my damn chair," Blackmon said in his 911 call.

Operator Marilyn Hinson took the call and told Blackmon they would take him some groceries.

"He was hungry," Hinson said. "I've been hungry. A lot of people can't say that, but I can, and I can't stand for anyone to be hungry."

Blackmon told Hinson that all he wanted was a head of cabbage, some cans of beans and beets, some popcorn, tomato juice, and soft drinks.

With her supervisor's permission, Hinson went to the grocery store and bought groceries. Then, with the help of Fayetteville police officers, she delivered the food in person to Blackmon.

She made Blackmon a ham sandwich, which he called a feast. She also made him a couple more sandwiches for later on.

Blackmon called it a blessing.

"It was like a little miracle ringing in my ear," Blackmon said. "I thought, 'Jesus, you answered those prayers!'"

Blackmon said he will soon have a home health nurse who will check on him twice a week. For now, thanks to a guardian angel, he won't go to bed hungry.

abc11.com

edit on 5/14/2015 by N3k9Ni because: oops

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Awe, that brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing such a heart warming story.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I always tear up when i hear stories like this one, what kind of society are we that we let our elders starve.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Brought tears to my eyes. Someone should start a gofundme page for this poor soul.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
How sad is it that stories like this are actually surprising these days?

Good for the 911 person, did what they should do and not what they are obligated to do. Shame people who need to be more like this will skim the story and not take the hint that not only is this the right thing to do but they could one day be in the same position in need of a little compassion and help.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: proob4

There is an update saying that people have called to offer food donations. His cupboards are overflowing and, bless his heart, he wants to donate the excess to the Salvation Army.

update

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Meals on Wheels would be a blessing for him! He could use someone preparing a couple square meals a day for him. He could also use someone to help with other groceries and errands, etc.

If he dials 211 he will get the United Way hotline in nc and they can help connect him to available services.

So sad for him. Cancer treatment is brutal enough but to be elderly and have no support system... Devastating.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
a reply to: proob4

There is an update saying that people have called to offer food donations. His cupboards are overflowing and, bless his heart, he wants to donate the excess to the Salvation Army.

update

I also hope maybe someone will offer to be his caregiver as well.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It is a senseless crime that anyone goes hungry.
There is plenty of food. Distribution to those in need is not up to snuff.
We will never have a stable society as long as there are hungry people with no home.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
My father is about his age and has cancer as well as not being able to get to the store...I just about broke down reading that just having my father in mind. Thankfully he does have some help, but I can completely understand the situation. I'm happy his call reached the right persons ear.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Yeah and when I saw this there was picture or something posted with it and I thought how convenient someone was there at the very moment he called 911!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

This makes me SO sad...

I am so glad my husband and I were able to take care of my mom. We spent 10 years looking after her, the last four we RARELY left her alone. Did we give up a lot? Yes, we sure did BUT I don't regret a second of it and I am not the one who is ate up with guilt now that she's gone.

So many people are just obsessed with themselves and their "own lives" that they really don't seem to GAF about their elderly parents, aunts/uncles, grand parents, etc. They figure someone else will take care of it, or that they aren't that bad off if they live alone. Most of the time they have no clue...

Hope they can get him set up with Meals on Wheels or something like that so he can get a hot meal once a day. It's a shame, there's SO many programs for elderly/frail people but they often have no clue where to look.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The social worker from the hospital needs to be fired for incompetence. I work for Meals on Wheels and we get many referrals from hospitals and nursing homes for patients being released. The social worker should have seen that Mr. Blackmon had no support system after being released and tried to set up some kind of services for him.

Hospice expenses are covered by Medicare, and many hospice agencies arrange for Meals on Wheels as part of their services. Since Mr. Blackmon is over 60, he falls under the Older Americans Act. Were he to contact a Meals on Wheels agency that received OAA funds, he could not be refused service due to inability to pay. He could have a hot meal delivered to his house every day.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Great story but it also brings another question. I hope when I am elderly and can't take care of myself that I can request to be euthanized. I'd seriously rather be dead than to suffer and make my kids life a living hell. It's one thing to be brought up in this world in diapers, I don't want to go out in diapers too.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Thanks for posting the humane side of our species, yep I had some wet eyes reading and watching.
S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I'm glad that he got somebody with some humanity. He could have gotten somebody that would tell him to get off the phone and stop misusing the 911 system. I hope he gets help getting around soon.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

There still are good people in the world, maybe not as many as there used to be, but maybe enough. It's a real shame these good people are not in positions of power where they can really make a difference. I would trade Harper (Obama in the US case) and probably 99% of the government for one Marilyn Hinson and I'd still think it wasn't a fair trade, maybe Obama, Harper and both governments would be a little more equitable.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
He's a veteran, I notified all our brothers and sisters in Fayetteville of this, he will be looked after.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
"God" bless you 'Marilyn Hinson' and I truly mean that...And thank "God" A Live TV crew and cameramen were also there for Mr. Blackmon's security and safety. I mean, one never knows with two 'police officers' there...

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That poor dear sweet man. Thank God for those looking after him. My Mom is 91 and thankfully she just lives in the apartment below me so I can help her with many things.

If anyone has any elderly neighbors who do not have family members nearby or able to look in on them, please check up on them! You just might be the Angel they need in order to survive!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join