It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with chronic, debilitating nausea

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100
Really? I think my mum is probably worried it is something like this knowing what she is like. I don't think it is though, being rational and looking at all her gastro problems I was kind of going more that way, the ENT Dr said go to gastro first and then neuro if that shows nothing up.

I thought you must be the real deal, "Scouse" doesn't travel all that far from home...and I mean that in the best possible way

If your Mum is anything like me, all her stress rests on her stomach no matter what is wrong with her her stomach is going to act up BUT that can conceal problems when they do occur. Any number of things could be causing her nausea, ENT is the most obvious and cheaper initial course of action...but if you don't get answers keep plugging away at your GP etc, they depend on you doing so because you/your Mum knows the situation better than they ever can and they can only interpret the information that you provide them with. Start keeping a diary, a written record, it helps the doctors, which will help you.

Don't worry though, the wheels are turning. Work on the eating though, either way, that is important as you know.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Please don't rule out physical causes. It is very easy to go for the dietary as a probable cause, but a simple thing such as dental problems or a suddenly inflamed soft palate can often cause these symptoms.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

Really? I think my mum is probably worried it is something like this knowing what she is like. I don't think it is though, being rational and looking at all her gastro problems I was kind of going more that way, the ENT Dr said go to gastro first and then neuro if that shows nothing up.

I thought you must be the real deal, "Scouse" doesn't travel all that far from home...and I mean that in the best possible way

If your Mum is anything like me, all her stress rests on her stomach no matter what is wrong with her her stomach is going to act up BUT that can conceal problems when they do occur. Any number of things could be causing her nausea, ENT is the most obvious and cheaper initial course of action...but if you don't get answers keep plugging away at your GP etc, they depend on you doing so because you/your Mum knows the situation better than they ever can and they can only interpret the information that you provide them with. Start keeping a diary, a written record, it helps the doctors, which will help you.

Don't worry though, the wheels are turning. Work on the eating though, either way, that is important as you know.

Very true

Thanks, yes she is like that, well we both are so it must run in the family! Great idea about the diary and yes the eating I need to keep nagging her! There were a few days there where she would not eat anything but then the Dr came and gave her a telling off so she is forcing a little down now although it makes her feel even worse.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Coming to ats for medical advise isn't a very good idea. If I'd have listened to the " medical wisdom" of ATS id be dead years ago. I have chronic nausea because I have a brain tumour. The only way I deal with it is anti sickness medication and lots of sleep. It could be litterally anything, I imagine if she has been Assessed by a Dr a brain tumour will have been checked for. Get it sorted out and make sure she is honest about any other symptoms, sometimes we hide other symptoms from our Drs out of fear of what it could be. You have to make sure Dr is aware of all symptoms

edit on 13-5-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Coming to ats for medical advise isn't a very good idea. If I'd have listened to the " medical wisdom" of ATS id be dead years ago. I have chronic nausea because I have a brain tumour. The only way I deal with it is anti sickness medication and lots of sleep. It could be litterally anything, I imagine if she has been Examined by a Dr a brain tumour will have been checked for. Get it sorted out and make sure she is honest about any other symptoms, sometimes we hide other symptoms from our Drs out of fear of what it could be. You have to make sure Dr is aware of all symptoms

I know, you are right of course but any new takes on this are much appreciated, even scary ones because the Drs seem clueless to be honest so far and that worries me although of course we are still pushing on with the tests they recommend. She is worried they won't find a cause and she can't go on the way she is.

Wow so you have personal experience of this, sorry to hear of your ill health, how are you getting along at the moment?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Very true

Thanks, yes she is like that, well we both are so it must run in the family! Great idea about the diary and yes the eating I need to keep nagging her! There were a few days there where she would not eat anything but then the Dr came and gave her a telling off so she is forcing a little down now although it makes her feel even worse.

Don't nag...tempt. I'm in a slightly similar position myself, I spent the last six months stressed to the hilt, not that anyone would ever know, except that I am over a stone lighter, and I didn't have it to lose. I have a very difficult relationship to food, I have to fool myself to get it down when I am like this. Go round the supermarkets, grab all the free foodie mags and leave them next to her. The body does what the mind tells it to, you sometimes have to get the mind on board though

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100 my health is a long story, so I'll spare you. The key is not to jump to the worst conclusions and don't use the Internet to diagnose. It will generally scare you, which isn't very useful.maybe write down how exactly she feels on a day to day diary. Make sure you write down all the questions you have and all the symptoms experienced. Just say your concerned it could be a neurological problem, they maybe able to rule it out for you which would then provide some relief and mean other diagnostic tests could be carried out. By registering your concerns, they will either confirm or eliviate your concerns , just make sure you tell them, the worry of not knowing is contributing to the sickness, so you need answers

