It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Hate You Windows 8

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
i use windows 7, and have set all my setting to not do updates until i tell it to.

but windows says "nevermind that, here's 29 updates for you....you better not unplug that computer"

So there i am, already running late for work, needing to pack up the laptop and head out.....but having to wait for Scumbag Windows to do 29 updates that I didn't authorize.

I feel your pain.

That's kinda strange BFFT. I run 7, and have never had it do an update I haven't authorized. Sounds like one or more of your settings got changed without your knowledge. Some updates will actually change your update settings. Though MS swears that doesn't happen.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
That sounds like an update, or group of updates that were downloaded but never installed, or never installed properly. You might try restarting in safe mode, and renaming the "software distribution" folder (located in the windows/system32 folder) to "software distribution old".

Then restart windows in normal mode, do all updates, then, again make sure your settings are the way you now have them set, and see if that resolves the issue. 7 shouldn't do that. None of my 7's ever have.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I hate it too. The constant updates are annoying. When I try to avoid an update it seem like my computer runs slower and crappy. Why so many freaking updates?!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: TheJourney
Control Panel> Windows Update>Change settings>"Check for updates, but let me choose..."

I did this, and it's still saying it's going to automatically restart for ANOTHER update in 5 minutes.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
My wife needed a new laptop shortly after W8 launched, but long enough after that most stores were not carrying W7 machines anymore. She was starting grad school, so she wanted something a bit nicer than the little netbook she had been using. So we reluctantly went shopping one morning, got talked into a W8 machine by the salesperson at Best Buy. It had all the bells and whistles, plus a touch screen! The salesgirl did a heck of a job, made us think it would be awesome and easy to use. We thought it was the right laptop for us, walked away excited and confident in our abilities to use the new technology.

We returned it that evening, super annoyed and frustrated.

We wound up heading to Costco to see if they had anything, not very hopeful. We found one computer. It was an open box, former display, that had been returned. But it had all the same specs as the W8 machine we had, sans touch screen and Blu-Ray player.

That was back in late 2012. I'm using the laptop now to type this.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Give an Apple Computer a try. It will make your life 1000 times easier. Trust me.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It would if it's already downloaded. Once the computer finishes the present updates, it should stop doing them automatically.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I've got some bad news for you...

Microsoft executive Jerry Nixon confirmed at the company’s Ignite conference last week that the upcoming Windows 10 update will be the company’s last version of Windows. That doesn’t mean Windows is going away — far from it, in fact. Microsoft plans to update the OS in a more incremental manner going forward, and that could mean a much more dynamic platform.

extreme tech

Get used to the updates-there will be more.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Both our rigs imploded on us a couple weeks ago, and we went to hell and back to make sure we could put Win 7 back on them. When 10 comes out, we'll likely pick up a copy of it because I here they learned a few things about how bad 8 was. At least I hope so, I think one of the main complaints (aside from general crappiness for desktop users) is that the OS is a CPU hog for some reason. It looks and makes demands on your system like a shiny, high end video game.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Um... just glancing over your post... you need a Mac.

I'm serious, not a joke.

Sometimes PC operating systems is just not designed for certain people. I'm certainly not claiming to be smarter than you or somehow you're just below average compared to others.. but Windows isn't for everyone.

I know it sounds stupid to certain people, but Windows is actually a operating system designed for entry level IT professionals. Believe it or not.

Mac OS X Yosemite might be your best bet.

From the frustration you are describing, a Mac will be a perfect fit for you.

Updates are done similar to the way your cell phone updates software. You don't really need to install any anti-virus software, programs are deleted upon dropping them into the trash bin, none of that sophisticated uninstall process.

Everything is intuitive, designed so that a 5 year old can operate.

You just need to deal with less Microsoft software support, such as Office tools. They do have Office on Mac, but it is a piece of # to work with. Mac comes with free iPage, iNumber, iKeynotes, which essentially acts the same as Office but with less functionality.

In short, you want a Mac to look pretty as your new house decor. You want a Mac because PC is just annoying to use. You want a Mac when you don't want to mess with computers and the only time you want to use it, is to get something done, like writing a paper, video editing or stuff like that.

You want a PC if you want customization and generally speaking, if you spend more than 3 hours on a PC a day.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

I absolutely hate Apple products, mostly for the social value they carry.

But you are correct in that for a beginner, a Mac would likely provide a better overall experience. Until there are problems and they want a friend to have a look at it. But that should be fairly rare.

I bought my oldest a macbook air for his college graduation. He loves it to the point of getting a little like Smegal.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I absolutely hate Apple products, mostly for the social value they carry.

