It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Education rankings... USA 28th

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
some seem to learn about this fact latest aswell

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I've long suspected that its been a deliberate government policy to downgrade the standard of education. Done because ignorance is easier to govern and manipulate than intelligence and the power to reason and understand - especially what the government is doing.

They don't need the masses educated simply because cannon fodder should never have the faculities to think, otherwise they wouldn't obey and go to war or slave for low wages.

Immigration serves to import better educated people who are grateful to leave their own countries or see better opportunities in the West. They are less likely to upset the status quo and doubtless care for the masses.

This has been going on since the 1950/60's in the UK so I doubt its any different in the USA. Just a simple look at the drop in education standards in the UK in the 60's when the GCE's (General Certificate of Education for 16 year olds on varied subjects) were replaced by the GCSE's a slide down the ladder - even our universities have problems with the basic education of some students today coming through our primary and secondary educational systems. Just ask yourself how many download homework today and you have another piece of the ever lowering standard especially when what they download comes from varied sources such as Wiki etc etc.

If you can articulate good argument you are a threat because other people may listen to you instead of the media.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: stumason

Inability to see the actual facts of the situation is why the British Empire is subservient to the U.S. That post was meant to expose the reason for much of the anger against the US it's called envy, the green eyed monster.

It's not envy. If you feel better within yourself convincing yourself the rest of world is envious then carry on and be deluded. Stumason tried to educate you but......oh I forgot, the rankings......hmmmm

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: jackjoedoe
a reply to: stumason

Self ritouse much...?

You mean self-righteous.

(See, the point of the OP proven).

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

a reply to: 727Sky

Do you know what I had for dinner tonight? Inch and a half thick ribeye steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, a big salad, a great big cold glass of milk then I topped it off with apple pie and ice cream. And I actually threw about half of it away. What did the rest of the world eat ?

Yeah we still have it like that! I think the rest of the world is confused by a case of envy!!

Envy because you can eat a steaks.

Really???

Go visit Europe, do you think the Italians, French or Spanish are envious because you had a big steak.

I think not.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Do you know what I had for dinner tonight? Inch and a half thick ribeye steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, a big salad, a great big cold glass of milk then I topped it off with apple pie and ice cream. And I actually threw about half of it away. What did the rest of the world eat ?

Yeah we still have it like that! I think the rest of the world is confused by a case of envy!!

Really???

Go visit Europe, do you think the Italians, French or Spanish are envious because you had a big steak.

I think not.

When the news came out that some restaurant in the US was using horse meat, the French said "What's the big deal? We eat horse".

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

He ain't doing his American brothers any favours by living up to that negative stereotype, LOL!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

It is a program that was actually started during president Kennedy's term in office and is ran through the U.N.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) is a worldwide study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in member and non-member nations of 15-year-old school pupils' scholastic performance on mathematics, science, and reading. It was first performed in 2000 and then repeated every three years. It is done with a view to improving education policies and outcomes. It measures problem solving and cognition in daily life. [1]

470,000 15-year-old students representing 65 nations and territories participated in PISA 2009. An additional 50,000 students representing nine nations were tested in 2010.[2]

youtu.be...

edit on 14-5-2015 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Really???

I think not.

Some young Americans are kind of picky, they don't like foods that they can't perceive the rest of the world eating.

In India they eat rats, in China they eat cats and dogs, in France (and some countries) they eat horse. I have eaten alligator and menudo.

Some young Americans are actually quite sheltered. They are terrified to even try other food because it just sounds icky to them, and yet even in America there is a multiplicity of foods that some find really strange, in the US!!!! Go figure.

I have met many young sheltered Americans. They call themselves diverse and yet shudder at the horror of the idea of people eating scorpions and rattlesnake.

If you think I'm kidding, watch this...

The Midwest...is....the UNITED STATES and the Midwest is AMERICAN. See the problem with sheltered young people assuming California is American while the rest of the country is not. And if you thought that was ridiculous, then this one...

As though the Southern states aren't American either.

See, that's the problem we have with sheltered Americans, they present themselves as American to the rest of the world and have no clue as to the rest of the country.
edit on 5/14/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: Snarl

Not to derail your thread, but it really boils down to separation of Church and State. The state wanted say-so in marriage and that resulted in divorce rates that are insane. I mean, how often does the Church dissolve a marriage?