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Scouse100

I had a period of time where I would be sick, seriously, violently sick, off and on for months. Not as bad as what you describe, but it got to where I was afraid ti eat. I spent a lot of time tracking exactly what I ate, and when I was sick, and finally worked out the problem. The key thing that was making me sick was frozen chicken. Not just wrapped up stuff in the meat case, but the bags of flash-frozen pieces, usually boneless and skinless, that we'd been buying because they were cheaper. Something about the processing, my system simply could not handle. We eliminated that, and the problem went away. I do have to watch what I eat still, to a point. For example, I can't eat BK anymore, because literally everything there makes me sick and it never used to. If the doctors aren't finding a reason, I'd seriously look to the food. It might not be an allergy, per se, just a sensitivity. It's worth a try, anyway. Prayer sent for her, for some relief.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Anaana if the Dr does the correct job, he will want to find out what's wrong, you can only find out what's going on in the brain with an MRI.if the Dr doesn't know what's going on, he should refer the patient to a neurologist. I can't see why this should be a problem. The neurologist will carry out a number of tests, but will only be able to know 100% is with an MRI scan. Depending on how serious the neurologist thinks the problem is will depend the waiting time. Because I'm already in the system, I don't wait longer than a week if I've got a suspected problem. The neurologist, may rule out a neurological cause, but only an MRI will confirm a brain tumour. It's scary, but putting it off out of fear isn't the answer. I can testament to that. I knew something was wrong for about a year, but was too scared to go and see a gp about it. It was only after I had a seizure and went to A&E that I was referred to a neurologist. I waited it our in fear for a few yeahs before hand. Paralysed by fear.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Thank you for sharing your experience, a lesson for us all I feel.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Try Good Quality Kefir - preferably made from raw milk.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
how's the tap water where she lives? does she drink it? i was that sick once, found out i was pregnant. so here's a theory: if they don't find a gastro reason, her hormonal levels may be outta whack. has she already gone thru menopause? if she has too much estrogen or one of the other hormones is too high or low, it can throw off the whole system. the pituitary gland regulates hormones. if there is anything impacting the pituitary, such as a localized tumor, that can throw her whole system off. is she experiencing other symptoms besides nausea?
edit on 13-5-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Scouse100 my health is a long story, so I'll spare you. The key is not to jump to the worst conclusions and don't use the Internet to diagnose. It will generally scare you, which isn't very useful.maybe write down how exactly she feels on a day to day diary. Make sure you write down all the questions you have and all the symptoms experienced. Just say your concerned it could be a neurological problem, they maybe able to rule it out for you which would then provide some relief and mean other diagnostic tests could be carried out. By registering your concerns, they will either confirm or eliviate your concerns , just make sure you tell them, the worry of not knowing is contributing to the sickness, so you need answers

Journaling for something like this is a good idea.

Those of us with migraines do it to help us pinpoint what our triggers are.

Just keeping a detailed a detailed journal of all the factors that might have something to do with her nausea along with her episodes might help you learn something.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Has her doctor tried the anti nausea drug called Maxalon (Pramin) ?

I used to suffer from extremely bad nausea from GERD,(Gastroesophageal reflux disease) and would throw up bile every morning before work for eight months, eventually the vomiting put a tear in my diaphram and i had to stop work.I had a nissen fundoplucation (stomach operation) and i went from throwing up at least once every day to not actually being able to bring anything up at all.But i still occasionally get bad nausea so to prevent any damage to the area operated on my doctor prescribed me maxalon to use when feeling nauseated,and i must say NOTHING i have ever tried works as well as Maxalon.I have been so nauseous that i cant stop the vomiting reflex,taken a maxalon or two, and within half an hour to an hour i not only dont feel nauseated any more i am usually very hungry and can eat a descent meal and keep it down.I am pretty sure that you can also get Maxalon injections for when you cant even hold down the water and tablets.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Thanks, she drinks cheap bottled water as a friend recommended this to her. She has had a hysterectomy many years ago and is quite a way past menopause age. We did consider hormones as we were both extremely ill during our pregnancies.

She has more than her fair share of ill health so it is hard to know what is related and not. She also suffers frequent urination (for a long time), IBS with bouts of diarrhoea and constipation (may also be from the meds), occasional balance issues/dizziness, chest pain caused by acid (for some time now). When the Dr pressed her stomach last week she was in a lot of pain, assumed it was the hiatus hernia/acid.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks, yes I do think we should definitely do that, she has seen a fair few Drs and I fear things are getting forgotten or missed so we need to keep everything together.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DMC71

Thank you, it doesn't ring a bell, I will mention it to Dr today when she calls!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

another issue could be related to blood sugar and since that's regulated by insulin, a hormone, we're right back to the possibility it's hormonal. blood sugar can be erratic, so much so that a blood test may or may not reveal when you've become a diabetic. but since she's not experiencing neuropathy, i'm not sure if it's blood sugar related often enough, meaning it could be that her pituitary is not working right so it intermittently causes symptoms of various kinds as it misfires the signals for various hormones. however, it's odd that it is consistently effecting her stomach.

the frequent urination could be a sign of diabetes, the dizziness as well since it causes blood pressure to rise, but the tender abdomen is a head scratcher.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Scouse, will you please keep us updated on how your Mom is, and what they find? I can't imagine what is so difficult for them to diagnose, with all the tests she's had.

(I took some meds once (an antibiotic) that made my stomach go nuts... it was inflamed, not irritated mind you, but it felt like someone had filled it with baby sharks. Nothing helped. I finally decided to let it "rest" and ate a minimum of food, mostly drank Ensure which somehow soothed it. It took about three months for it "to heal". I lost five pounds (which I couldn't afford to lose either) but finally it mended itself.)

Your mother would know... if it was something like that. She would know. So, it depends on the doctors to figure it out, which I hope they do soon. Please let us know? Okay?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

yeah i'm allergic to eggs but didn't know it. always had indigestion and acid reflux. drank mylanta 2 like a fish, barely helped at all. so doctor gave me upper gi, twice, and said, my stomach lining was granular like sand paper and red, and should be smooth and pink. so he put me on a bland diet that included poached eggs, the very thing that was causing the problem in the first place. about drove me nuts.

then one day my sister asked me what i was eating regularly, and when i told her, she said to try not eating eggs for a month and see if it gets better. before even the first week was finished, i was almost completely cured. last thing that happened was my regular doctor gave me something to expel all the gas that had been created as a result of the allergy to eggs. needless to say, i needed to issue gas masks to my loved ones for a couple weeks lol

food allergies (and that includes allergies to liquids as well), can really screw you up. before my issue was settled, almost everything gave me painful reflux indigestion. after i removed eggs, i could eat normally again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join