But you are correct in that for a beginner, a Mac would likely provide a better overall experience. Until there are problems and they want a friend to have a look at it. But that should be fairly rare.

I bought my oldest a macbook air for his college graduation. He loves it to the point of getting a little like Smegal.

I work in IT for a university, so I use and work on Windows and OS X machines. I use and like each operating system for different purposes. However, I must say my MacAir is probably the best all around computer I've personally owned yet.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

he's entering the masters program....so I just knew he would need something stable, light/portable, and dependable. I wasn't able to find a better machine available outside of something ultra exotic.

and i got the 3 year "accidental droppage" plan, because despite his educational level, he's still a moron.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
You made the right choice.

I would love for people to name me laptops that can go toe to toe with a Mac Book. Most people that do list it, doesn't research very well into the Mac Book fabrication process, because once they start comparing a CNC unibody fabrication, there is no comparison.

Find me a laptop out there, that has equivalent or better cosmetics. You can't. Many have tried and failed.

Lenovo Thinkpad? A joke comparison.

Asus? Acer?

It's as if it's Brad Pitt playing Achilles: "IS THERE NO ONE ELSE!!!" I SAID! IS THERE NO ONE ELSE!!!!!"

Yup, Mac Book is that good.

You might be able to find a laptop, that has better specs and cost about $200 to $300 cheaper than a Mac Book, YOU MIGHT.

BUT, the unit you find will never be able to compare the overall cosmetic and practical features on the Mac Book.

To put the candy sprinkles on top, find me a PC laptop, that carries a resell value.

When you buy a Mac Book Pro or Mac Book Air, the resell value after 2 to 3 years worth of use is still very high. As the "SOCIAL VALUE" of this product is very high in the market.

So it really might look like this:

1. Mac Book Pro
Spec A
$1299 + tax

Two years average resell value: $700

2. Insert your brand PC laptop
Spec A
$1099 + tax

Two years average resell value: $0

I mean, I seriously hate Apple stuff myself, but in certain segments of the market, they are dominating like a king for a reason.

You simply get more out of your $ buying an Apple Computer vs a PC.

To me:

PC is just like Import Tuner Japanese cars. Very cute toys, you can mod the bit jesus out of it, crank it up to be a super beast by using all custom parts.

Mac is like the European expensive imports. Higher quality control, always on par with most current technology trend, overall just luxurious to own.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

But you said it yourself, that's IF you want a laptop. I don't.

For one thing, I don't want to drop over $1,000 on something all at once. Buying my own PC rigs affords me the opportunity to drop my money in $100-$200 increments and keep my machine reasonably up to par which is something Apple products don't allow me to do.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

You should be able to turn off the updates. Right-click on what used to be the start button, and click to open the Control Panel. Select Windows Update, then choose Change Settings. Once there, under where it says Important Updates, set it to say, "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". I am using 8.1, and that worked for me. I loathe auto updates myself.

That said, I really don't like "Window 8", and yes, window, not windows, since you can't use but one for most apps anymore! Horrible OS.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
People who buy apple tend to sell because of the "got to have it" way that apple products go. The resell value is better with apple stuff i agree, but there are good laptops out there.

There are certainly good laptops from many brands, they might not hold their value exactly as well but im not one of those use-till-death types away so that factor .... well it isnt a factor.

I got a 14" touch screen well over a year or more ago that still works just great which i got with OS, office and decent security suite for a song. It has a battery that runs for hours and hours, which is what i wanted from it and has had no problems. I COULD upgrade but unless a newer one had a HUGE amount better battery life, weighed half as much or some other major benefit im not even thinking of trading it in yet.

I do not like apple and yes you can install windows if you wish without voiding the warranty, are they better? Yes most head to head are better for a laptop with the same specs/features but its also X% more money, some of which can be re cooperated if you upgrade every 2 years. This is also only true for medium to top spec machines, apple simply cant and often doesnt even bother trying to compete in the bargain/eco markets.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

One of the updates added the sweet surprise that if you shutdown using the shutdown button it forces any downloaded updates. I now use the command prompt to shutdown. shutdown -s no more surprise updates on shutdown.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I hear ya man, I was sick of Windows 8 then one day ENOUGH ! Wiped the machine and installed Win 7 Ultimate, purring like a kitten. Highly recommend it OP

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Get a computer without Windows 8 on it.

Just my advice to you, from the co-founder of the "Windows 8 Sucks" Club.

As a beside, my stove, according to my husband, is the windows 8 of kitchen appliances. lol... no more knobs to turn to the desired temperature. Only buttons and now he cannot so much as make a frozen pizza...

hahahaha

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join