It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freight train derails in Hazelwood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

As many as 10 train cars derailed this morning in Hazelwood, Allegheny County emergency officials said.

The incident was reported around 10 a.m. near the 4100 block of Second Avenue, officials said.

It wasn’t immediately clear if there were any injuries or what the train was carrying. Some of the rail cars were on their side, and their wheel sets separated from the cars.

Allegheny Valley Railroad confirmed the derailed train belonged to the company but had no further comment.

John Poister, state Department of Environmental Protection spokesman, said his agency had not been alerted to the derailment as of 10:30 a.m.

The derailed part of the train includes six covered hopper rail cars and four open hopper cars.

This is just breaking now so there isn't a lot of information to report, but a freight train outside of Pittsburgh just derailed.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

As many as 10 train cars derailed this morning in Hazelwood, Allegheny County emergency officials said.

The incident was reported around 10 a.m. near the 4100 block of Second Avenue, officials said.

It wasn’t immediately clear if there were any injuries or what the train was carrying. Some of the rail cars were on their side, and their wheel sets separated from the cars.

Allegheny Valley Railroad confirmed the derailed train belonged to the company but had no further comment.

John Poister, state Department of Environmental Protection spokesman, said his agency had not been alerted to the derailment as of 10:30 a.m.

The derailed part of the train includes six covered hopper rail cars and four open hopper cars.

This is just breaking now so there isn't a lot of information to report, but a freight train outside of Pittsburgh just derailed.

From the story, the derailed ones were hoppers, so whatever was in them couldn't have been anything dangerous I would think.

Will be interested to see what they say about the accident.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yea, I'm not expecting many casualties or anything. I'm really more curious to find out why it happened. How many train derailments does that make within the last so many days/weeks?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yea, I'm not expecting many casualties or anything. I'm really more curious to find out why it happened. How many train derailments does that make within the last so many days/weeks?

Trains derail every day. Most just don't make the news because they don't explode or cause deaths.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
From the pictures it looks like this is also on a curved section of track.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Speed + shifting cargo + turn on the tracks would be my guess.....

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Fair enough. One of the reasons I posted this thread in this forum was because I didn't think it was too significant of an event to post in the Alt News Forum.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Are we having ground movement back east? Could this cause the tracks to get out of alignment?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Train derailment happen everyday in canada, they dont make the news because most of the time its not close to here people live. Ebola didint kill america, the new horror death by train.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Huh! Been busy. That's 15 miles from here. BRB!

pittsburgh.cbslocal.com...
edit on 14-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

No problems... just gonna make traffic a pain. Funny it was only going 10 MPH. Must have hit a rock.

edit on 14-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

top topics

join