It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autistic Man killed by police at station

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Autistic Man killed by police at station on video.

Brutal. The cop should defend himself but with all of the cops in the room, slamming someone's head into the floor is a bit of overkill.

What do you think?

www.liveleak.com...

“Once control was gained, it was found that Mr. Dehmann had hit his head on the floor during the incident,” the report written by sheriff’s Sgt. Alan Hackman says.

Yeah he hit his head alright, he was pile-drived into the floor.
edit on 14-5-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

The female officer humored the guy, the second one picked a fight!

So wrong in so many ways.

Won't change until some of these morons get long jail time.

Pointing a finger is now punishable by death.

P

edit on 14/5/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
He squared off against the cop who threw him to the ground. Helluva price to pay.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

So sad to watch. That could have been anybody having a bad day. Somebody who just lost their job, got dumped, or maybe their dog just died. Anybody could have the sort of harmless meltdown this guy did. To react to an unarmed drunk person with such aggression and brutality is evil.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
He squared off against the cop who threw him to the ground. Helluva price to pay.

A cop who isn't smart enough or trained enough to understand the difference between a dangerous threat and a drunk in custody needs to be in jail and kept safely away from the public.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
They won't hire police officers if their IQs are too high, no joke.a reply to: Cuervo

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Snarl

A cop who isn't smart enough or trained enough to understand the difference between a dangerous threat and a drunk in custody needs to be in jail and kept safely away from the public.

LOL we're in a argumentative mood today, huh? Couldn't get enough from GH in the other thread?

I guess that's one fewer drunk to worry about menacing society now id'nt it?

Helluva price. You can bet the cop will walk. Can't expect an LEO to face a physical assault with his hands tied behind his back. Looked to me like a fair fight with a bad outcome for the perp. I'm glad it was a cop who killed him instead of Joe Civilian. Because Joe Civilian would wind up going to trial.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699
They won't hire police officers if their IQs are too high, no joke.a reply to: Cuervo

I've seen that comment here many times and I wish just once one of you would post your evidence. I was an officer for 15 years and my IQ is 156. Is that too low to be a cop?

It was a terrible thing that happened but what did you expect the cop to do wait until the guy decked him?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

No he wasn't. He was slammed down, not head first though. Whether things could have gone down differently that is not a move with a high likelihood of serious injury, and I have no problems with their actions.

Why do people look for every single thing to nag about, there are plenty of actual cases of police brutality.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I just watched this the other day, very sad to watch.

The kid should not have pointed his finger at the cop or square up after the cop knocked his hand away.
Just tired of that being some ones death sentence cause a cop wants to use that as a reason to try out the sweet move he saw watching WWE.

Just seems the response was over the top.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The police need to be trained to handle the public as we are not as they want us to be.

A person receiving treatment for autism is usually familiar with being put in a two person restraint. The point is to eliminate the chance of injury to themselves or others.

CLEARLY this wasn't proper training.

ETA: I'm very affraid for my children to have any interaction with LEO. The bottom line is they don't understand appropriate and non appropriate. Add an escalated emotion to LEO not understanding what they are working with and you have headaches at the very least, at the worst tragedy like this case.
edit on 14-5-2015 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: mikelkhall

first source

man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city. The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

Second Source

have suspected it, but now it appears to be official: police departments refuse to hire applicants with high IQ scores. Critics of law enforcement have long suggested that police officers tend to be selected for their lack of critical thinking, but news that department hiring processes officially disqualify high-scoring applicants might still come as a shock to many.

There's "hundreds of sources" and no disrespect to you but it's known around the world that the U.S. police do not hire above average IQ officers. Main reason is those with higher IQ tend to become bored and leave the force which costs money for their training.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: infolurker

No he wasn't. He was slammed down, not head first though. Whether things could have gone down differently that is not a move with a high likelihood of serious injury, and I have no problems with their actions.

Why do people look for every single thing to nag about, there are plenty of actual cases of police brutality.