So the seeds for this nations destruction was sown when it was founded? If this were a religious run nation we would be way lower than 28th.

Ahhh Buster!! Wrong thread, brother. I guess your voice wasn't heard there ... so here you are.

We were doing just fine in the 50s/60s of the last century ... Back before you progressives with your commie agenda took root and started to blossom.

One doesn't have to look hard to see what Common Core sprung up from.

Perhaps you should go back and reread the ignorant post you made that I replied to. What was different back in the 50's and 60's than now? We didn't have politicians use their religion to get into office separation of church and state stood firm. Religious nutcases getting into public office that let their delusions override reason is why education is dropping off.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I did. If you would stay on topic and drop the sarcasm you might be able to actually add something we can talk about. Like what to do about our education system.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
John Oliver breaks it down pretty good on how both party are full of %$# in fixing education in the US.

He covers how gov't once again has allowed a Corporate Oligopoly to F up'd an industry [Education - this case] by allowing them to regulate and influence the same industry they directly profit from.

Please smack yourself, if you think your party is going to fix this.

Please smack yourself, if you think we should concentrate on fixing education without removing the conflict of interest first.

Please smack yourself, if you think we should be discussing and focusing in fixing the symptoms in this country like : healthcare,employment,immigration,racism,gay marriage,foreign relations, SS, taxes, etc ... instead of the bullet lodged in our head which is the Oligopolies drafting and influencing our laws.

Please smack yourself, if you think that a congressman sits down and thinks: what can I do today to make things better for my voters and what laws can I come up with to help, versus the Lobbyist who spend millions a year to have a team of lawyers on standby with the sole purpose of creating and drafting regulations for their benefit.

YOU are the problem in this country if you had to smack yourself more than once!

Break the cycle, voting isn't going to fix anything, its a slogan. It hasn't changed anything, the same issues still exist today as they did numerous decades back.

YOU Have to join forces together and temporarily put your party ideals to side, and concentrate on the ONE REAL issue that breaks it for everyone but the Oligopoly in charge.

The only issue that should be put focus on is : The BLANTANT conflict of interest in congress between the lobbyist who draft the laws and stand to profit from the changes, and our congress that robosigns the policy changes and puts the burden on the backs of the upper middle-class to the lower bottom class.

When Nancy Pelosi said “But we have to pass the [health care] bill so that you can find out what’s in it....”
She wasn't lying , she just signs what the Oligopoly Healthcare industry put in front of her.

/rant

Don't worry I smacked myself several times for thinking people would eventually see the REAL problem and what should be made issue #1 and that common-sense would eventually prevail.

Squirrel ...
edit on 25531America/ChicagoThu, 14 May 2015 10:25:50 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Really???

I think not.

That without a doubt is one of the silliest replies I received in this entire thread.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

I did. If you would stay on topic and drop the sarcasm you might be able to actually add something we can talk about. Like what to do about our education system.

Maybe you should stay on topic. The topic of this thread is just another thread about how stupid Americans are. Read the 0P again..............

How is common core and no child left behind working out ? The seeds of our own third world status are

You're just miffed because the allegations are untrue the results are biased. Sorry to burst your bubble but we are the greatest nation on earth at the moment. I know you like to get online and trash everything about the country you live in. And just like B it is just a popularity contest to you on this site. You have no idea of what is actually happening in the world.

So play your little games spin your little fantasies. But if you don't want to hear the truth don't engage me.
edit on 14-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Maybe you should stay on topic. The topic of this thread is just another thread about how stupid Americans are. Read the 0P again..............

How is common core and no child left behind working out ? The seeds of our own third world status are

You're just miffed because the allegations are untrue the results are biased. Sorry to burst your bubble but we are the greatest nation on earth at the moment. I know you like to get online and trash everything about the country you live in. And just like B it is just a popularity contest to you on this site. You have no idea of what is actually happening in the world.

So play your little games spin your little fantasies. But if you don't want to hear the truth don't engage me.

I AM American and I say American youth are stupid.

They think they are intelligent, but alas, no. Their education standards have dropped and it was not because of religious politicians. How many of you young people on this thread who are defending the education system, tell us, at what grade did you read any of the classics? How many of you listen to Classical music? How many of you have read any books from philosophers?

