It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE SIMPSONS ARE DEAD! R.I.P. No Burns. No Ned. It's Dead.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I am The Simpsons biggest fan. I am so confident in this fact, I will refuse to debate the issue.

Having stated this, I therefore state that the show is over and there is no reason to keep watching. If Harry Shearer is walking, then so am I. The Simpsons were born around 1989. My first son was born in 1989. The birth of my son was the most transformational event in my life. The Simpsons ranks not far behind. Why? That could be a whole book. But let me just say, when I first watched the shorts on the Ullman Show, I thought, someone finally sees the world the way I see the world. After that, I didn't feel so lonely in thought.

Recently, I watched the entire series of animated shorts called Llamas in Hats. I watched this with my young son. After I watched the entire thing and felt exhausted, I began to wonder about the future of the Simpsons. I have been doing so for a long while now. To make this brief, I almost felt the Show Should Stop. To be fair, I decided to watch the most current show and rate it. Afterward, I thought the show still had legs. Of course it's not equal to season 8. But the episode was still more entertaining than almost any other show. Yes, there are some fresher cartoons. Mike Tyson, I'm laughing at you. Nicaragua Canal, how ridiculous. Until I realized it's a real thing. I digress.

I just read the news the Harry Shearer is gone. So am I. I will stop watching. I suggest that if you love the show and want to get Harry back, you'd better speak out loud and clear. I am doing my little part. I was going to make a video and post it on You Tube. I would, but I'm ugly.

SO, I write. You should too. Write and address the Show. I know it would be tough to get Harry to come Back. But so what.

I could write, and write, and write about how and why Harry is central to the show. And, I don't know the situation, nor do I care. The show will make my head hurt. No, Ned? Hello. In short, without Ned, where's the counter balance to HOMER. I was going to pass over the fact that there is no Mr. Burns. Huh. Where's the evil? How can there be good without evil.

The Show has already jumped the shark. Not sure when- don't care. The show post-shark-jumping, was still better than everything else. So, we watched and just enjoyed. (By the way, the shark wasn't the principal and the pauper, i love armin tamzarian) The Show has lost characters and kept going. This is different. This stupid move is knocking out one of the legs of the table.

Bring Back Harry.
Or, end the Show.

CBC
www.cbc.ca...

BBC
www.bbc.com...

FOX NEWS
www.foxnews.com...

edit on 14-5-2015 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

SIgh. I finally had the gumption to read the article. The headline set me off before I had time to think. That last bit was all emotion. The reality is, they are getting other people to voice the characters. There's too many to make them all go away. This has led me to a decision. Which I'll get to after I explain a little about my mania. Biggest fan remember. Family buys me The Simpsons underwear.

I will not watch another new episode. I like the last one I watched, titled "The Kids Are All Fight" That's the last memory I want. I will watch the old ones. But I will not watch any without Harry. So, there's a couple that I can watch... Shut up. Sorry. I will not watch an episode of The Simpsons without Harry. At the end of one of the article it calls us "OUTRAGED FANS", yes, that's it.

I am that, I am outraged. NOT, that it's life changing or anything. I'm mentally ill, not crazy. I've outgrown idol worship, and I put the Show into proper perspective. So, I am boycotting the Show. Or, I consider it, over.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Yes Harry was a major part of the Simpsons. The show will not be the same without him. I can't see the Simpsons going on without him.
BUMMER!
edit on 5/14/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I just saw this posted online. Pretty sad.

Although I love that show I feel it's gone on for too long.

A lot of their newer episodes just don't seem as good as the old ones. Feels like they're trying too hard to get a laugh imo.

Please don't shout at me...

edit on 14/5/2015 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891

Need we remind you that The Big Band Theory lost a voice-only member of its cast last season and continues.
Have you spoken to anyone but us about your problem?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If you were to ask my family or anyone who knows me, they would tell you that I am honest.

So, just now I was thinking about what I had just written just then in my opening post. I was laughing at how stupid I was. And how funny life is. Am I really this upset. Yes. But like I stated, it's relative. Then I thought about my written sentence concerning my underwear. Yes, how funny and silly are we. This is about money and Merchandising. I was pretty sure that without looking, I knew that I was wearing my newest pair of Homer underwear. Sure enough, I looked and there was a half naked homer and duff beer mugs all over my boxers. Yes, I will have to tell my family to stop purchasing anything to do with the Simpsons.

DO YOU HEAR THIS FOX TELEVISION?
NO MORE MONEY FOR YOU!!!!!!!

NO MORE FAN.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I love you. And the answer is yes, thank you for asking.

And, there is no comparing the shows.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Seasons 1 - 10 were the peak with 3 - 8 being by far the best.
Everything after that has declined year on year.
It's a very tired show any more so they need to call it a day - probably should have around 10 years ago.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels
Seasons 1 - 10 were the peak with 3 - 8 being by far the best.
Everything after that has declined year on year.
It's a very tired show any more so they need to call it a day - probably should have around 10 years ago.

Agree 100%. The shows in seasons 3 & 4 were brilliant.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Hmm. I haven't watched The Simpsons in like 15 years. I enjoyed it when I used to watch.
Voice actors dont matter. they are paid to read lines. once they start losing talented writers is when a show gets hurt. Is that the case here?

A job shouldn't be a sentence or a curse..if your job was making a funny voice while reading a line, great...but its hardly a society critical position you are required to do until you die. let the guy have a different experience now, and let someone new try out a job they may have dreamed of doing for years.

In a subsequent tweet, he explained that his departure was "because I wanted what we've always had: the freedom to do other work."

Voice acting is a great job if you get in with a good business, but the problem is, it can pay well, but it will never really pay superstar wages if you are only a voice actor and not a well known celeb voicing (Mark Meer verses Patrick Stewart)...still, a job where pants are optional and being part in iconic media is a good job..dont get haughty, everyone has a voice and many would love a crack at it for a fraction of what an established voice actor makes.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Voice actors dont matter. they are paid to read lines.

I beg to differ. I don't think I could handle a slightly-off-voiced Flanders or Mr. Burns.

The "wrong-sounding Muppets" clip from Family Guy comes to mind.

It's so true. If you grew up in the 70's or 80's, just try watching some current Sesame Street. That is painfully NOT Ernie.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: muchmadness

Exactly. Kermit doesn't sound the same. Jim's dead. Frank's still kicking and keeping it on though.

As to this I think it's a power play. Harry is more than just one character.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891

just gonna leave this here in case you've not seen it.

"Rick And Morty Kill The Simpsons In This Hilariously Gruesome Couch Gag"

io9.com...
edit on 15-5-2015 by thishereguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Who cares who does the voices? They don't have any involvement in the writing.
The people they get to replace him will probably sound identical to his portrayal of the characters.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
At least we now know Handsome Dan will be a returning character in Wayne's World 3!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The Simpsons will carry on. Harry Shearer may be deemed important, but I believe Hank Azaria is the more essential voice actor. If Hank is gone, the show is history. As long as the show keeps the writers and producers to keep the storylines fresh, it will carry on. Fox will audition voice actors. Heck, I may submit a application because I can do a Monty Burns very well myself. Excellent!!!!

top topics

join