Actually... watch that video again and this time do it more carefully.

He is taken down by what is known as a head and arm choke. It is a pretty basic judo/bjj technique.

Now in doing this particular takedown, one of the reasons it is a favorite of many is because you have a lot of control over how a person lands. As shown in the video below, you can take them down easily and lock right into the choke and put them to sleep.

However, as taken from judo, if you turn your hip into it and throw with some more force, you can drive the head into the ground hopefully knocking your opponent out and ending the fight that way.

So this was not a simple case of "he slammed him".

The other issue I have with this video is that the man points at the Officer. He DOES NOT make contact with the Officer. It is actually the Officer who escalates the situation by swatting at the hand of the drunk man when he points. Thus it is the Officer who escalated the situation. As a result of the swat, the man squares off with the cop.

At this point it gets tricky. The guy is drunk. The guy is a mess. However, the Officer can not know what this man is or is not capable of in the moment. Now he is a threat, even if the chances are very very slim of the drunk man doing any real damage, I can not expect an Officer to underestimate anyone who squares off to him no matter what the circumstance.

That being said, he did not have to plant the guy on his head. He did not have to escalate the situation to begin with. I have no doubt that this Officer KNEW exactly what he was doing as evidenced by the second view that shows what happens AFTER the slam......

The Officer quickly throws a leg over and moves into what is called the mount position, and from here you can see he CLEARLY had the head and arm choke LOCKED in. This is a sign of a guy who knows what he is doing.... and considering his job he should know these types of things.

Now in watching the video it is important for me to explain something that some might not see nor understand, but anyone trained or who has experience fighting will. When the Officer ties up, he has done what I like to call "getting home". Now what do I mean by that? It means putting yourself in a position to end the fight with options. If you watched that video I posted, you will notice where the instructor slides his own head behind the arm and begins discussing the two different ways to grip. Either by clasping the hands together or by grabbing and holding at your own elbow. This is the exact moment when you have "gotten home". Here you have options. What the instructor does not explain is what options you have by gripping the elbow.

By gripping at the elbow what you have is A) A standing head and arm choke. B) A Head and Arm choke/neck crank type of move.

Now what some people do not realize is that there are two different types of chokes. 1. Strangulation. This is what most people think of when they think of a choke. The cutting off of oxygen to the brain. Then you have 2. A blood choke. It is a restriction of blood to the brain.

The head and arm choke falls under the #2 category. It restricts the blood flow to the brain. You are still able to get air. Air flow is restricted, but not cut off. Getting a breath is tough, but what puts you out is actually the lack of blood. By simply holding this position, the drunk guy would have been out cold in 5-12 seconds.

Therefor- there really was no need to slam him down. The Officer could have easily just held that position for a few seconds (cause drunk guys DO go out quick), and allowed his coworkers to get a handle on this guy- then this would have been over with. The need to throw him down was intentional and done with the intent to cause harm. There is no doubt in my mind on that.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
The police need to be trained to handle the public as we are not as they want us to be.

A person receiving treatment for autism is usually familiar with being put in a two person restraint. The point is to eliminate the chance of injury to themselves or others.

CLEARLY this wasn't proper training.

ETA: I'm very affraid for my children to have any interaction with LEO. The bottom line is they don't understand appropriate and non appropriate. Add an escalated emotion to LEO not understanding what they are working with and you have headaches at the very least, at the worst tragedy like this case.

The police are trained to handle the public. Sometimes the public, especially when breaking the law, does not want to be handled.

Was the autistic person wearing a shirt that read "I am autistic please place me in a two person restraint so I am not injured or so I won't injure you"? Please inform us how this was not proper training. I know when I went through the academy mind reading was not an elective.

If your children are not breaking the law then chances of them interacting with law-enforcement is very slim.

How could you tell that there were escalated emotions to LEO not understanding what they were working with?