Can any of you young, educated, smart people tell me the difference between Marx and Trotsky without going to Wikipedia? Can you tell me about the waiter, as Sartre conjectured?

But how many of you can parrot the mantras of Dawkins and Hitchens? Maybe you can tell me about Anime. Perhaps you can even tell me about Angry Birds or Epic Rap Battles of History. What you do know, and I have seen it for 10 years now, is that you perpetuate the myth that holocaust never happened, you never invest time into researching the fact the the very anti-Zionist fraud Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion was that, a fraud.

What have you young people learned?

You believe that TPTB are controlling you, well, THEY ARE and they are doing it by making you stupid and causing you to believe that their education system has educated you.

The topic of this thread is correct in its assumption, the educated youth are barely educated. But hey, why don't you tell me some Stewie Griffinisms to justify how smart you are.

... _ _ _ ...

Help us all, please.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Thank you for calling me young. I feel like a young 52.

Started reading the classics in gradeschool sunshine how about you? I will agree with you in part, our greatest problem in education. Is that the youth does not study learn from or in any way understand history.

I have read that many high schools no longer make it a requirement. The inability to understand the mistakes of one's pastonly repeats the processes we should've already learned from.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

So people should stay in marriages that are intolerable or abusive because their church won't let them get a divorce?

Sure divorce rates may have gone up, but that's just unmasking how unhappy the people were anyway. Just because the church won't grant a divorce doesn't mean the people are happy.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Whilst I agree with the general thrust of your post, I would take issue with you tying listening to Classical Music or reading ancient Philosophers has anything to do with being intelligent.

Classical Music is crap and the ancient dudes are largely irrelevant (and wrong, in many cases), with many more modern writers to choose from.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Classical music is far from crap Stu,it can be a stunning display of sonic perfection with it's many colourful counter melodies entwined into a tapestry of beauty that few musical styles can compete with in terms of technique and melody

It's the pinnacle of perfection unless your ear favours the out notes of jazz,or the partnering of meaningful lyrics with catchy chorus sections that used to dominate country and rock bands

To my American friends here don't take those world ranking personal,it's not an attack on your country it's clearly showing your slipping in this area and perhaps you should correct this before

We also get streaks over here,in fact one of the worst steaks I ever had was in America :-/

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Thank you for calling me young. I feel like a young 52.

Started reading the classics in gradeschool sunshine how about you? I will agree with you in part, our greatest problem in education. Is that the youth does not study learn from or in any way understand history.

I have read that many high schools no longer make it a requirement. The inability to understand the mistakes of one's pastonly repeats the processes we should've already learned from.

I am younger...you get your kicks above the waistline. (snap, old music reference).

What did I read? Hmm, by the time I was nine years-old, I actually read Jaws (hardly appropriate for my age group), but then by the time I was 12 years-old I had read War and Peace, Gone With The Wind, Lorna Doone Prometheus Unbound, or Frankenstein's Monster, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, The Count of Monte Cristo and many more. I also, on my own, read Shakespeare. I listened to Classical music, my favorite was Verdi.

But to be a well-rounded individual, I listened to The Dr. Demento Show on the radio. But I also listened to The Grand Ole Opry. I also read Edna St. Vincent Millay, along with Lord Byron. But then to still be well-rounded I also read A.A. Milne.

I played clarinet in the fifth grade until it broke and my parents could not buy another one.

And all this while growing up in a white trash, impoverished family, and I was Dyslexic also. I have severe Dyscalculia, and that sometimes has hindered me. But nothing, nothing, nothing in my parents' vocabulary ever said to me that white trash was the end for me.

I was born white trash (and I say that knowing and with no disrespect) but I am sure not now. I have a brother who worked for NASA, another who retired from the Navy as a Second Lieutenant. There was nothing we chose to do that kept us in a state of uneducated morass.

That's why I think of these young people today who are so sheltered believing themselves to be so educated, what keeps them in their state of being? I took it upon myself to learn to play the violin, why? Because that's what classy people listen to.

I hope that helps. I was born and raised white trash, impoverished and abused, and yet would not say "this is how it will always be".

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join