Personally I wish you, with your superior mental abilities, would tell us lesser people how you would have handled this situation from your armchair.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

I do appreciate you taking the time to show sources although both sources cite the same case. I stand corrected that something as stupid as that has taken place. All of the departments I have ever worked at or been around require college degrees in order to advance in rank. New London must really be special.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Why are you glad a cop killed someone?

Cause he threw an open hand what I guess you could call a punch at a cop?

Ya, menince to society that needed to be taken out of this world.

Don't think anyone is asking him to face an 'attack' with his hands behind his back, just able to take restrain a guy without killing him.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrWendal
Actually... watch that video again and this time do it more carefully.

He is taken down by what is known as a head and arm choke. It is a pretty basic judo/bjj technique.

Now in doing this particular takedown, one of the reasons it is a favorite of many is because you have a lot of control over how a person lands. As shown in the video below, you can take them down easily and lock right into the choke and put them to sleep.

Gee thanks for that, especially since nothing contradicts what I said. I would imagine locking the choke in and putting him to sleep is not allowed, so no, that was not an option.

However, as taken from judo, if you turn your hip into it and throw with some more force, you can drive the head into the ground hopefully knocking your opponent out and ending the fight that way.

So this was not a simple case of "he slammed him".

Actually it is, and you don't even realize you are supporting my post. The poster said he was pile drived onto his head. That did not happen. He was slammed onto his back and his head bounced off the floor. He was not slammed on top of his head, that did not occur.

The other issue I have with this video is that the man points at the Officer. He DOES NOT make contact with the Officer. It is actually the Officer who escalates the situation by swatting at the hand of the drunk man when he points. Thus it is the Officer who escalated the situation. As a result of the swat, the man squares off with the cop.

Aahhhh no, you don't let a drunk, aggressive person put their hand up to your face. The officer was absolutely right to swat it away.

At this point it gets tricky. The guy is drunk. The guy is a mess. However, the Officer can not know what this man is or is not capable of in the moment. Now he is a threat, even if the chances are very very slim of the drunk man doing any real damage, I can not expect an Officer to underestimate anyone who squares off to him no matter what the circumstance.

I agree. As I said this may not have been the only option, but it's not one I can fault him for taking.

That being said, he did not have to plant the guy on his head. He did not have to escalate the situation to begin with. I have no doubt that this Officer KNEW exactly what he was doing as evidenced by the second view that shows what happens AFTER the slam......

The Officer quickly throws a leg over and moves into what is called the mount position, and from here you can see he CLEARLY had the head and arm choke LOCKED in. This is a sign of a guy who knows what he is doing.... and considering his job he should know these types of things.

Thanks, I already knew all that, it's simply not that relevant, but, if anything, it's evidence there was NOT any intent to slam the guys head. The intent was to put him on his back and secure him, not knock him out by smashing his head on the ground.

I know all about Judo, BJJ, and the maneuver that was used. Police can't choke a guy unconscious, he does not have that option no matter how much you want him to. There is no problem with what the officer did

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

There is simply no need for the officer to have responded with such heavy force.....if you see this is as ok i am glad you are no longer an officer as you are of part of the problem....

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

There is simply no need for the officer to have responded with such heavy force.....if you see this is as ok i am glad you are no longer an officer as you are of part of the problem....

Personally I saw nothing wrong with what the officer did. I find it terrible that the gentleman died. I have been in the same situation many times and I usually prefer an inside or outside leg sweep but it really depends on the situation.

I am no longer a police officer because, while I was on foot working an accident, some nut-job fiddling with her cell phone decided to go around two police cars in two lanes with blue lights on blocking the scene and ran over me at 55+ MPH. Thank you for thinking me part of the problem. I actually loved working with the public but you don't care about that you just want to talk down to an officer or, in my case, a disabled/retired officer.

Edit to add: You probably think that she was well within her rights to be fiddling with her cell phone and running me down.
edit on 5/14/2015 by mikelkhall because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Ya did you see how agressive he was with the female officer!? I don't know how she made it out alive!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join